non-resident general elk hunt

deadibob

Long Time Member
A couple non-resident friends are thinking of coming to Utah for a general season elk hunt. I saw no mention in the elk changes concerning non-residents. Do they put in the same way as residents by jumping on the computer when the starter gun goes off? I assume they are included in the caps for spike and early weapon hunts.
What about the muzzleloader hunts, does the 15,000 spike tag cap include both the muzzy and any weapon hunts?

This was my first time looking at the changes and when I read "the major theme was to increase elk hunting opportunity" it makes my butt pucker because that's code for "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY" :eek:

Last edited:
You Got it Bob!

OPPOR-F'N-TUNITY & PISS ON THE HERD!

All For The Almighty Dollar!

A couple non-resident friends are thinking of coming to Utah for a general season elk hunt. I saw no mention in the elk changes concerning non-residents. Do they put in the same way as residents by jumping on the computer when the starter gun goes off? I assume they are included in the caps for spike and early weapon hunts.
What about the muzzleloader hunts, does the 15,000 spike tag cap include both the muzzy and any weapon hunts?

This was my first time looking at the changes and when I read "the major theme was to increase elk hunting opportunity" it makes my butt pucker because that's code for "MONEY, MONEY, MONEY" :eek:

There is no non residents cap on the general elk tags, if 10,000 NR logged on and got tags, before the residents did then so be it.

You're fighting for the same tags as a resident when they go on sale... but that is for first season. Go second season when the tags sold are unlimited.

You're fighting for the same tags as a resident when they go on sale... but that is for first season. Go second season when the tags sold are unlimited.
That was my assumption just because there was no mention of non-residents.
I will still buy a three season tag for myself and I actually like that for archery you can hunt spike or any bull units. Of course there will be less of them so I imagine if you have to wait online for more than two hours they'll be gone.

My thoughts were to put them in for the first season and if they don't draw then just buy a second season tag.

Hey Bob!

When You Get That 3 Season Tag Make Sure & Get One For Me As Well!

That was my assumption just because there was no mention of non-residents.
I will still buy a three season tag for myself and I actually like that for archery you can hunt spike or any bull units. Of course there will be less of them so I imagine if you have to wait online for more than two hours they'll be gone.

My thoughts were to put them in for the first season and if they don't draw then just buy a second season tag.

Why in the hell would you ever consider Utah otc when you could hunt Colorado. I once saw a plate on the north slope from Illinois and busted up laughing that he traveled one state further. You have a lot better odds killing a bull in Colorado.

The reason they don't cap non resident OTC bull tags to non res is because first, any non res who hunts it usually doesn't come back and number 2, randy Gooberburg has talked mad **** on the utard general elk hunt so his minions have not descended upon our state like they have elsewhere.

Why in the hell would you ever consider Utah otc when you could hunt Colorado. I once saw a plate on the north slope from Illinois and busted up laughing that he traveled one state further. You have a lot better odds killing a bull in Colorado.
?Saw Nebraska guy last year, thought same thing

I think it might make sense for some NRs to do a General Season Spike hunt if they wanted to scout for a LE hunt, but otherwise I'd recommend saving time, money, and effort for something else. A General Season Any Bull hunt could be okay if you had access to private land, but buyer beware for Any Bull hunts on public land.

I Know That JakeH But I Didn't Know If Bob Knew about it?

No Spike Hunting For Me!

AKA Killing Our Future Bigger Bulls!

I'll Let Everybody-else Do That!
I didn't know about it until I read the details. I thought they did away with the three season tags altogether but you can still buy the spike three season and hunt both spike/any bull during archery. I like that even better because I like to hunt any bull during archery and spike for muzzy/rifle.

The trick will be to get one before the 5,000 sell out.

I got a feeling we will see the general season tags selling out even faster, especially the multi season tags, but I guess you can always get an archery tag with option to take a cow. This system is absolutely genius.

I see Oregon, Texass, and Wisconsin’s in my elk spot.

One Texan killed a six point. He was ecstatic! So he came back the next year. Only thing he saw was us. He asked us if we have ever got an elk in this area. I said, “sure.” He then asked if it tasted rancid. I said, “nope.” He said his six point tasted rancid and wondered if it was due to the area he shot it in.

Never mind the fact he killed it opening day amd his sons hunted for another four days. Then he threw the meat in his horse trailer with his horses and drove on back to Texass….thought they were brighter than that down that way? Must be related to Tri. To the Texan who came to Utah to waste opportunity and meat….thank you ?

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom