Non resident noob questions

Gollywomper

My son and I are beginning to plan/look into a DIY mule deer hunt. Doing some research and things seem a bit confusing in regards to tags, general vs the other types. Hopefully someone here can breakdown and explain the ins and outs of applying.
Also looking for recommendations on a zone. We would like an area we can set up camp at the truck and hike out each day. Thanks in advance.

Buy a preference point for you and your son before oct 31. Going into 2021 you will each have 1 point. Research regions using the wyo website hunt planner to see if you can draw a tag. Good luck.

Buy a preference point for you and your son before oct 31. Going into 2021 you will each have 1 point. Research regions using the wyo website hunt planner to see if you can draw a tag. Good luck.
Might want to buy an antelope or elk point as well! If your son is a youth, under 18, there might be some good cheap options for a type 4 cow elk tag with 1 point...

Well my brain is on overload as all I have done lately is read on various units and draw odds and points needed and.......
As our first trip out of state (California) it won’t take much to get us excited. So any advice on an easy to draw tag with plenty of Opportunity at 140-160 class bucks?

Well my brain is on overload as all I have done lately is read on various units and draw odds and points needed and.......
As our first trip out of state (California) it won’t take much to get us excited. So any advice on an easy to draw tag with plenty of Opportunity at 140-160 class bucks?
Ha I wouldn’t plan on that those units take multiple points

I would recommend picking up something like a goHUNT subscription is some other tool that helps you break down units, draw odds, land ownerships, harvest success, wilderness, etc. For me, it’s worth my time. Makes going out of state and planning hunts easier.

I can’t think of any units that are easy to draw that 140-160 inch bucks are plentiful.

What units or regions hold deer of that caliber? Just trying to get an idea of what to expect as far as points needed to draw. We will buy a point For this year.

Every unit is capable of a 150" deer but it takes scouting, some luck, work. If you want to hunt more often focus on on areas you can draw every other year. Maybe come hunt one year and gain experience before building points for "better" unit. There are big deer killed in general regions every year. Do you want a mountain experience? Prefer to hunt sage? Camp at truck? Hike in 5 miles? Lots of factors. The research is part of the fun. Good luck.

Every unit is capable of a 150" deer but it takes scouting, some luck, work. If you want to hunt more often focus on on areas you can draw every other year. Maybe come hunt one year and gain experience before building points for "better" unit. There are big deer killed in general regions every year. Do you want a mountain experience? Prefer to hunt sage? Camp at truck? Hike in 5 miles? Lots of factors. The research is part of the fun. Good luck.
Yes. Thinking desert country and a camp at the truck with plenty of available land for day hike/hunts.

Plan on what? We realize it going to take some time to draw a decent tag. Just looking for something that might only take a few points vs a 10-15 year wait.
Im not trying to be a smart a$$ I’m just saying a lot of people think because it’s WY there are 150 in deer around every corner I’m in a unit now that took 10 points and I’ve yet to see a 150 in buck yet after 3 trips just find an area you’d like to hunt and scout

Im not trying to be a smart a$$ I’m just saying a lot of people think because it’s WY there are 150 in deer around every corner I’m in a unit now that took 10 points and I’ve yet to see a 150 in buck yet after 3 trips just find an area you’d like to hunt and scout
Yes. I too thought this. However after a very short amount of time have realized it’s gonna take more points than I hoped. There are a couple units that caught my interest though. Will be researching more on those.

Yes. I too thought this. However after a very short amount of time have realized it’s gonna take more points than I hoped. There are a couple units that caught my interest though. Will be researching more on those.
You might be able to get what you want from a Region like H, but it is going to take some work finding an area you can hike in from the truck that doesn't have a ton of pressure. It can be done, but not simple. The issue you have is, you will need to go the Special price and you will need 2-3 years of points to draw, unless you hit the random draw, which is currently sitting at just under 20%. Might as well try with those odds.

You might be able to get what you want from a Region like H, but it is going to take some work finding an area you can hike in from the truck that doesn't have a ton of pressure. It can be done, but not simple. The issue you have is, you will need to go the Special price and you will need 2-3 years of points to draw, unless you hit the random draw, which is currently sitting at just under 20%. Might as well try with those odds.
Hmm sounds doable. Deer unit 138 is the same as elk 98? Looks like easy to draw cow elk tag. My son will be 17 in December. So think I will hit him an elk point. He should be able to draw cow tag next year. That will give us an excuse to go put boots on the ground and check out the area before we draw for deer. Sound like a decent plan?

Another question, I should change the name of this to “Gollywompers endless rambling and questions”, why do so many of the cow/calf type tags have such a low success rate? Many are in the mid to low 30’s.

Some areas are wintering areas, no snow no cows. Some mostly private land, no access.
For me, I have private access for cows and buy a cow tag every year. Some years I fill my general or LQ tag and don't even hunt for a cow when I have a tag.

Another question, I should change the name of this to “Gollywompers endless rambling and questions”, why do so many of the cow/calf type tags have such a low success rate? Many are in the mid to low 30’s.

Some due to people being flat lazy and not knowing how to hunt elk. I hunted less than 2 days last year on public land and shot 3 elk. Helped 5 friends and went 5/5 in 4 days of hunting.

Some due to people being flat lazy and not knowing how to hunt elk. I hunted less than 2 days last year on public land and shot 3 elk. Helped 5 friends and went 5/5 in 4 days of hunting.
We don’t know how to hunt elk. If we don’t have success it will not be for lack of effort though.

Don’t let the haters bring ya down, find a area you want to hunt and go enjoy with your son, 150’s + can be had and give her hell on the elk hunt even if ya never hunted elk before!!

We purchased deer and elk points. Then decided we will need a wall tent. Found one that was only used once, smaller 9x11, but picked up for $400. Need to install a stove jack. But was a great deal I couldn’t pass up.
Now we are looking at areas we may draw with 1 point for deer. Obviously they won’t be the greatest. We would like to be able to camp and have a few/several square miles from any other roads, if possible. Prefer some desert, not sure why but love the desert hunting. If anyone has any recommendations, would love to hear them.

Lots of great deer come out of 0-1 PP areas, you'll just have to work for them. Pick a region with a few general areas in it.

Whatever unit you chose, find a spot that might look obvious on a map but its hard to get to. The most valuable piece of info I've picked up on hunting out west is to get away from other hunters. Find a small chunk of public land that requires a mile + hike to get into and you'll do fine. Not saying the obvious large chunks of national forest or state land are bad but if there's 3 other trucks parked where you're going, you're in the wrong spot.

Whatever unit you chose, find a spot that might look obvious on a map but its hard to get to. The most valuable piece of info I've picked up on hunting out west is to get away from other hunters. Find a small chunk of public land that requires a mile + hike to get into and you'll do fine. Not saying the obvious large chunks of national forest or state land are bad but if there's 3 other trucks parked where you're going, you're in the wrong spot.
My hopes are to find a place to set up camp and be able to spend several day hiking/hunting from camp. I Have a lot of E scouting to do this winter.

Don't over look HMA's or walk in areas. You just need to look on the wyoming fish and game website for more specifics. It will all be under the public access tab.

Look for terrain that'll discourage ATV/UTVs. It's difficult as they seem dedicated to driving everywhere, but it seems like few want to really put miles on the boots.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom