Northeastern Rocky Mtn Elk Rut Peak?

Bwht4x4

Very Active Member
From those of you that have hunted or been on a hunt in the Northeastern unit for rocky mtn elk, when you do think the peak of their rut occurs. Every area in the west is a little different and I'm curious as to what folks think the peak dates are for this area.

Not sure when the peak is, but I hunted sept 12-17, (if I remember right) last year and the bulls weren't bugling very much. Only heard bulls a couple days and we were around em the whole time. They were startin to push cows a bit, but the ones we saw weren't runnin off the satelite bulls yet. If I had to do it again, I would spend all my days in the later end of the season.

>Not sure when the peak is,
>but I hunted sept 12-17,
>(if I remember right) last
>year and the bulls weren't
>bugling very much. Only heard
>bulls a couple days and
>we were around em the
>whole time. They were startin
>to push cows a bit,
>but the ones we saw
>weren't runnin off the satelite
>bulls yet. If I
>had to do it again,
>I would spend all my
>days in the later end
>of the season.

Good info. Thanks

This year's hunt dates are later than last year's dates so all we need now are a few nights under 40 degree, and preferably under 35 degrees in mid-Sept, to get some them going. A couple of guys I spoke with said that due to the very warm temps last year during both the archery and rifle hunts the rut didn't peak until the first week of October.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-13 AT 09:15PM (MST)[p]I think the entire hunt is too early for "peak rut." I'd hunt the entire season of this once in a lifetime if i drew and expect the most actice rutting to occur during the dark of the moon.

Unfortunately there's a full moon on the day after this hunt starts and even on the last day of the hunt there's a half moon. So, no dark of the moon this year. Without that maybe we can get some weather instead.

From the handful of guys I've spoke with it sounds like Sept 18 through the end of Sept is the peak. However, last year was so warm it was the first week of Oct. I've got the entire season so hopefully something gets started.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom