Northeastern CA Elk 2022

cabrian

Hi All,
My family was lucky to draw a NE CA Bull tag and have been searching the country(6 days-600 miles) looking for elk or their sign. We have been elk hunting before but never killed a bull elk yet. We have seen one herd on private on the Oregon border. We are struggling to find anything(old/new/scat sign at water holes) in the lower Devils Garden but have heard a lot of elk are taken there. If anyone is willing to help us out with locating these illusive creatures we would appreciate it.
Thanks

Try using the search function on here. Using keywords such as this thread title or devils garden elk etc.

You should find some info given in the past.

Folks have become hesitant to offer help here because many people show ask for help then never return unless they are lucky enough to draw another tough to draw tag. It makes people feel used. Most of the people who have been here long will help others in return for help or even without any reward if they know the person they are helping has helped someone else in the past. It's a bit of a community.

All you have to do to see what I'm talking about is look in the search for any hard to draw tag and notice how most of the people who are enquiring are new at the time and nowhere to be found after the help.

As for help I'm not saying no but...

In addition, those getting good info may not respect how hard that information was to come by in the first place and spread it around and ruin the location. It is no surprise that once good areas get overrun with hunters, even though the hunt is limited.

Have you called the biologist who manages the unit? Have you look at the info on the website? I have and I have been tracking the harvest locations in the NE unit for several years hoping I got drawn. If you do your home work you won’t have to ask the question- where to start.

Btw I got drawn for the NE archery tag and if I tag out I may share some info then.

For a forum of sharing most reply's above are about not sharing and I respect that. I did receive a private reply and am very grateful and thankful for the information shared. I am relatively new to the forums and plan to follow them and give help where I can. I too would not expect someone to share say a "C" zone hunting spot or area, but NE Elk is a once in a lifetime and no one really know how many years it might take to draw a tag or if animals seen will be alive when/if they get drawn.

I have contacted the biologists, gathered vegetation growth data, acquired herd migration and spot kill information, contacted a couple private property owners, and talk to sheep herder. I am trying to make the experience of taking an Elk all encompassing for my family.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Talk more with the herder....very good info...but...show him a pic of a BIG bull.....he might not get what you are actually after

Update. Another weekend in NE Elk country and spotted a herd of 20 cow elk with 1 raghorn bull in full velvet and multiple bucks also in velvet. Half our time was spent in the Devils Garden without seeing an animal. I am wondering if the elk just show up there in September.

Update. Another weekend in NE Elk country and spotted a herd of 20 cow elk with 1 raghorn bull in full velvet and multiple bucks also in velvet. Half our time was spent in the Devils Garden without seeing an animal. I am wondering if the elk just show up there in September.
Unfortunately, Colins Timber has closed all of their property...and that pretty much makes up most of the north eastern part of the Garden. A large number of elk make this part of the zone their home and, with the area being gated posted and patrolled, they only have the poachers to worry about. If enough snow accumulates, they do migrate a bit and you can find sheds like these. Notice I did say "large number" but I did not says all of them....LOL! There are some GIANT bulls in the Garden...and some GIANT bulls elsewhere in the zone. GOOD LUCK!
IMG_4911.JPG

I had the rifle tag in 2013. Season dates were perfect, but during season I never heard a bugle. I got there a week early and heard bugles during that time, but when the rifle season started they didn't make a sound. In 2013 the archery season was by far the best hunt. I ran a lot of trail cams from June to September all over the Garden and the northern part of the Warners. In the end I based my hunting area off what my cameras were showing. My cameras in the Badger Wells area of the Garden seemed to have way more elk...so that's where I hunted. I hunted the entire season and never saw a good bull and ate my tag!

2013-09-18 07.01.25.jpg

2014-06-24 15.48.57.jpg

2014-06-25 11.37.42.jpg

2014-06-25 11.40.10.jpg

2014-06-25 13.52.19.jpg

EK000930.JPG

I should have added to my post above...

If I could go back in time I would not have applied for the NE elk hunt. I regret that choice and would love to have my points back!!

Update on my hunt. I came home after hunting 10 of 11 days. It was a difficult hunt with the hot weather. Another challenge was finding elk that were not talking. I heard of a hunter getting a really nice bull sitting a blind and I’m sure there are other successful bow hunters this season.

Overall I had a decent hunt and close encounters with smaller bulls.

The last day of the season I busted a herd Saturday morning and my situational awareness didn’t kick in soon enough to play the herd bull.

A while later in a different location I called in a small 6x6 to 33 yards drew back but didn’t have a clear shot through the trunk twigs on the tree he was behind. End if story.

I should have added to my post above...

If I could go back in time I would not have applied for the NE elk hunt. I regret that choice and would love to have my points back!!
Hindsight, what would you of done with your elk points. Tule, Rosie?

Tuff hunt. Tons of country, with a few giants. Your hunt sounded about like mine.Scouted 15 plus days, Hunted all 12 days of the season. 3,000 miles of dirt rd on my trk. Glad I used my points on it.Just wish I could do it again.

It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity (except for a lucky few or a deep pocket to buy PLM tags). It would be nice if the CDFW would reflect that in the season dates for archery hunters.

I have helped on both hunts. Neither of the elk hunts in Northeastern Cali hunts are worthy of max points or the once in a lifetime designation IMHO. If you have the resources for a guide, or to hire someone to scout for you, are a local and can spend 15-20 days scouting yourself, or have access to AG land, then it might be worth it, but other than that they are not. The number of points they demand and being once in a lifetime is not likely to ever change, but I think a lot of people waste their points on these hunts.

If you want a hunt where you are going to see a number of elk and numerous bulls, these hunts are not for you. If you want a ball buster of a hunt, in oppressive heat, with cow hunters running around chasing the same animals, then by all means blow your 20 years worth of points and enjoy the ride.

The northwestern coastal hunts used to be worthy of max points and we're a genuine once in a lifetime experience, but unfortunately that has all changed.

Take it for what it's worth but both people I helped were disappointed and wished they had used their points elsewhere.

The rifle hunt is definitely worth max points. Legit giants live and die in the unit and are seldom seen.My hunt was a bow hunt,12 days long, not enough time. And yes the dates are a bit early for full blown rut fests.I did call in small bulls.Had I a rifle instead of a bow a 370 plus bull would of taken a dirt nap. Points at any level should never guarantee a kill.I know of a lot of guys(locals mostly) that love the opportunity the North Eastern tag gives.

Even with a guide it’s a tough hunt and you need a good guide not a schomski that can’t put it together pre rut and in hot weather.

The odds for the rifle NE hunt are too high. Not everyone will get a tag.

Another problem we see with newcomers is after they are given some information they do not have the common courtesy to reply back and say thanks for the infro. They just run off into the wild blue younder.
RELH
STFU

UPDATE
So 7 days after the opener and I am home with my elk tag filled. I got caught off guard after running around for days not seeing a live animal and all of a sudden there is a bull elk way up the mountain. I probably should have taken more time counting points but in the heat of the moment and the bull running straight away I pulled the trigger and down it went. It's not the bull of a lifetime but I am happy to have filled my tag. Thank you to all who chimed in on this post.
Brian

UPDATE
So 7 days after the opener and I am home with my elk tag filled. I got caught off guard after running around for days not seeing a live animal and all of a sudden there is a bull elk way up the mountain. I probably should have taken more time counting points but in the heat of the moment and the bull running straight away I pulled the trigger and down it went. It's not the bull of a lifetime but I am happy to have filled my tag. Thank you to all who chimed in on this post.
Brian
Pics or it didn't happen.

There is not much to say. The darn hunt was over before it really began. I should not had rushed the day 1 long running shot knowing it took me 30 years to draw and having nice 5x5 and 6x6 bulls on the cameras. Needless to say my guide/nephew was bummed when he saw it. I did have a great time while it lasted but should have waited a little longer before pulling the trigger. Another bright side is the elk steak, pepper sticks and smoked sausages are on the way, so no tag soup for me.

elk.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom