North slope needle in a haystack

N

nontypical250

I was lucky enough to harvest a mature moose on the North Slope on the first part of the hunt. Problem is, he busted off his Right Paddle about 6 inches from the base. I know this is a long shot, but it is a general area with the deer and elk hunts, I shot him in the Middle Fork of the Blacks Fork River area, in the huge meadow on the west side of the trail 3/4 quarters of a mile from the trailhead. If by any miracle of chance someone finds a fresh moose paddle broken off would you get in contact with me to see if it matches up. Never hurts to try right?? Thanks

Good luck! Let's see a picture of your bull!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

did you see that little unmarked lake over the ridge from that meadow? used to be lots of rubs in there..not sure if I mentioned that spot to you or not?

Reddog,
No I didn't see that spot or make it to it. I just walked up that meadow on the main trail four miles turned around and walked out right before dark.

Congrats 250. Best of luck finding the paddle. Moose is one tag not many of us will get in a life time. Way to get the job done.

What's the story on this? I'm curious, why did you shoot a moose with a broken horn? Did you not realize it?

I wish you luck find the broken paddle.

Several years back my son a friend and I were hunting elk and I found a freshly busted off 5th and 6th point elk horn. It was might big and as we were sneaking in towards the elk we could hear them fighting. That happened to be about 2 o clock in the afternoon. And just before dark that evening, some mile or two away from where I found the antler (which by the way I picked up and packed out) we saw the bull come by us, but he was too far to shoot. But you could see the break and tell it was definitely the same bull. It would have been neat to have been able to arrow that bull. It would have make for quite the story.

But that didn't happen, but I hope you can find the broken part of your moose antler.

On a side note, some years back, I was sitting a treestand and several of us who sat that area had seen a nice bull moose there several times (we had no moose permit) and then one night a buddy sat and told me he had come back in but one side was busted off before the brow tines. A few evenings after that I sat the stand and had him come in and he came over to the base of the tree where I was sitting and began to rake his antler on a piece of bush at the base of the tree. I could look straight down the tree and watch him. I noticed he raked the side that he still had, but then would turn his head and rake the side he didn't have, as if he didn't even realize it was gone.

Anyway good luck to finding the final piece to your puzzle!

Have a good one. BB

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom