Now or wait another year?

Bodark

This guy is 20% bigger than he was last year. Is it time to harvest? What do you think he will score? 194 net?

63282lb1.jpg

Now this seems like a dumb question don't you think? Unless of course it's a facebook-esk humble brag that you are considering not shooting a 194?

:)

Nice buck.... no doubt, but the state, unit, etc., would need to be considered before I'd say shoot vs. wait. I'd be surprised if he broke into the 190 range. Good luck with the decision.

Before you call the question "dumb" there are a few things in play here:

1. I don't know what this buck will score. 194 is a wag.

2. I have watched this buck for 2 years. I can wait another if the experts here think it is a 5 or 6 year old buck and not past his prime.

3. I am not on Facebook so I have no clue what games are played there. You can find me in the mountains scouting and learning about mature mule deer bucks.

Good luck with your hunting.

If you can guarantee that he'll survive another year of predators, hunters, injury, winter, etc...and/or there's another bigger buck running around that you're after then sure, give him one more year. However, if it were me, I can't guarantee any of those things, and looking at the photo he's a monster muley no matter what the score. I'd shoot him!

I would shoot now. I let one go for two years on private ground and planned to harvest the following year. Never saw him again. Think he will gross around 200" with about 10" in deductions. My wild guess would be 188- 190 net.

Let Him Live!

And Let Him Mature!

Back Me Off to 1,700 Yards,650 is a Little Close & I'm Not Comfortable with it!

A GUT SHOT at 1,700 Yards will Still Make Some Good BRAGGIN Rights so I Can Say I At Least Hit Him!

90087hankjr.jpg

95% of the hunters on MM would not hesitate... the other 5% would hesitate for 30 seconds and then shoot it. Unless it's an amazing tag where there are 200+ inchers that you are seeing regularly.

Nice buck, but I see a 4-5 yo with 22 and 23" mb and a 20-22" inside spread with 17 1/2 to 18" of mass. Beautiful buck with awesome backs for sure but I'd wait. Maybe he'll get a little trashier.

Its hard to tell from that angle to age him but he is looking to be in the hi 180's is what I would guess. You question shooting him? the first hunter to see him on the hoof will pull the trigger with out question.
Ask your self if he's a trophy in your mind worth shooting, that will answer your question. He's a pretty deer so score for me wouldn't even come into play, I would take him.

Don't die dreaming
DIE TRYING!

I'd say that the guestimates of 190 are pretty close. He's not wide but he's crazy tall with awesome forks. Obviously he's mature so the odds of him adding much width are slim. All of that nit pick aside what are we talking about ? Thats the trophy of a lifetime for most of us and unless I was on Antelope Island, the Henry's, or the Strip he'd be dead on sight if it was me!!

Finding a mature buck more than one year is really quite rare. We hear about it from a few guys and outfitters, but it just doesn't happen in 98% of the cases...

IF you get an opportunity to take this buck, you better. It's more likely he will die of natural causes than you seeing him another year...

Of course, if you have a wall of 200" bucks, then feel free to pass.

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

If you have several bigger ones on the wall, and you feel relatively sure he won't be taken by another hunter, take your chances on next year. Otherwise, I'm with Wasatch and most others. Shoot now. There are no guarantees for next year.

It's a personal call. If you are a serious trophy hunter (it sounds like you are), and you are questioning it; then probably a pass. I'm not a serious trophy hunter and would kill that buck in an instant.

I could care less what he scores, he's cool.

I'm will BobCat, I don't think he's mature yet.

I think it would be outstanding if you/we could see what he looks like in another year. i doubt he'll get too much wider unless he gets a burst of protein and sprouts a cheater or two but...... right now his points and beams are all pretty smooth, no blading even starting anywhere. I've often noticed blading before cheaters start but not always. His main frame conformation is not leaning out, on the top forks or the bottom. If anything they are curling in, not out. His backs are pretty darn long right now so I can't see him putting too much more length on there, unless he branches on the right like he has on the left but I'm betting he won't. Was he a 5 by 4 last year or is that branch new this year?

So, why not shoot him this year? Because he's still young, has small body, and is thin boned. Next year, if the feed is good this fall/winter, he'll put on another 20 pounds and grow more bone marrow, and push out more antler. Where will the extra bone go? I think he'll gain some length on his fronts, get longer eye guards and a bunch more mass on every point and beam. Maybe a little taller and a little wider but not much, certainly not another 20%.

If he lives on public land in a general season area, you should most likely kill now. The risk of having him shot are pretty high these days in open public units. If you are 90% sure another hunter won't see and kill him this year, if............ he's not living next to a heavy traffic area (remember what happened to the buck in Payson, Utah six weeks or so ago.) If you can get a tag next year, I'd takely a chance on him out smarting the cats. The coyotes most like won't bother him unless he gets injured and disease, at his age is not a major risk.

I'm a great believer that you can carry bucks over, for many years, if hunters and highways are not part of the equation, and......... wouldn't it be great to see him reach his potential!

But...............only you know the total situation and very few folks will crawl up your butt if to shoot him now, he's a dandy! Either way, glad you get the opportunity to decide, that's a rare blessing for most of us.

DC

I'm with Zekers and Lumpy.
Younger deer. Great backs.
22-23 inch beams, 17 inch inside spread. Public land better shoot.
Wait another year if you think he will survive and you can find him again. He could put on 20 inches next year.

Lion, car, other hunters, a Hard winter, Rough fight in the Rut, Spotlighters, are just a few reasons NOT to wait.
Wait and lose out or Wait and kill a 210 class deer next year.
If you wait you're stronger Willed then me. LOL
Because I would try and put my tag on him.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

My score guess
right
63 total

left
67 total
130 plus 34 mass plus 18 inch inside =182 gross buck.

Nice buck. I doubt he is 190-200 inch buck this year. maybe next?

Exactly Huntin50. I was seeing maybe 185. I love big backs but this deer will upset some that are looking for a high score.

Should go from good to great with another year or two of growth. It is sad that 99% of hunters would drop him if they had the chance when he is so close to greatness.

However, I've let bucks like that grow, but never found them again the next year, so it's understandable. The thing that is really tragic is the way so many yearling bucks get dumped every year before they even have a chance at greatness.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-17 AT 10:32AM (MST)[p]I was in the 185 group, before I saw their posts. Lack of mass to hit 190", just my opinion.

I would shoot (sorry Bugleb). He's already spread his genes. Look for one of his offspring next year.

UNLESS you have another as good or better one scouted.

>My score guess
>right
>17
>11
>10
>23
>2
>63 total
>
>left
>17
>11
>8
>7
>22
>2
>67 total
>130 plus 34 mass plus 18
>inch inside =182 gross buck.
>
>
>Nice buck. I doubt he
>is 190-200 inch buck this
>year. maybe next?

IS there a reason why you didn't add the 8" inline cheater?

Unless you have a damn special tag, 99.99% of hunters would regret not shooting this buck, and none would regret having him on their wall.

BPK
the 8 inch cheater is below the 11 on left side.
there are 6 measurements on left side, 5 on right. Then add mass and inside spread. 182 still my guess.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom