Nossler accubonds?

In my 7Mag they were devestating on deer, but never shot an elk with it. In my 375 H&H, I shot 3 elk and about 40 African animals in two trips. Awesome performance with the 260 grain. 60-80% retention, at all distances to 360 yards

The only issue I had was on a sheep at 100yds when a bullet failed to expand. It punched a pencil hole right through the ram. I'd post the video, but can't figure out how to make it work. I think it was just moving too fast and on a relatively small animal it went right through.

I’ve killed a handful of deer, a few bears, a couple caribou, and a few elk with ABLR’s and they’ve all performed perfectly. Shots have been anywhere from 40 yards to 420 yards. My hunters have killed 2 desert sheep and a half dozen deer with my rifle this year with the same results.

The only issue I had was on a sheep at 100yds when a bullet failed to expand. It punched a pencil hole right through the ram. I'd post the video, but can't figure out how to make it work. I think it was just moving too fast and on a relatively small animal it went right through.

I had this issue with a cow elk.

Thanks for the replies. I picked up a couple box’s because it’s the only thing in 180 gr I’ve been able to find. The box’s say nothing about long range.

I killed a bull in NM several years ago with my 7mm REM Mag loaded with 160 gr Accubonds. Shot was about 425 yards. Never did find bullet from first shot, I was sure I hit it. Second shot, bullet went in behind front leg, did not exit. Bull ran about 100 yards before piling up. Was not as impressed with Accubonds performance as my old partitions. Went back to partitions on elk. Accubonds did ok on deer. Just my 2 cents.

Great bullets, used them in several calibers. Quickest elk kill I have seen was a bull my step daughter shot from my great uncles, wait for it... Model 99 lever gun in 300 savage. 165 grain accubond at a hot 2550 FPS. 75 yards straight on in the high chest. Bullet went into the spine for several inches, penetration was about 20/24 inches total.

165 grain AccuBonds recovered from a bull elk at 300yds. I really like them for elk.
Phone 6.17.21 247.JPG

Stuck in opposite side hide

Phone 6.17.21 257.JPG

Any opinion on elk?
Never used them.
Funny you should ask. Pulled these two from the magazine after a shot this year.
1.jpg

180 gr AB's in 300 RUM. Been using them for almost a couple decades. Killed lots of animals from javelina to YK moose and everything in between. From 40 yds to 400 yds. Never had an issue with their killing performance. This is the first issue I have had with them. Google search shows I am not alone.

All the comments on here, make me curious to who are bench shooters and who are hunters. Sure, bench shooters hunt as well but every bench shooter I'm buddies with, will rant and rave about bullets that are good for paper and use them hunting. They even get lucky once in a while and pound an animal, bringing it down hard. Working in a gun store for 15 years I can tell you, everyone has strong opinions on bullets.

Nosler std Accubond bullets are great for weight retention, mass to weight ratio, sectional density, and decent accuracy. They fall short with BC and are a little tedious for reloading. It takes some work to get them to fly great but if you succeed, they're pretty great. Accubond LR bullets aren't very liked. They're temperamental with reloading, and expensive considering other long-range options. The big deal with all accubond bullets is the bonded core. They hold together well.

My choice for a good all-around elk bullet is the Hornady ELD-X.

165 grain AccuBonds recovered from a bull elk at 300yds. I really like them for elk. View attachment 90510
Stuck in opposite side hide

View attachment 90508
View attachment 90509
I have several Accubonds that I’ve recovered that look just like that…. Interestingly, I shot a Mule Deer a couple of weeks ago, With a 180, out of a 300 Weatherby Mag., that pancaked like I’ve seen ELDX bullets do…. Dunno, manufacturing differences I guess. I’d still fling them at anything with 4 legs in the lower 48

Thx, great info. I was thinking of working up a load for my 6.5 PRC for the Nosler 150. Won’t waste my time, as I have several boxes of factory 143 eld-x. They’re shooting sub-.5 during break in.

All the comments on here, make me curious to who are bench shooters and who are hunters. Sure, bench shooters hunt as well but every bench shooter I'm buddies with, will rant and rave about bullets that are good for paper and use them hunting. They even get lucky once in a while and pound an animal, bringing it down hard. Working in a gun store for 15 years I can tell you, everyone has strong opinions on bullets.

Nosler std Accubond bullets are great for weight retention, mass to weight ratio, sectional density, and decent accuracy. They fall short with BC and are a little tedious for reloading. It takes some work to get them to fly great but if you succeed, they're pretty great. Accubond LR bullets aren't very liked. They're temperamental with reloading, and expensive considering other long-range options. The big deal with all accubond bullets is the bonded core. They hold together well.

My choice for a good all-around elk bullet is the Hornady ELD-X.
My choice for many years never varies:
Nosler Partitions in 7 MM REM Mag. Never a problem- they deliver the kill & never fail to
perform . Fine accuracy too. It’s a bolt of lightning. ??
Jerry Gold- Windsor, Colorado ??

I found the lr accubond like jump. If they don't shoot 30 off the lands, don't be afraid to go to 60. A cold primer helps a ton also.
Standard accubonds have always worked well for us on all western animals.

270 and 30/06 the AB worked great but on my 7 mag they pencilled in and out. Shot was 225 yards. Hate to admit it but it took several hits on a cow to get her to take a knee. I think the bullet was going to fast at close range. On a bull it might be different and all longer ranges. Those ABs grouped great too which sucks!

Been using accubonds in various calibers on several types of game and various ranges from 80 to 650 yards. Still have yet to report a failure. All been good with zero issues.

Are the regular accubonds beginning to show up for purchase now? It's been a few years since they have been available.

Accubond LR and partitions are available but are the traditional AB's hitting the shelves now?

I bought several boxes of Nosler Partitions and Nosler Accubonds. Neither of them grouped well and therefore, I switched to Federal Fusions. Oddly, these shot the best...
I was shooting 180 grain .300 Win.
With all the $$ I spent on them, I am going to try them again at the range.

I bought several boxes of Nosler Partitions and Nosler Accubonds. Neither of them grouped well and therefore, I switched to Federal Fusions. Oddly, these shot the best...
I was shooting 180 grain .300 Win.
With all the $$ I spent on them, I am going to try them again at the range.
I've never saw a partition that wouldn't shoot a decent group, with reloads. What powder and primer did you try?

I've killed many animals with a 160 accubond out of a 7mag, and a few with 190grain long range accubonds out of a 300WM. Never had a problem with them.
This is a group from a 300 with the long range 190s.
target.jpg

ive never ad any luck with the ELDX's. like i said, gotten away form polymer tips all together. just not as tight tolerances with that plastic tip

These are 200 gr. Accubonds. Not sure why this happened but no problems with performance. "Keep your powder dry - keep your Accubonds dry" ?

IMG_2303tr.JPG

Been using polymer tipped bullets for 20 plus years and I’ve never seen this
Guess I better use these Noslers up

Are the regular accubonds beginning to show up for purchase now? It's been a few years since they have been available.

Accubond LR and partitions are available but are the traditional AB's hitting the shelves now?
I have been on back ordered for some at a couple shops with no luck!

Simple. Just don't do whatever is was that caused the tips to do whatever they did.
Go pull out your polymer tipped bullets. Look at the tip, tell me how consistent they all are. Then load um a few times and see how they look after coming out of the rifle mag. Even more mushed or inconsistent tips. Then ask yourself, how important is the very tip of your bullet when it comes to its ballistics, how it holds a consistent spin, maintains a consistent path against atmospheric friction? Are they going to do what they did in that picture in middle of a hunt?

A little plastic tip just isn’t as good as a full jacketed vld. Probably good enough for the average hunter but on the bench when you’re really trying to achieve some extreme accuracy the difference shows up. Personally I don’t want those differences transferring to the field

Go pull out your polymer tipped bullets. Look at the tip, tell me how consistent they all are. Then load um a few times and see how they look after coming out of the rifle mag. Even more mushed or inconsistent tips. Then ask yourself, how important is the very tip of your bullet when it comes to its ballistics, how it holds a consistent spin, maintains a consistent path against atmospheric friction? Are they going to do what they did in that picture in middle of a hunt?

A little plastic tip just isn’t as good as a full jacketed vld. Probably good enough for the average hunter but on the bench when you’re really trying to achieve some extreme accuracy the difference shows up. Personally I don’t want those differences transferring to the field
My RUM mashes the tip of any bullet in the magazine upon recoil tip or no tip. It isn't that big if a deal. Over 20 years of shooting Accubonds proves it. And we know you aren't the average hunter. mtmuley

Atmospheric friction?

Used to shoot them exclusively in my 25-06 and 270. Killed a fair number of elk with both the 110 and 140 grainers. Anymore I don’t touch much of anything nosler. I truthfully don’t think it’s the same company and product it used to be. Majority of my rifles are running on Berger’s, Hornady and Barnes now

Drag. Air is a fluid flowing over the bullets surface. The conical shape gives it aerodynamic properties. The Reynolds number means more.

Newtons laws of motion is what slows the bullet down.
lol, and what do you think that fluid flowing over the bullet is? Friction maybe? And could the air be atmosphere?!

Too funny, argue just to argue then say the same thing

Any opinion on elk?
Never used them.
I know they were the most devastating bullet I’ve ever used in my 7mm mag. Shot several mule deer and elk- would just drop like they were hit by lightning. Used to be my go to bullet but got to where I couldn’t find them anywhere. Since have switched to Berger and Hornady in two different 7mm’s. But I wouldn’t hesitate using the accubond, devastating kill shots for me. No tracking necessary from experience.

if any one doesn't think that blunt tip now on the end of the bullet doesn't affect its ballistics coefficient you're crazy. kinda defeats the purpose of having a tipped bullet in the first place

I only shoot full copper now and have migrated everything over to Hammer bullets. Still have a few brand new boxes of Barnes in .284, but I'll keep them just in case.

What the Hell did you do to those? mtmuley
Not a damn thing. Reloaded, placed in ammo container and have been in the same spot since. Went to pull a few rounds out to go shoot and noticed they had disintegrated. Been shooting and reloading this same bullet for over ten years. First problem I've had with them. I'll still reload/shoot them but a quick google search shows I'm not the only one seeing this issue. weird...

And i never said they won’t kill. I’ve killed some stuff with them too, been a while ago now. I said, plastic ballistic tips suck. In so many words anyway

Helped break down a bull last week that took a LRAB to the shoulder, bullet made it less that 4".

It was a very fast cartridge and lightish bullet at close range but I expect better. Standard Accubonds are GTG in my experience.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom