Not looking for any help. anyone else draw 8 archery bull?

That's a hunt I keep wondering about. Good luck and keep us updated. I put in early rifle 8 with no chance in hell.?

It's a big unit and elk are spread from east to west. Stay high and there will be lots more action. There are big mature bulls in the lower country during the rut but they are few and far between. I wasted one season trying to locate them low. When I did get an opportunity is was a medium sized bull anyway. So I stay higher (above the 6,500 foot level). To me the biggest wildcard is what size bulls will you find? I've learned to make every opportunity count in unit 8.

Last edited:
Hunted it a number of times on the archery hunt. Personally I think there are too many tags in the unit give the size and the last hut I had (2015 or 2016) I really didn't find but one mature bull (prob 320 - 330 range).

The other issue with the unit is there are people everywhere. They used to go home after the holiday weekend and now they just stay there. So you have a lot of tags and a lot of people around.

Used to be one of my favorite units, but I won't be putting in there anytime soon.

The potential is there, and I hope ypu smack a toad!

Drew as my second choice. As said above very crowded unit For sure. There are roads everywhere! You can get away from crowds if you know the unit.

Yes, can be crowded, but elk are used to people and move all thru the day. I've seen good bulls from 1000-1200

Last edited:
I hunted the late archery a few years ago over water. All I'll say is do your homework. Still good bulls there.

Heading up this weekend to set up camp. Hunting opening weekend than back to work for the week. Going back the 2nd weekend until the season closes. Was up there for the Archery deer opener & it was crowded with everyone running around on side by sides. this unit is getting over crowded for sure!!

If you see an bear or sign could you share? My youth daughter hasn’t been able to draw anything in multiple states. I’m thinking of buying her an OTC bear tag and at least go try. PM if needed. Thanks

Season has come and gone. Quick rundown.
Still plenty of bulls in unit 8. Hunting pressure was more than i had experienced before(on this hunt). The bulls were definatly not very aggressive. Usually, posturing/sparing/fighting is a regular occurance. Never witnessed this during the hunt. Bulls were vocal early, and i mean early, like before 1st light till around 7:30. Hunted the PJ's and the pines. Animals were more active up high. I didnt end up getting a shot. I wanted a 6x6 and wouldnt settle. had 3 opportunities at 6 pt bulls. (inside 60 yards) and passed on 3 smaller bulls. BTW Didnt see any really big bulls. biggest in the 320-330". I did hear of a 400 Class bull being taken. Maybe hearsay but there are some hawgs out there. Good luck. Cant wait till my next tag!

beautiful area around camp

IMG_3442.jpg

68495127318__9408E91F-E9B0-4369-9128-5BF21CFD9821.jpg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom