Nonresident Elk Draw?

Not many years I pray I don’t draw. But this is one of them.
Kind of with you this year one_dryboot. Have 3 good hunts with family and friends already.

Also a high possibility for a 3rd season Colorado deer with one of my son's.

Should be a full fall. If one of my sons drew a long shot elk we will make it happen and enjoy, but probably better next year or in the future.

Good luck to all in the draw.

Kind of with you this year one_dryboot. Have 3 good hunts with family and friends already.

Also a high possibility for a 3rd season Colorado deer with one of my son's.

Should be a full fall. If one of my sons drew a long shot elk we will make it happen and enjoy, but probably better next year or in the future.

Good luck to all in the draw.
I’m in the same boat. Drew a great Utah elk tag, taking my boys to Colorado. Have 3 whitetail hunts in SD, Ks, Iowa. I’m going to be Divorced and fired from my job.

I hope to see a successful email as well, but needs to be a lucky random
I'm hoping to draw in the random as well.
I originally wanted to hunt unit 53 but they eliminated that unit this year. Put in for the 54-1 hunt instead (which now includes most of the old unit 53). They added a few tags to the 54-1 hunt due to the change and hopefully should now be a random tag available (they also eliminated a lot of the private land out of 54 and moved it to unit 65 which should eliminate many of the LO tag reductions). They also changed the end dates for the 54-1 hunt rom November 30 to October 30 and then added a new 54-3 hunt for the month of November.

There have only been 10 applicants left after the initial 54-1 draw the past two years. I'm hoping a few of them switched over to the 54-3 tag and that would leave the 54-1 random odds at better than 10% 🤞

South Dakota whitetail are extremely boring to hunt and taste like crap. All other whitetail are delicious and a pleasure to hunt.
GVH
I assume that was a jab directed at me?:ROFLMAO:
I have to agree with you on that though. I don't get too exited about hunting whiteys much any more. I will pull a tag every few years as a filler after everything else is done. When I do hunt them it is on the prairie. Don't have the patience to sit in tree stand or blind so prefer to spot/stalk em like mule deer.

GVH
I assume that was a jab directed at me?:ROFLMAO:
I have to agree with you on that though. I don't get too exited about hunting whiteys much any more. I will pull a tag every few years as a filler after everything else is done. When I do hunt them it is on the prairie. Don't have the patience to sit in tree stand or blind so prefer to spot/stalk em like mule deer.
No sir, it was not a jab at you. It was stay away from SD whitetail because it makes my draw odds better. A joke in general. I love hunting whitetail in the BH. I have yet to hunt SD whitetail in the priaire, but have enough points to draw one of these days.

I would say that depends on where and how you hunt. if you're hunting spot and stalk I don't see much difference between that and mule deer except the whitetail are smarter. if you're hunting from a stand, I have to leave my ammo at camp so I don't shoot myself . it's as boring as fishing I can't do it.

Praying that my son draws his Wyoming elk tag, going to be a challenge in scheduling as I drew a Utah antelope tag . Unfortunately my tag dates are right when we want to be chasing elk in Wyoming end of September/ first part of October. If he draws plans will center around his hunt. Fortunately its only a day drive from Southern Wyoming to central Utah . If there's a will , there's a way.

No luck for me but I wasn't expecting anything with only 16 points on a Max point tag. Congrats to everyone who did cash in thou!

No kidding?!? I drew it with one less then max so I must have pulled a random tag?
I have double checked and I did not draw in the Regular (draw) unit 58, with max points. Last year, it was 100% with Max and 75% with one under max. :unsure:

I am still very happy that my dad drew. Unit 100 will be great for him so all is great.

Congrat's to those of you who drew!

Last edited:
I am wondering why there was a quota of zero tags for unit 31 type 1 (nonresident)? Anyone know anything about that?

I have double checked and I did not draw in the Regular (draw) unit 58, with max points. Last year, it was 100% with Max and 75% with one under max. :unsure:

I am still very happy that my dad drew. Unit 100 will be great for him so all is great.

Congrat's to those of you who drew!
I drew it in special with one under this year. Looks like the special price scared people off (I figured unlikely because you’ve gotta hire an outfitter in there anyhow), or more likely so many of the max point guys thought they were a lock on it in the regular draw since it’s bounced around. Looks like I had a better chance in special with one less then max then max guys did in regular draw. I’m so many years into this a few hundred more for the tag was a bargain for me to get it over with.

Interesting to watch how some of the regular/special draw odds flip year by year. Everyone trying to bet the odds.
Probably is the last 2 years my plans have not worked.

I'm hoping to draw in the random as well.
I originally wanted to hunt unit 53 but they eliminated that unit this year. Put in for the 54-1 hunt instead (which now includes most of the old unit 53). They added a few tags to the 54-1 hunt due to the change and hopefully should now be a random tag available (they also eliminated a lot of the private land out of 54 and moved it to unit 65 which should eliminate many of the LO tag reductions). They also changed the end dates for the 54-1 hunt rom November 30 to October 30 and then added a new 54-3 hunt for the month of November.

There have only been 10 applicants left after the initial 54-1 draw the past two years. I'm hoping a few of them switched over to the 54-3 tag and that would leave the 54-1 random odds at better than 10% 🤞
I debated between the 54-1 and the new 54-3 for a long time. with only 9 points I gambled on my ods for the new one tag in the random draw.
I guess I should have went with the new 54-3 tag and would have had a 50/50 chance with only 9 points!!!!😖

I wonder how many of the guys that put in for the 54-1 tag realize that it no longer includes the late November dates????

1715878217273.png

I drew it in special with one under this year. Looks like the special price scared people off (I figured unlikely because you’ve gotta hire an outfitter in there anyhow), or more likely so many of the max point guys thought they were a lock on it in the regular draw since it’s bounced around. Looks like I had a better chance in special with one less then max then max guys did in regular draw. I’m so many years into this a few hundred more for the tag was a bargain for me to get it over with.
Great choice and congrat's!
I am not too mad and actually a bit relieved, to a degree, in that I can help my dad with his unit 100 hunt. I also have an Arizona elk tag that I unexpectedly drew.
Good luck with the hunt and let us know how you do!

3 of us applied for a cow tag that over 70% last year and all failed to draw this year putting in individually. Applicants almost doubled.

Congrats to all you folks who drew, make memories!!! My son didn't draw but the fall will still be great...Colorado muzzy deer / Utah antelope and 10 days in Wyoming just checking out how things might have changed since my hunt there in 2018 . Hopefully my son draws next year.

I am wondering why there was a quota of zero tags for unit 31 type 1 (nonresident)? Anyone know anything about that?
There wasn't one in 2023 either. It could be a nonresident landowner applied for a tag in that area. They do that draw before the public draw.

2024 Wyoming point creep to all other state's point creep "hold my beer'.

But for regular general it seemed like less creep than feared with special price increase.

2023 reg general drew 100% at <5 and 2024 drew out at <5 or 5 across the three regions. So about half a point? I figured with 5 I’d be random due to creep, but no, we got two tags. Officially overdrawn now

There wasn't one in 2023 either. It could be a nonresident landowner applied for a tag in that area. They do that draw before the public draw.
I guess that is the only possible explanation, but the unit is probably 95% public land and there should have been two or three tags in the NR preference point pool. Turns out I drew a sheep tag a couple days ago so I really did not want to draw WY elk this year, but maybe I need to avoid this unit in the future.

Likely none offered or the landowners took them. There was one tag in the Special NR draw offered in 2024 so no random tags.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom