Northeast Washington Help for whitetail

H

huntnut111

I'd like to hunt the late hunt for whitetail but I'm not sure exactly where to start. I've heard of success in the Kettle Falls area and the Chewelah area and the Colville area as well however these areas are very large and I'm not sure where to begin as I mentioned before. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to steer me in a direction more specific than a town. Once I have an idea of a specific area to go I can put in the footwork but a head start would be appreciated. Thanks

Try the little pend oreille wildlife area. Other than that try any area where you can get in the hills just above the agricultural land. The deer will be in there.

huntnut...i sent you apm with a little info to go with ridgerunners suggestion

Thanks a bunch you guys. Ridgerunner, I hope the twins are doing good. Our boys are going on three years old. My wife and I bought a restaurant a couple years ago and moved to an area I'm just getting used to hunting so I appreciate the help.

Long time reader, first time poster. I just want to say thank you to everyone for all of their advice and suggestions here on MM. I was pretty much a pheasant hunter and in to fishing until 2 years ago when a patient offered to take me big game hunting and I love it. Still haven't killed my first big game but love the hunt either way.

I am going to try the late hunt in NE WA this year and like huntnut would love some general direction. Thinking Huckleberry Mountains area but would be willing to go most anywhere. Not looking for any one's honey spot, just some good areas I can get off of the road and in to the brush. I'm from the Tri-cities by the way. Thanks in advance for any help.

Colin

Colin, I sent a PM to Huntnut this week, but the gist is this. You don't need the nastiest/steepest anything. You don't need to be at 5000 foot ridges. You need is some forestry (cutting) in areas above some bottom ground. If that ground has alfalfa fine, if not it doesn't matter. Whitetails love creek bottoms and travle easy routes where possible, IE benches, sadles etc. I hunt an area where there are old cuts where roads have been closed off. Some so old you can't hardly see the roads anymore. Work these back to areas between old cuts with a bench or low elevation ridgline within a mile or two of valley bottom and you have as likely a place as any. There's tons of state from Chewela to the canadian border. Huckleberry gets hammered though. They should be in pre rut now so hunt buck sign. If you find a scrape or series of rubs that are near thick area to bed or cut edges, take a seat and wait. It's an ambush game find the best fresh sign, take a seat. I tend to repeat this one, but the best 10 or 20 yards of clearing on great sign is worth most all the clear cuts on the mountain. Leaving in the morn!

If you need help picking some areas, there's a F&G office and an NF office right in downtown colville. Good resources. Have fun! We can compare notes when you get back.

Don't have any hunting advice for the area, but Colville's advice is pretty darn good.

Just an area travel warning: When driving through Chewelah watch out for the dik head with a badge that likes to hide near the only traffic light in town and use his remote to change lights hoping to ticket "red light runners"... I was coming through on the Sunday morning that the general season ended about 4 weeks ago, a buddy and I were coming up to the light that had just turned red. A car that was a little ways in front of us stopped at the light, no cars crossed and the light turned green again almost instantly before we could even come to a complete stop. I started to accelerate again and the stopped car started to go and the light went yellow and red before we could even get to the intersection. I told my buddy "That's weird that light wasn't even green for 2 seconds and there's no other cars around. I stopped and sat there BS'n with my buddy and happened to look katty corner across the street and here's a cop tucked back half hidden with his window down looking right at me... So the light turns green again, I take off looking at the cop, him staring us down. I look in my rearview mirror and the lights arleady red forcing another car behind us to stand on their breaks to stop... 3 red lights in less than 60 seconds with no cross traffic...hmmmm, pretty obviouse what was going on... apparently Chewelahs a little short on cash flow... Sorry for the rant, but figured I'd send out the travel alert...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom