Nonresident Mt. Goat permits

highfastflyer

Very Active Member
Why are there 1/3 of the mountain goat permits being issued to non-residents in hunt area 3? Is this a rounding effect? If so, why do they round up in both the type 1 and type 2 hunts of area 3? In area 3 the 3-1 hunt has 18 residents and 6 non-resident licenses and in 3-2 there are 12 resident and 4 non-resident licenses issued. Seems way extreme and far far too generous to keep giving out 33 1/3% of all Mt. Goat licenses in this area to non-residents? This 90/10 needs to get implemented soon. Pretty damn good odds as a non-resident in that type 2 license, maybe I should apply for that instead.

EF9B7EC6-D776-40E1-9F8F-8134657CC51A.jpeg

That’s Wut everyone has been saying!! Need to cut down on nonres tags for sure!!! Hopefully game and fish gets that in there heads sooner than later!! Especially Mnt Goat, bighorn and Moose!!

At least most that area 3 is wildnerness. LOL!!!!

when they started area 3 back in 2011 it started with 4 total tags. 3 residents and 1 non resident.

State statute requires 25% of mountain goat tags be issued to NR. 18 residents and 6 NR equals 24 total tags. 25% of 24 total tags equals 6 NR tags. If NR were getting 1/3 of the 24 tags that would equate to 8 NR tags.

You’re right, I screwed up the math on that one. Still seems excessively high. I remember applying for a Non-Res sheep tag in Utah if I remember right and they don’t issue any tags for Non-Res. in a unit unless they issue at least 10 resident tags for the unit. Hardly any of the units had 10 tags so the bonus points were worthless. Even 25% is far, far too generous. This needs to be no more than 10% and in many units with low numbers you round down not up.

BuzzH,

Are you referring to 23-1-703(e)?

(e) The commission shall reserve eighty percent (80%) of
the moose and seventy-five percent (75%) of the ram and ewe and
lamb bighorn sheep, mountain goat and grizzly bear licenses to
be issued in any one (1) year for resident hunters. The
commission shall determine the allocation of resident and
nonresident mountain lion harvest.

Perhaps this is old and has been amended. Also, although it states that 75% go to resident, I guess it doesn’t actually spell out exactly where the other 25% should go.

This state is from the Regulations Booklet:

According to Wyoming statute, 75% of Wyoming bighorn sheep hunting licenses must be issued to residents and 25% to nonresidents.

There is no such statement in the booklet for mountain goat.

I’d appreciate if you would provide me with the facts on resident and nonresident mountain goat allocations. Thanks

There's no guess on what statute says...the commission has the option to increase the resident allocation.

That NR's are NOT guaranteed any tags by Statute...or regulation (other than 7250 full price elk tags).

Any Non-Res. Looking at fantastic draw odds might look at area 5 Mt. Goat hunt. It is a depredation hunt and mostly wilderness but based on last years odds you have a 50% chance of drawing. Two tags were offered and only 4 put in last year, just FYI. Not recommending this hunt as it would be super difficult and very low success potential but a tag in hand and possibly a chance at a great Mt. Goat. It also does not count against your Once in a Lifetime, you can draw another tag next year.

927E3606-F2A4-4F3F-896C-29B457703F8A.jpeg

What are you guys complaining about.
Washington state as way better goat hunting than Wyoming.
Residents and non-residents are in the same draw.
Non-residents can draw 100% of the tags. (no going to happen)
The cost of the tag is cheaper than Wyoming for non-residents.
Just because Utah screws non-residents out of $$$ and offers very low tag numbers. Doesn't mean Wyoming needs to screw over the non-resident.

No guess. Statute only says what's reserved for residents, not what the Commission can do with the rest.
Just had an idea, maybe it’s not feasible. Your ideas? What if we went to a 90/10 system on all species for the initial Draw in Wyoming. Then as a compromise for the leftover drawing nonresidents get first priority for any leftover licenses. Sure seems like the Game and Fish Department could generate a lot of extra money this way and residents would still have had the opportunity of putting down their top choices and 2nd and 3rd choice on the initial draw. It seems like a big money generator and will satisfy the resident demand for more premium tags. In 2015 statistics there were 17,672 resident leftover licenses sold and 18,243 Non-resident licenses sold in the leftover drawing. If we gave those 17,672 to the non-residents that alone could generate millions in revenue. Just an idea.

What are you guys complaining about.
Washington state as way better goat hunting than Wyoming.
Residents and non-residents are in the same draw.
Non-residents can draw 100% of the tags. (no going to happen)
The cost of the tag is cheaper than Wyoming for non-residents.
Just because Utah screws non-residents out of $$$ and offers very low tag numbers. Doesn't mean Wyoming needs to screw over the non-resident.
It’s not just Utah, it is Oregon, New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada, Montana etc.etc. etc.

People will only pay so much for a Mt goat so screwing the NR too hard on this one will only screw the dumb ones. just go to Canada or AK and kill a bigger one whenever you feel like it.

Just had an idea, maybe it’s not feasible. Your ideas? What if we went to a 90/10 system on all species for the initial Draw in Wyoming. Then as a compromise for the leftover drawing nonresidents get first priority for any leftover licenses. Sure seems like the Game and Fish Department could generate a lot of extra money this way and residents would still have had the opportunity of putting down their top choices and 2nd and 3rd choice on the initial draw. It seems like a big money generator and will satisfy the resident demand for more premium tags. In 2015 statistics there were 17,672 resident leftover licenses sold and 18,243 Non-resident licenses sold in the leftover drawing. If we gave those 17,672 to the non-residents that alone could generate millions in revenue. Just an idea.
How about we allot by % of money put into the system?

How 'bout resident landowners and public 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices draw first and what's left over go to the non residents?

oh wait ...
I agree, Those landowner licenses need to be looked at again. The criteria is far too vague and subjective and just because an elk steps foot one time doesn’t mean they are actually benefitting that much from a 160 acre piece of land. Some units the landowner licenses are significant. I think area 7 elk it’s like 20% going straight off the top to landowners. Maybe the acreage should be increased to a minimum of 3.000 acres or something realistic.

Look out......private land tags will be next to change...big ranches will make big ?'s
Have fun with that!!!
Many of those big ones already can and do with outfitter leases and trespass fees, no need to change that. What I’m asking about is a way to allow more of the premium tags like the vast majority of the western states do of issuing a 90/10 split. In exchange for lost revenue and loss of hunting opportunity the non-residents would get first crack or top priority in the leftover drawing. This would surely make up for the loss of revenue as 17,652 residents purchased leftover licenses. The result of the Game and Fish department issuing these at higher non-res. Prices would surely offset the revenue loss and give non-res. Hunters more hunting opportunity albeit with less desirable tags. You agree or disagree?

I think to appease the ever growing number of residents who support and are vocal about 90/10, G&F may look toward a resident preference on leftovers as a solution. Doubt that will work, but a compromise will eventually be on the horizon as discussion on 90/10 gains momentum.

I think to appease the ever growing number of residents who support and are vocal about 90/10, G&F may look toward a resident preference on leftovers as a solution. Doubt that will work, but a compromise will eventually be on the horizon as discussion on 90/10 gains momentum.
You are probably correct but seems that for sure would bring about more of a revenue shortfall whereas if we went 90/10 to appease the residents on the more premium licenses we could then do the opposite of what you suggest and give the NON-residents top priority on the leftover licenses. If those 17,000+ licenses which were purchased by residents were then mostly purchased by non residents then we could make up for any revenue shortfall with a mechanism such as that.

Evan though I am a dumb ass and have a lot points in Colorado, your state has lost most of its trophy potential. I sure in the hell wont be dipping into the state to pick up a leftover License. Wait until your Wolf population builds up you all will be changing a lot more than you like.

New Mexico, Arizona don't have mountain goats.
Nevada has so few they don't allow any non-resident goat hunting.
The subject is the 90/10 not just Mt Goats. How many sheep tags do N/R receive in New Mexico or Az? Wyoming giving away 25% of these premium tags to N/R has been far far too generous and Residents are now getting that Fixed.

I disagree. The original post only talked about mountain goats.
I copied and pasted it for you to review.
So it would appear to me that my posts about Washington being way more generous with goat tags over Wyoming is on topic.
If you wanted to talk about implementing 90/10 split that should have been in the original post.
There have been many threads about that already.

"Why are there 1/3 of the mountain goat permits being issued to non-residents in hunt area 3? Is this a rounding effect? If so, why do they round up in both the type 1 and type 2 hunts of area 3? In area 3 the 3-1 hunt has 18 residents and 6 non-resident licenses and in 3-2 there are 12 resident and 4 non-resident licenses issued. Seems way extreme and far far too generous to keep giving out 33 1/3% of all Mt. Goat licenses in this area to non-residents? This 90/10 needs to get implemented soon. Pretty damn good odds as a non-resident in that type 2 license, maybe I should apply for that instead."

I disagree. The original post only talked about mountain goats.
I copied and pasted it for you to review.
So it would appear to me that my posts about Washington being way more generous with goat tags over Wyoming is on topic.
If you wanted to talk about implementing 90/10 split that should have been in the original post.
There have been many threads about that already.

"Why are there 1/3 of the mountain goat permits being issued to non-residents in hunt area 3? Is this a rounding effect? If so, why do they round up in both the type 1 and type 2 hunts of area 3? In area 3 the 3-1 hunt has 18 residents and 6 non-resident licenses and in 3-2 there are 12 resident and 4 non-resident licenses issued. Seems way extreme and far far too generous to keep giving out 33 1/3% of all Mt. Goat licenses in this area to non-residents? This 90/10 needs to get implemented soon. Pretty damn good odds as a non-resident in that type 2 license, maybe I should apply for that instead."
I think you have very valid points as a Washington resident. This is the same facts we determined in Wyoming were far far too generous with Non Res. Permits. Especially when most states only give out a maximum of 10% and some of those states take half of those permits and award to the outfitters. Now all you need to do is move to the Washington forum and convince your fellow Wash. residents of your inequitable system.

Just saying. I think Washington, Colorado, and Wyoming are doing it right. Other states need to change. Hunters dividing our self's and infighting only helps anti hunters take our rights.

Just saying. I think Washington, Colorado, and Wyoming are doing it right. Other states need to change. Hunters dividing our self's and infighting only helps anti hunters take our rights.
Unfortunately in most states they aren’t changing the numbers upwards ie higher percentages. They are definitely shrinking the pool. Looks like a 90/10 is becoming the Western state standard.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom