non residents losing a few tags

Tackdriver

From the October game commission meeting... SPECIAL DRAW ALLOCATION PROCESS

Chief Liley provided the Commission with a brief summary of how the big game draw functions. First and foremost, the Commission sets the level of take by Rule every 4 years. Every year when the application period ends for the draw, each individual application is assigned a random sequence number. A computer program then examines each application in numerical order starting with the application randomly assigned #1. When an application
is examined, the computer attempts to fulfill the first, second, then third hunt choices subject to the quotas (84% resident, 10% outfitter pool, 6% non-resident DIY).

The Dept. always runs into an issue in making this draw allocation work exactly according to the quota statute because there is an inherent flaw in the mathematics written into the law. According to the statute the Dept. must allocate a minimum of 84% to resident hunters (the 10% and 6% pool do not have that caveat). The statute also states that if the allocation results in a fraction of a tag than the Dept. shall round-up for anything over 0.5 and otherwise round down. However, mathematically it is impossible to follow both requirements in the statute. In the past the Dept. has handled this fractional remainder by adding tags to the draw. However, Department Director Mike Sloane does not wish to continue this practice. The Commission voted to approve the issuance of permits strictly based on the minimum 84% (no longer adding tags to the draw)

Also in the past if 10 tags were available, 1 went to N.R. That's no longer the case either. 13 tags minimum for a N.R to get 1.

Don?t think it's 13 minimum for NR to get a tag. As I understand it once the 84% resident is met the next available tag could go to a non resident 6% pool or a outfitters 10% pool( which doesn't have to be non resident). I didn't totally understand which pool it will go to? But NR need to pay attention when applying so they don't apply for a hunt they can't mathematically draw.

Really annoying seeing as many of the antelope hunts now only have 5-10 tags...

I'm really going to regret my miss in 17 last year as I'm not drawing that ever again :D

I hate the new format on here,
and I hate that NM is not giving a non- successful app their money back for hunting license if your not drawn I call BS

All states are going to the non- refundable license fee. It does suck that it's turning more to a rich mans game and state agencies are doing it to the hunter. On the flip side I pay a lot more in other states that non-res pay $65 in NM for the hunting license. AZ $175 and CO is around $100

Hi Muleman, I agree with you, it's really bad that AZ makes you buy a hunting and fishing license to draw for just a hunting tag no fishing at all. I do have to say though I did get a elk tag for the first rifle hunt for my second choice by default of another hunter who had to turn in the tag so that's cool!

Joe

Hi roadrunner, you know I never thought about that, good thing your here to help me out with the big decisions.
You Rock!
Joe

I hate the new format on here,
and I hate that NM is not giving a non- successful app their money back for hunting license if your not drawn I call BS
When a state goes to non refundable license required to enter the draw it kinda seems to tempt a lot more into applying than the year before because they think u get what u pay for i guess. I loved how a lot of people praised this change because they thought less would enter and give better draw odds!! I knew better but many cant see the forest for the trees. These are the same people that scream hunting is a dying sport even as they complain about the sub 1% draw odds in New Mexico. Good luck in the draw this year and maybe if u guys can convince New Mexico Dept of Taxes and Liberals (Game and Fish) to double license costs next year it will reduce app #s

missed the excitement of the "backdoor" days of NM haha, you guys that have been applying for a while know what I mean!.... Also, miss will miss the refund on the license but I will still apply in NM

BeastN, first off I drew 5 tags in 4 straight years
second Kelly Wells told me that NM has on the books a state law prohibiting them from keeping your license fees it just takes some people to start complaining and forcing their hand.
I think that’s why they started out keeping the fees them changed to not keeping then back to keeping

joe

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom