NR Fees

The older I get the more these increases hurt. 56% increase in an elk tag plus the increase in license fees.

Looks like we may have some leftover 2nd non-resident tags for us residents next year. If we can afford them...

The southern part of the state had a tough winter kill 2 out of the last 5 years, the deer herd isn’t in great shape,It would be hard for me to justify the cost increase

I will probably still put in, but the increase in license and app fees for the control hunts (non refundable) hurts especially given the already long odds. 45 dollar app fee seems a but excessive.

Just did some research for the NR hunters that are under the impression Idaho might be too expensive for 2021. Idaho will still be one of the least expensive state to hunt Elk & Mule Deer.
The data I acquired was the total cost for a Hunting License, Elk tag & Mule Deer tag.
Idaho....$1187
AZ....$1140
NV....$1595
WY....$1066
MT....$1496
UT....$1243
All Idaho has done is increase fees to at or near par with the other western states.
Hope this eases the sting.
PB

Just did some research for the NR hunters that are under the impression Idaho might be too expensive for 2021. Idaho will still be one of the least expensive state to hunt Elk & Mule Deer.
The data I acquired was the total cost for a Hunting License, Elk tag & Mule Deer tag.
Idaho....$1187
AZ....$1140
NV....$1595
WY....$1066
MT....$1496
UT....$1243
All Idaho has done is increase fees to at or near par with the other western states.
I agree they needed to be raised to comparable prices. I thought they would be issuing less non-resident tags in the future as well but guess that didn't go through. I'd love to be able to buy a non-resident tag again. Even with the increase in price I'm sure they will sell out before the residents gets a chance to buy.

Great start, but really it was a joke!! the only Real major increase was the adult elk tag !! All the rest were bumps of $10 to $50 , Now they need to reduce the # of NR tags in ALL units & reduce all NR controlled tags in all units. And do away with all the 2nd chance deer & elk tags all together Resident & NR !! Then maybe our herds will be around for your kids or grandkids !!!!

Not true...NR can buy their Idaho license and tags starting 12/1/2020 for the 2021 hunting season. Residents can't get their tags until July 2021 for the same season. So general season Idaho tags for NR hunters are still a great acquisition.
PB

Idaho....$1187
AZ....$1140
NV....$1595
WY....$1066
MT....$1496
UT....$1243
Thry need to increase resident fees, also all the, states listed are one, sided they pass the cost of
Managing off on the non residents
Here in Montana is the worse $1496 for a non resident
The resident Combo is $30 bucks

still does nothing to address the elephant in the room and thats the massive influx in "resident" hunters in the last 20 years. Its 5x or more just the NR elk tag quota

still does nothing to address the elephant in the room and thats the massive influx in "resident" hunters in the last 20 years. Its 5x or more just the NR elk tag quota
And, just how, do you propose, they, stop or fix, the influx????

Great start, but really it was a joke!! the only Real major increase was the adult elk tag !! All the rest were bumps of $10 to $50 , Now they need to reduce the # of NR tags in ALL units & reduce all NR controlled tags in all units. And do away with all the 2nd chance deer & elk tags all together Resident & NR !! Then maybe our herds will be around for your kids or grandkids !!!!
Yea did you happen to look at how much they raised the youth nonresident tags?

Youth was a 31.75 license now $91.75
Youth tag was $23.75 now $176.75
Nonresident youth wanting to hunt in Idaho took the brunt of the cost increase
Right there is the biggest reason why Idaho will no longer get a dime from me. Too expensive for the kids. Fortunately Wyoming is still reasonably priced for NR youth at $100.00

I’m not currently a resident of Idaho and have no problem with nonresidents being limited to 10% of the tags in a zone or unit. I also don’t blame Idaho for increasing nonresident fees to be comparable to other neighboring states.

It is wrong when elk zones that have limited tags and 40% are reserved for nonresidents before residents even have an opportunity to buy a tag. I‘m also tired of the set aside outfitter tags aka “outfitter welfare” tags.

I do have a problem with how poor the hunting is for general season mule deer than it was in the past. The experience of OTC Idaho archery elk is also not as good as the past due to overcrowding.

I agree that the biggest problem with overcrowding are new residents moving to Idaho. The overall elk and deer Nonresident quotas have not been significantly adjusted for over 20 years. Nonresidents ARE NOT the reason for more crowding in general season in recent years.

It is hard to find the value of the Idaho license and deer and elk tag fees. I would probably drop Idaho from my yearly hunting plans if it wasn’t for wanting to return to hunt with friends and family and visit places I’ve hunted in my youth.

I also have no problem with the increased cost of the youth tags. If parents have the time and money to travel to Idaho to hunt the extra $200 or $300 isn't going to severally limit them on being able to take their kid hunting in Idaho. It could limited a few grandparents from taking their nonresident grandkids hunting or Utah residents kids that live next to the boarder but I'm guessing that number is very small.

Not being allowed to miss school, competing activities (football) and having parents too busy to take kids hunting are the biggest limit to kids becoming involved in hunting. I'm all for youth opportunity but the current system in Idaho is more than generous to resident and nonresident kids in Idaho.

I didn't have the opportunity to buy Utah, Wyoming or Montana tags for pennies on the dollar when I was a kid. I also didn't have the opportunity for special youth opportunities like transfer of controlled hunts from grandma, doe hunts (I would have gladly shot a doe), special waterfowl season or pheasant season as a youth. I still had rich opportunities to hunt and enjoy the outdoors. Having good mentors is what kids need to find an interest in hunting.

Last edited:
Youth was a 31.75 license now $91.75
Youth tag was $23.75 now $176.75
Nonresident youth wanting to hunt in Idaho took the brunt of the cost increase
Meh. Still cheap. Pick up another shift at McDonald’s Dooper if you want to hunt Idaho...

Did that help you move into that fancy double wide Pedro?
I’m not the one over here crying about 100 dollars ????
1605416648715.png

Sure stirred up a lot of CRYING !! here's my suggestion if you want to hunt Idaho spend the extra $$ IF not guess what we dont F@#KING care in fact we really hope you take your $$ & your CRY baby attitudes to some other state !!

Sure stirred up a lot of CRYING !! here's my suggestion if you want to hunt Idaho spend the extra $$ IF not guess what we dont F@#KING care in fact we really hope you take your $$ & your CRY baby attitudes to some other state !!
FREEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOMMMMMM!

Who’s we? Have a turd in your pocket??

If idaho had QAULITY ELK & DEER HUNTING the increase, would be worth it, unfortunately for the increase, it just can't compete with surrounding states, as, far as, quality of trophy class animals
Idaho hasn't got the genetics for true trophy class elk and your mule deer quality by the residents very own words is in the gutter.
When montana, out ranks idaho for record book mule deer entry in the last 4yrs (and many more that were never reported) YOU defineatly
Have a, problem

The Farmers love taking Res or Non-res money, they own the fish and game, and they truly suck at big game management. They sell off their yearling calves every year, so they are doing the same with our wildlife

Funny part is all this, whining from residents, about overcrowding by non residents
But when you look at actuel numbers
Residents out number non residents as much as 5-1in any unit and the total harvest in every unit is 3 times higher for residents then non residents BUT yet your still BLAMEING and stateing its the non residents that are responsible for idahos low deer numbers
According to most on this board.
When in fact its your very own fish & game
And their mismanagement they has created the situation idaho finds itself in with their deer herd today

Again kicking the can down the road and makeing it someone else's problem for the last 20+ years and NOT realizing or refusing to acknowledge future changes /problems is
Exactly how idaho got to where it is today

I think I've said it on here before, but I'll say it again. IFG sets seasons every 2 years. Prior to setting, they generally send out a questionnaire, (the majority of them don't get turned back in) asking what Idaho hunter are looking for. By a large percentage, most are looking for opportunity over quality. There are a lot of us in Idaho that can acknowledge the elephant in the room as being new residents. I can't say that it is strictly IFG's mismanagement that is on full display here, the commission is driven by the legislature. When the legislators have heard enough, the commissioners will act.
A lot of hunters in Idaho (long time residents) still value and yearn for the days of plentiful deer and way less hunters. Those days are long gone, and are not returning. The reduction in NR tags will satisfy them for a while, but eventually the reality is going to set in. The times they are a changin. For some, not for the better.

Oh they go by the name of idfg, it’s what happens when you give out 200 antlerless tags to go along with all of the other tags

Looks like our yearly bear hunt will cost about $76.00 more a year. Not going to break the bank and will not stop us from enjoying our hunt. Always a great time with family, friends, great food and always some success!!! Like I have said before. It keeps getting more expensive everywhere. I have dropped several hunts or states and just target the hunts and states that I wish to hunt within my budget. Still can plan on a few a year. As long as I get to spend time with family and friend a couple times a year, it does not matter if I have the tag or one of them.

Pay to play, just have to plan a bit more.

I think I've said it on here before, but I'll say it again.
A lot of hunters in Idaho (long time residents) still value and yearn for the days of plentiful deer and way less hunters. Those days are long gone, and are not returning. The reduction in NR tags will satisfy them for a while, but eventually the reality is going to set in. The times they are a changin. For some, not for the better.
Exactly it's not just idaho we see it here in.montana, friends see it in CO, WY, NM, ut
MODERN technology long range rifles and forums like this one have forever changed
The landscape, the GOOD OLD Days are
Long long gone and they won't ever return
Even if you shut non resident hunting down completely

Well then, I’m going to suggest to IDFG that Seniors should be able to buy a lifetime license and be able to shoot what they want, when they want, anytime they want, full open season All year long until they die, anyone over 60. It stated in Idaho law that this wildlife is for food.

You guys should really stop whining about a few bucks. If you want to hunt, you gotta pay! Next season I'm hunting moose in Alaska, Elk & Deer in Idaho, Deer in Oregon and if the draw goes well Elk or Deer in Arizona. Whats that old saying? "If you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it". Fire away...?
PB

You guys should really stop whining about a few bucks. If you want to hunt, you gotta pay! Next season I'm hunting moose in Alaska, Elk & Deer in Idaho, Deer in Oregon and if the draw goes well Elk or Deer in Arizona. Whats that old saying? "If you have to ask how much you probably can't afford it". Fire away...?
PB
Wow!!!! Good for you!!! Awesome story btw, very motivational

I think this is also part of the reason people shoot small deer. They feel it’s better to come home with something small rather than nothing after spending a lot of money.
Exactly and with this increase its about to get worse,
The if it's brown it's down. Mentality is, about to kick In to high gear ,
this is, exactly what happenes in Montana, for the cost of non resident licence in this state no way people are going to go home and eat tag soup.
So they, shoot any legal deer they see
Certain regions here in.montana,you can get 6 antlerless deer tags, per hunter plus antlerless, elk tags and hunt from August to February
6 months of constant non stop pressure
On our herds and yet we cry about the poor game numbers in the state but we, stand in line all night to make sure we get those extra tags

They will you could raise them to 1000 dollars and the non residents will still buy them...
Not me said I! There are better states with better deer hunting. I highly doubt Idaho would sell very many tags for $1000, the residents keep forgetting the deer herd sucks!

Pretty simple then, move on. Don’t let the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya.
No worries! I have already stated I will not be returning to Idaho. Good riddance and good luck with your hunts. When I see an Idaho plate in my home state I will gladly give them the same treatment I have been given by you entitled a$$ holes

I bet you don’t shoot deer like that every year. Likely a draw tag also or private property. Give more details
100% Public land, over the counter rifle deer tag. And maybe not every year but close. I haven't shot a small mule deer in 15 years, I pass on the small bucks. They'll never get big if you shoot them when they are small. BTW, I have filled my deer tag every year for the last 20+ years.

It has been my observation that the Idaho "public land" deer quality isn't much different than say Utah, New Mexico or Colorado. The trick is knowing how to find and hunt Mule Deer. Road hunting won't do it. Getting into Big buck country takes effort.

No worries! I have already stated I will not be returning to Idaho. Good riddance and good luck with your hunts. When I see an Idaho plate in my home state I will gladly give them the same treatment I have been given by you entitled a$$ holes

I was born and raised in Idaho now live in another state. I have a cousin who owns property next to a popular waterfowl hunting spot. I park my truck on my cousin’s property to access the public. 3 chicken $hit Idaho punks left a note on my truck telling me to go Home and bragging about their 3 man limit. They trespassed and cut an electric fence to get to my truck. The next morning they were out there setting up in the exact same spot. I walked out there by my lonesome and confronted them. Little Idaho puzzys couldn’t even back up their note even though it was 3 against 1. They lied and denied everything.

Nice Rack we all could kill oppurtunity bucks , but if your going to brag those are big Mule Deer for Idaho your wrong. My youngest daughter kills bigger bucks. What we’re talking about is bringing back our mature Mule Deer, we have taken the cream of the crop out of about all of our good units.

E7F71367-A483-4E61-BF23-60A94738FA18.jpeg

Nice Rack we all could kill oppurtunity bucks , but if your going to brag those are big Mule Deer for Idaho your wrong. My youngest daughter kills bigger bucks. What we’re talking about is bringing back our mature Mule Deer, we have taken the cream of the crop out of about all of our good units.

View attachment 18698

Very nice buck congrats, to your daughter

Idaho has the genetics and habitat to produce absolute giant deer . In a lot of different areas of the state not just one little corner like say Arizona. Not my place to say they should but I can’t imagine what we would see out of idaho in 5-10 years if they went to the same system Colorado uses (and didn’t decide to give **** tons of tags during the rut like Colorado just did)

I have no problem with Idaho’s deer quality! Been hunting the most popular unit the past 2 weeks, I saw probably/guessing 5 4pt or better every day! Including 2 giants! A 4x6 and a 5x5 not including eye guards which both had them! Don’t believe me get out up blacks Creek and walk! Not many of the people I saw got off there F’n machine! Couple nice Moose out there as welll, oh and a dandy 6x6 bull elk!
Matt

D527441E-7327-4407-95FC-5035F34D88AF.jpeg

C56A20B6-516A-4F65-9F32-7C4B4A18CF8E.jpeg

20BC70BF-7271-4AAD-82F6-BE3E0EE4B876.jpeg

CDE2DF2A-D31F-4BAF-A3A8-8C3AD3E80907.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom