North Slope Deer

stillwaitin

Hey Guys, we drew North Slope general deer tags this year. We have spent lots of time over the years up there camping and hunting. We will also be up there on the general elk hunt next weekend. It seems though the past few years that the deer have become harder to find. So just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on where to go or if they have been seeing the same trend up there. Maybe we will see some bucks while we are looking for elk. So any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have hunted the North Slope/Posion Mtn area since 1987. The Mule Deer numbers in this area today compared to 1987 are down I would say 85%. Yes, I am being serious. For many years me and my friends would apply for the "High country Buck permit" hunt deer the same time as Elk. From 1987-Mid 1990's this was a fun hunt with alot of success. Every year we would see big bucks in this area. For the last 6-8 years, we see a few does and maybe 1 buck, out of 4-6 hunters in camp. If I was the DWR, I would not even issue Deer tags for this area. I do not know what has happened there, but the deer numbers have gone down badly. Hunt deer in another area for sure, good luck to you !!!

Deerslayer, you are very possibily correct for the most part about the Wolf issue. I meet a Elk Hunter 3 years ago that had set up trail cams all over Posion Mtn. He has pics of 11 Wolves attacking a beef cow. I am sure Wolves are keeping Deer # and Moose # down. But, honestly, there were problems before the Wolves showed up. I am just not sure what the issue is there, today and in the past. And speaking with a Utah Biologist in the past that were over this area shed no light on the problem. They actually seemed shocked about the deer numbers from the late 80's, compard to today's numbers. Like they did not know this. ?????

Well at least I am not the only one seeing this trend I guess. We'll see what happens. If anyone has a honey hole for general elk let me know I would be happy to check it out for you. :) Thanks guys.

8mm mag, I know the wolfs are not the only problem but they sure don't help much. I am sure the number of tags has a huge impact. I went out hunting today, on the Wasatch West Unit hiked my tail off in areas that used to hold tons of deer (same area they seen the wolf dogs) guess what 5 deer all day. The wolf issue needs to be taken care of.

>8mm mag, I know the wolfs
>are not the only problem
>but they sure don't help
>much. I am sure the
>number of tags has a
>huge impact. I went out
>hunting today, on the Wasatch
>West Unit hiked my tail
>off in areas that used
>to hold tons of deer
>(same area they seen the
>wolf dogs) guess what 5
>deer all day. The wolf
>issue needs to be taken
>care of.

I agree,.....but like most important issues. Action will be taken far to late. Good luck to you....

stress on the animals from too many sources adds up to low birthing.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

It would be really nice if the DWR powers that be, were involved and concerned with the Unita North Slope Deer numbers as much as the Henrys or Paunsaguant. Yes, I know, their is no one paying 100K for a Deer tag on the Noth Slope so no real attention is given to where most of the General Season State hunters go with their $35.00 General Season Deer tag. Just another fine example of "Money can buy you Love, or at least a 30" Buck or a 6x6 Bull".

>Well at least I am not
>the only one seeing this
>trend I guess. We'll see
>what happens. If anyone has
>a honey hole for general
>elk let me know I
>would be happy to check
>it out for you. :)
>Thanks guys.

You should head over to Xmas meadows. That place was loaded with elk. Pull you trailer in set up a chair and wait, them things will run right through camp. SERIOUSLY, STAY IN CAMP!:)
"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-13 AT 11:15AM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p]Probably the most insightful sentence in this thread:
'And speaking with a Utah Biologist in the past that were over this area shed no light on the problem. They actually seemed shocked about the deer numbers from the late 80's, compard to today's numbers. Like they did not know this. ?????
'.....

please understand, that you are talking about PAID GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES WHO MANAGE A PUBLIC RESOURCE. THESE ARE YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!!!! THERE IS NO ACCOUNTABILTY, REPEAT NOT ONE OUNCE OF ACCOUNTABILITY AT THE BIOLOGICAL LEVEL, THESE GUYS HAVE NO ONE CHECKING ON THEM TO MAKE SURE THE NUMBERS AND RECOMMENDATIONS THEY SUBMIT ARE ACCURATE OR TO EVEN BE SURE THEY ARE OUT DOING THEIR JOB!!!

And guys wonder why they get a blank stair from guys like John Fairchild, Anis, Karpowitz, etc etc.... when they walk up and tell them that something isn't right. They don't have a clue, These guys are just going by what the local biologists say and the local biologists are sucking the state dry.

Now after that rant I will further say that money has a large impact on the way that management occurs. However, the availability or absence of money on the general units is not an excuse for the garbage that the average hunter in Utah has to put up with.

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

I think I used to be stupid when I believed that predators (especially cougars and coyotes) were not the main reason for such a drastic deer decline.

Anyone with a study that indicates contrary to my belief? If we were to kill ALL the predators in a unit that specifically prey on deer, would the deer populations remain unchanged and remainat an all time low?

Been hunting the north slope for archery elk for long time. Seen quite a few this year. Never see too many deer. Usually, this has been attributed to the Wyoming winter antlerless hunts where north slope deer range in the winter. Those hunts stopped a few years ago, and the deer population is still not recovering.

Two years ago during the archery elk hunt I ran into a couple of fishermen, both carrying side arms. Never occurred to me that I needed a side arm above 10,000 feet in the Uintas. They told me an unsettling story about a wolf pack up there that harassed some people. I didn't really buy it, but they believed it.

Anyway, this year I saw a wolf during the archery hunt. Mind you, not a wolf pack. But it really got my attention. Always see some coyote. But now there are definitely wolf...and if those fishermen are to be believed, wolf packs. I don't expect the deer population to recover anytime soon, AND the elk population may be taking a beating soon, as well, if nothing is done about the soon to be Uinta wolf problem. For me, that will really put a damper on my hunting experience.

Yeah, well the wolfs have been around for years. Our game animals are taking a hit because we can't control the wolfs, and our fish and lame do surveys once a decade and call it good. So we are over hunting on both ends of the spectrum. Also I think its funny that the fish and lame officers will swear their is no wolfs in Utah, or grizzly bears. However they have been spotted within miles of the state line. I guess they see that state line and say oh hell with that Ill stay in Idaho, or Wyoming right?

A few years ago I was taking a group of boy scout into the Uintas for a week long camp trip in the Moon Lake area. We called the fish and game to see if there had been any bear issues to be aware of and where. We were told "its not the bears we are worried about, its the wolves. Please make sure you have protection." This was bout 5 years ago. We never came across any, but we did see some big tracks. They have been here for a while. No imaginary state line has held them back!!! Kind of like the yellowstone boundary!

I know they have been here. I have seen them on my trail cameras on the manta lasal (fairview area). My philosophy is if there down that far there every where north. I just wish these tree huggers would let us shoot the damn things oh wait there not here yet so there just big coyotes.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom