North eastern Montana

Zackrichardson1

I’m looking to plan me and my dads first out of state hunt to north eastern Montana north of Malta has anyone hunted that area and how’s the hunting I’ve read a few things I’ve researched that said the mule deer population is really good but I would like some first hand knowledge of the area if anyone had been there or hunted that area more info the better thanks

I assume you are hunting mule deer. Might want to do some research on the health of the herds in that area. mtmuley

You will be in for a rude awakening and will fit right in with every other non resident that comes to Montana! You all can fight over what little bucks all the Washington clowns haven’t killed yet! It’s pretty sad to see what is happening to Montana! If I were you I’d find a different place to hunt unless you are wanting to shoot a couple thousand dollar dink

You will be in for a rude awakening and will fit right in with every other non resident that comes to Montana! You all can fight over what little bucks all the Washington clowns haven’t killed yet! It’s pretty sad to see what is happening to Montana! If I were you I’d find a different place to hunt unless you are wanting to shoot a couple thousand dollar dink
Probably best if they concentrate on a different state. Sad but true.

This past season the drought impacted mule deer numbers and there were more hunters than I have ever seen. I have lived in and hunted that area for most of my life. I have free access to many thousands of acres of private land as well up there and it was the first year in my 57 years on this planet that I paid for a lease to chase whitetail bucks because it would be far more productive.

It was a $h!t show on most public/block management land.

Nemont

Some of the comments above are spot on about NE Montana...

Malta had good deer hunting 10-15 years ago....

20 years ago, the area was even better!

However, now days, the age class is way down and there is a lot of hunting pressure.

If you want to just shoot a 1.5 - 2.5 yr old buck, you won’t have a problem!

If you want anything 3.5 yr old or older, the odds are really stacked against you in that area...

Does anyone know if the pipeline activity is still going on North of Saco?

The last time I was in that area was 2018 and they were building or replacing a pipeline...the place was overrun with trucks, pipeline workers

Does anyone know if the pipeline activity is still going on North of Saco?

The last time I was in that area was 2018 and they were building or replacing a pipeline...the place was overrun with trucks, pipeline workers
It not up and running anymore but it is overrun with out of staters like you wouldn’t believe the whole hi line is overrun with people anymore

Owning a ranch in eastern Montana and having grown up there 50 years ago I have a fair amount of personal history to draw on. A year ago I spoke with a biologist in the Region 7 offices in Miles City and told him the numbers I had observed in covering thousands of miles in eastern Montana all fall were way, way down.

I found it odd that his lack of credence in my ability to observe mule deer in eastern Montana was rather short-sighted but one thing for sure, if there's deer there I will see them.

Fast forward to what I was trying to explain to him without any success. Another sad day for mule deer in Montana.

The Montana deer population survey numbers for 2022 were published late last year and show that mule deer numbers are down, way down! There are a lot of factors to blame, starting with the largest culprit that has been proven by research in many Western states and that is drought. Research shows deer (does) that go into winter in poor shape, with minimal body fat in dry years, have much lower fawn health and birth rates in the spring of the next year. 2020-2022 were very dry years in the eastern half of the state and forage in the fall of 2021 was especially poor when I hunted there. Trophy quality also seemed to be hurt by the drought. In 2022 population counts showed 58,000 mule deer in Region 7 which is down from 114,000 in 2020; that’s a 52% decrease!

Disease is also another factor and sure doesn’t help the situation; EHD, Blue Tongue, and CWD. All of these diseases have affected the eastern half of the state the last few years. CWD has been the one in the spotlight recently but there’s no proof that CWD has wiped out entire herds of deer in the West unless you consider how it has impacted state’s like Montana’s deer management policies.

Overhunting could also be a factor. Montana gained a lot of residents the last two years and if you don’t know, Montana is an opportunity state and is not managed for trophies. It’s managed for opportunity, hence the many general tag areas. Basically Montana is a, “If it’s brown, it’s down” kind of state and all of Regions 6 and 7 are either-sex, either species except for one district on the general tag. In addition there are thousands of antlerless tags available for each species in these regions as well.

I say Montana needs more hunters. They need more "come home to hunt" hunters, more youth seasons, more late season muzzleloader seasons, more military hunters, and more resident hunters and while they are at it, why not extend the cow elk season into April from February 15 so hunters can eat veal from a fetus? I say all of that sarcastically but you know the resource is suffering and low fur prices aren't doing much to cut back the never-ending problem of coyotes on fawns.

I say shut the mule deer season down on November 12th.

Every year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom