NR Elk tags, 2021

IDbulls

So, I had a few months of no MM due to being in the hills. The IDFG makes modest changes to how NR tags issued and modest price increases...kinda caught off guard at the amount of vitriol...so here is my question. How many were unable to get the tag you wanted or are used to getting? If so, were you able to get a tag in plan “B” zone?
Each zone had a mild reduction in %of tags for NR but then I see that the overall number of NR tags remain the same. Is that really the case? If so I hope none of you failed to get Lemhi so instead got Snake River zone...you might be disappointed!

I got my first Idaho tag ever, Sawtooth A (although first time applying for a general hunt. Wait, all that for a general, felt like I drew 54 by the time I was done). I got to admit the process was very nerve-racking and had a lot of potential technology pitfalls.
What I like about the December dates is you can use it as a insurance plan early on in the application season.
My buddy logged in about the exact time as me and ended up a couple hours in the waiting room.
They should just move those general hunts to a straight forward draw similar to Utah where they draw general and limited.

Did your buddy get the tag he was after? I really think you will see some sort of draw system in the near future for NR general. How they did it this year is painful

So...all the ranting and wailing and it looks like people still got what they wanted, except for Sawtooth, which sold out early prior to this year? Hmm...

So, I had a few months of no MM due to being in the hills. The IDFG makes modest changes to how NR tags issued and modest price increases...kinda caught off guard at the amount of vitriol...so here is my question. How many were unable to get the tag you wanted or are used to getting? If so, were you able to get a tag in plan “B” zone?
Each zone had a mild reduction in %of tags for NR but then I see that the overall number of NR tags remain the same. Is that really the case? If so I hope none of you failed to get Lemhi so instead got Snake River zone...you might be disappointed!
Elk weren’t really affected, deer is what changed. In some cases like sawtooth, we were given even more then last year. Legitimate general deer tags are what was cut.

Have a buddy from back East he told me they got 1 out of 6 elk tags, said he had one in his cart 3 different times but was never able to secure it for some reason!! **** show sounded like.

So all the anger and consternation is over deer tags??? Hmm...
Who was so anxious? We knew what was going to happen. It may of spread some of the elk tags out, but we still had plenty to choose from. My guess is you’re the one not happy. With your influx of residents in the next few years we’ll see where the extra pressure comes from!?

I have hunted the same unit for the last 20 years. There was a time you could get a second tag after the residents draw was over. Last year the tags sold out in two days . This year they sold out in 2 hours. I know of 10 hunters that have got a tag the last 20 years that did not get one this year. I logged on at 8:30 AM mountain time and was assigned number 1056. The only way to get the tag is to take a day off or have a job that allows you to be locked on to your computer for over 2 hours' to get a tag. Welcome to the future it sucks All western state have become a rich mans game.

Who was so anxious? We knew what was going to happen. It may of spread some of the elk tags out, but we still had plenty to choose from. My guess is you’re the one not happy. With your influx of residents in the next few years we’ll see where the extra pressure comes from!?
There were no fewer than 4 separate threads of guys pissing and moaning about the changes, that were minor and long, long over due IMO. I was just seeing if people weren’t able to get the tags they have been accustomed to getting year after year. I personally think that all zones should be capped at 10% for NR. That is fair. But the F&G caped the most popular at 25% and to all you NR, that is unacceptable. ?

There were no fewer than 4 separate threads of guys pissing and moaning about the changes, that were minor and long, long over due IMO. I was just seeing if people weren’t able to get the tags they have been accustomed to getting year after year. I personally think that all zones should be capped at 10% for NR. That is fair. But the F&G caped the most popular at 25% and to all you NR, that is unacceptable. ?
Get over it, life is too short!? Good thing you don’t hunt out of state, or do you????

Get over it, life is too short!? Good thing you don’t hunt out of state, or do you????
What do I have to “get over” exactly? And yes, I try to hunt Wyoming general elk. They limit NR to an average of one hunt every 4 years, plus they charge more money. I am fine with that. Idaho makes some minor changes that are no where near that restrictive or expensive and everyone loses their ****! Doesn’t seem like I am the one who has something to get over

E431EF48-BF42-4D44-B5CE-CC9BD14C130D.png

it is not hard to see which group is doing the most bitching...NR are butthurt that their guaranteed fall back is threatened!

I’m sure idfg started with non residents to soften the blow won’t be long before residents start to apply for the unit they want to hunt for general deer and elk, probably a point system is in the near future as well

Video illustrating the problem.

Whiner. Burns happen all the time and tags are often refunded or offered for the next year. Again, Idaho has been a free for all with OTC and no other state has. Don’t feel bad for this guy. If it is too risky, don’t buy the tag! Still got what he wants in “his” unit but still has to be a whiney baby about it ?

Why do you guys feel so threatened by the bearded dude??
Oh, I didn’t mean to sound threatened. I didn’t think I did. I just laugh at his “anger” over a system that still allows him an over the counter tag in his unit of choice as a nonresident. I agree, the first come first serve is a bad set up and they have a well earned reputation of crappy computer issues. That needs fixed. But...he still got a tag. He still gets to hunt “his” unit. Quit being a crybaby

I’m sure idfg started with non residents to soften the blow won’t be long before residents start to apply for the unit they want to hunt for general deer and elk, probably a point system is in the near future as w
You dont want a point system

Whiner. Burns happen all the time and tags are often refunded or offered for the next year. Again, Idaho has been a free for all with OTC and no other state has. Don’t feel bad for this guy. If it is too risky, don’t buy the tag! Still got what he wants in “his” unit but still has to be a whiney baby about it ?
What a cry baby. Most of Idaho's gmu are huge with no shortage of hunting spots.

There are good and bad things about NM draw system. The biggest problem with NM is the outfitter welfare tags. 10% for outfitters, 6% for nonresidents and 84% for residents isn't something Idaho wants.

Or 0% to outfitters. There shouldn't be any guaranteed tags for outfitters. If someone wants to hire an outfitter then they can draw a tag with everyone else.

I hear you, but your talking about someone’s income to help feed there family and pay bills.... so I disagree with that 0%, but definitely should be around 5%.
Matt

I hear you, but your talking about someone’s income to help feed there family and pay bills.... so I disagree with that 0%, but definitely should be around 5%.
Matt
If the outfitter is providing a good service, then they won't have any trouble booking clients when they are not guaranteed tags.

I don't really want to hijack this thread to discuss outfitter welfare tags. I'll start a new thread at the link below.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom