Nov 6-20 NV elk calling?

Firedad

I will be taking my rifle and a tag for NE Nevada units 78, 105-107, 109. Dates are Nov 6-20, will I be calling in bulls then? This is my first elk hunt. I know the rut is sept, what I don’t know is if the elk will be talking.

I will be taking my rifle and a tag for NE Nevada units 78, 105-107, 109. Dates are Nov 6-20, will I be calling in bulls then? This is my first elk hunt. I know the rut is sept, what I don’t know is if the elk will be talking.
I don’t know about Nevada, I hunt elk in NM in mid October and we hear very little bugling, we don’t even attempt to call them in, we go find them. I doubt you will hear much talking. Good luck, have fun!

You took my tag. Haha.

On a serious note...

No. It's spot and stalk.

Send me a pm. I have an August cow tag and have hunted the unit before for elk. I can give you some pointers.

Elk “talk” all year long. Cow sounds can be useful even in November but I think if its your first elk hunt you should concentrate on more important things.

That unit has some monster bulls.
39CF1278-093B-4351-8A40-E22D4318A741.jpeg

Two years ago, I had the same date, different unit. I was surprised to see the bulls still cowed up, bugling and pushing the cows. I wouldn't even attempt to call. Under those circumstances, a bull will usually push his cows away from a bugle. On the plus side, they were on their feet and moving quite a bit which made it easy to glass them up.

You might hear some bulls screaming now and then, but for the most part they'll be quiet. I helped a buddy out last year who had that tag and we ended up in 109. You will see a lot of elk.

Elk talk year round, I’ve heard bugles in April Turkey hunting and in late October/November. That said I wouldn’t bugle, I would focus on glass/finding them. I would bring a cow/calf call with; it can be the difference between getting an elk to step back in to a shooting lane.

You have a GREAT tag! Work and recreation take me to that area often and I have seen unbelievable herds of elk during the late season as well as some spectacular bulls.

As others have said, forget the calls. Concentrate on legs and glass as they will determine your success. ---SS

Been on a few late hunts during those dates. Never used a call. 2nd rut kicks in around that time but typically, it’s the younger bulls trying to be big bulls herding cows around and bugling. Look for the big bulls in the areas you don’t want to hunt. They’ll be silent, often in small groups, and in areas you won’t want to pack one out of…just my experience.

Lol, I love this, a Nevada tag for your first elk hunt! ? Congrats, I drew eastern NV elk back in 2007 and had numerous rookie residents stop me on my drive out with 350” bull on Jeep. I felt so bad I left them all my elk calls. They didn’t even bring any! Go figure. For rifle the elk will not be where they are during archery. Strongly recommend you research, call biologist, find out where the elk will be during those Nov. hunt dates. That’s the biggest key you need to learn. Good luck, and post photo on your return.

I’ve got a compact spotting scope that works ok but I pulled the trigger on a vortex razor today.

Lol, I love this, a Nevada tag for your first elk hunt! ? Congrats, I drew eastern NV elk back in 2007 and had numerous rookie residents stop me on my drive out with 350” bull on Jeep. I felt so bad I left them all my elk calls. They didn’t even bring any! Go figure. For rifle the elk will not be where they are during archery. Strongly recommend you research, call biologist, find out where the elk will be during those Nov. hunt dates. That’s the biggest key you need to learn. Good luck, and post photo on your return.
Honestly just noticed this. Or at least the part where it’s Nevada that I drew my first elk tag. While I do feel privileged, this is also not a nonresident hunt. I understand my chances were still small, they’re better for me than for you. ? plus I’m just a lucky guy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom