NR Fees

Not me said I! There are better states with better deer hunting. I highly doubt Idaho would sell very many tags for $1000, the residents keep forgetting the deer herd sucks!
Well the out of stater tags went pretty quick, There are some left but not many of the good ones. Like I said money is no issue for non residents..

I was lucky enough to be only 1k deep or so from the random selecting and got the tag I was after. Do I believe I secured a great elk hunt for trophy quality? Not at all. Do you I think a got a great insurance plan should the rest of my plans not materialize? You betcha! The crappy part of this is I wanted to go on this hunt with a buddy, and of course he got buried with a crappy number and didn’t get an elk tag. The IDFG needs to do better. It’s a damn general tag, public should be able to party app come on.

I was lucky enough to be only 1k deep or so from the random selecting and got the tag I was after. Do I believe I secured a great elk hunt for trophy quality? Not at all. Do you I think a got a great insurance plan should the rest of my plans not materialize? You betcha! The crappy part of this is I wanted to go on this hunt with a buddy, and of course he got buried with a crappy number and didn’t get an elk tag. The IDFG needs to do better. It’s a damn general tag, public should be able to party app come on.
When did you log in to the web site. I log in 2 hours early and I was 6789 in line....

When did you log in to the web site. I log in 2 hours early and I was 6789 in line....
I logged into the website right at 9:45 and then clicked buy license and put me in the waiting room, my buddy logged in about the same time as me, slightly after and he was 6000

Great start, but really it was a joke!! the only Real major increase was the adult elk tag !! All the rest were bumps of $10 to $50 , Now they need to reduce the # of NR tags in ALL units & reduce all NR controlled tags in all units. And do away with all the 2nd chance deer & elk tags all together Resident & NR !! Then maybe our herds will be around for your kids or grandkids !!!!
I like it but they also need to go to draw & reduce tags for residents to help the herds.

Wow, hadn't read through that post until today. Typical MM attitudes on here. Feisty. Semi educated. Typically selfish.

couple clarifications. This new vendor uses Random Number generation for everyone logged in early. You don't get a number based on when you logged in, unless you log in after go time(10am). So 2 guys could log in the same time and one get a high and one a low start number.
Just a bit of a reminder that this state has had a few killer winters the past 5 years. 2016/2017 winter killed about every fawn, and a bunch of adult deer, and likely left a low crop of fawns born spring of '17 as well, so took out almost 1.5 generations of deer. That means a lot of deer that would be 3.5 and 4.5 are missing. Some units are worse than others. Not saying the woods would be full of booners had that winter not come, but it's affecting "mature" bucks more today than even 2yrs ago. Herds are recovering, slowly for sure.

Lastly, take a look at the data for yourself, but NR tag sales have gone up a lot more than any other form, doubling since 2014 for deer and about 120% for elk. Yes resident tag sales are also up, likely new residents, but not more than NR, and only represent about a 10% growth in the same time period. That's a lot of CA, TX, OR, UT, WA, etc guys who have shot their wad in UT, WY, AZ, Colo, etc and have no points to cash in, or certainly not as often, as they used to, so ID and it's crappy herd, high opportunity is even more important, and why the price increase may piss people off, but they won't stay away, not if they want to hunt. This impacts my best friend, so I'm a resident who is torn. He's a 90% disabled vet too, and is really feeling the change.

PS IDFG hasn't killed off our deer, Mother Nature has. Two bad winters in last 5. 2016/2017 winter wiped about a generation and a half, by itself. Also, want bigger bucks/bulls, stop killing the first one you see. F&G doesn't need to set limits for horn size, you can choose to limit yourself.

Wow, hadn't read through that post until today. Typical MM attitudes on here. Feisty. Semi educated. Typically selfish.

couple clarifications. This new vendor uses Random Number generation for everyone logged in early. You don't get a number based on when you logged in, unless you log in after go time(10am). So 2 guys could log in the same time and one get a high and one a low start number.
Just a bit of a reminder that this state has had a few killer winters the past 5 years. 2016/2017 winter killed about every fawn, and a bunch of adult deer, and likely left a low crop of fawns born spring of '17 as well, so took out almost 1.5 generations of deer. That means a lot of deer that would be 3.5 and 4.5 are missing. Some units are worse than others. Not saying the woods would be full of booners had that winter not come, but it's affecting "mature" bucks more today than even 2yrs ago. Herds are recovering, slowly for sure.

Lastly, take a look at the data for yourself, but NR tag sales have gone up a lot more than any other form, doubling since 2014 for deer and about 120% for elk. Yes resident tag sales are also up, likely new residents, but not more than NR, and only represent about a 10% growth in the same time period. That's a lot of CA, TX, OR, UT, WA, etc guys who have shot their wad in UT, WY, AZ, Colo, etc and have no points to cash in, or certainly not as often, as they used to, so ID and it's crappy herd, high opportunity is even more important, and why the price increase may piss people off, but they won't stay away, not if they want to hunt. This impacts my best friend, so I'm a resident who is torn. He's a 90% disabled vet too, and is really feeling the change.

PS IDFG hasn't killed off our deer, Mother Nature has. Two bad winters in last 5. 2016/2017 winter wiped about a generation and a half, by itself. Also, want bigger bucks/bulls, stop killing the first one you see. F&G doesn't need to set limits for horn size, you can choose to limit yourself.
Finally some common sense!
Matt

Why reduce tags for residents? Oh wait you wanna be able to shoot a deer off your SxS..... ???? plenty of Deer and Elk in Idaho, go out and find them!
Matt
Because Idaho has gained 750,000 residents in the last 30 years with out adjusting tags. I do get out & off the road to hunt. I know there are good animals in Idaho but like most states, it needs to work on the herds.

IDFG didn't kill them but they sure as hell aren't helping their comeback.

Because Idaho has gained 750,000 residents in the last 30 years with out adjusting tags. I do get out & off the road to hunt. I know there are good animals in Idaho but like most states, it needs to work on the herds.
so your telling us we don't need the non resident hunter at all now. i think i like where this is going.

You really should apply for different states, there is some great deer and elk hunting in Utah, Wyoming and Colorado

i have in the past and will again in the future. my kids are a few years form out of the house and im still pretty young so there plenty of time. made a decision years ago to go for quality time out there over quantity everywhere and have a better balance n my life with my family. i was that guy that going everywhere and burning up as much as i could, pro staff stuff blah blah blah. got free gear and filled tags, i cant tell you how much more i enjoy hunting now that i dont do that.

when i do get back to that and my kids are gone i can tell you i wont be bitching about what it takes for me to hunt another state as a non resident (and didn't when i was). its there game.i if i want to play its by there rules. cry me a river...

Yea I like hunting Idaho, family on my moms side has lived there for 50+years,I’ve had nonresident tags on and off for a better part of 20 years, my only complaint was the increase in the youth tags, it was fairly substantial,but I’m just an average hunter, no pro stuff or anything super cool, good luck to you in your hunts

“Lastly, take a look at the data for yourself, but NR tag sales have gone up a lot more than any other form, doubling since 2014 for deer and about 120% for elk. Yes resident tag sales are also up, likely new residents, but not more than NR, and only represent about a 10% growth in the same time period.”

You are wrong on Nonresident tag sales. There has been no major changes in statewide nonresident tag numbers in Idaho in more than 20 years. Nonresident numbers may have increased in some units or residents bought the leftover nonresident tags but the cap hasn’t changed.

“Lastly, take a look at the data for yourself, but NR tag sales have gone up a lot more than any other form, doubling since 2014 for deer and about 120% for elk. Yes resident tag sales are also up, likely new residents, but not more than NR, and only represent about a 10% growth in the same time period.”

You are wrong on Nonresident tag sales. There has been no major changes in statewide nonresident tag numbers in Idaho in more than 20 years. Nonresident numbers may have increased in some units or residents bought the leftover nonresident tags but the cap hasn’t changed.
According to Us fish & wildlife service.

1990 res tags, lic, stamps sold 590,368 & Non-res 73,794

2020 res 1,270,017 & Non-res 219,419

Over double the amount sold to residents & triple amount to non.

Yes non res double since 2014.

Still way more people in the field. Res & Non

Compare that to Colorado 1990 res tags 431k non res tags 183k
2020 res tags 471k Non res tags 111k

Wyoming 1990 res tags 213k non res tags 87k
2020 res tags 178k non res tags 77k
In both cases less tags sold in 2020 than 1990

Not in Idaho, More than double the tags sold since 1990

At least that's how I am reading the charts.

Those tags never sold out until the last few years, so there has been more of a demand and more NR in the field than in years past. It was the #1 complaint to F&G the last 2 years, no matter what part of the state. Golly, we may be on to something! Nah, just a bunch of cry baby residents, right?

You guys do realize those USFS numbers mean that NR saturation increased from 11.1% of hunters afield in 1990 to 14.7% of hunters afield in 2020 while the Resident hunters increased by more than double (+115% from 590,368 to 1,270,017) over the same time!

If you removed every single NR from hunting in Idaho in 2020, there would still be over 605,000 MORE resident hunters this year than ALL hunters combined in 1990. That's nearly double the licenses that were sold in 1990 (+91%)... without a single NR in the mix.

The "Build The Wall Around Idaho" crowd is barking up the wrong tree thinking this is a NR problem.

Last edited:
You guys do realize those USFS numbers mean that NR saturation increased from 11.1% of hunters afield in 1990 to 14.7% of hunters afield in 2020 while the Resident hunters increased by more than double (+115% from 590,368 to 1,270,017) over the same time!

If you removed every single NR from hunting in Idaho in 2020, there would still be over 605,000 MORE resident hunters this year than ALL hunters combined in 1990. That's nearly double the licenses that were sold in 1990 (+91%)... without a single NR in the mix.

The "Build The Wall Around Idaho" crowd is barking up the wrong tree thinking this is a NR problem.
Yep!

Yeah, drive into any drainage in September in Salmon, Leadore, Beaverhead, Island Park, Diamond Creek and tell me NR is not the problem. Or how about the Crow creek drainage during general deer. I guarantee that you will see more NR than Idaho plates. Y’all are just pissed because your fallback opportunity state may become more difficult and not a yearly trip.

Those tags never sold out until the last few years, so there has been more of a demand and more NR in the field than in years past. It was the #1 complaint to F&G the last 2 years, no matter what part of the state. Golly, we may be on to something! Nah, just a bunch of cry baby residents, right?
There were some years the nonresident tags were not selling out until late fall but they were still selling out. A few years before those recession years, the nonresident tags were selling out early. I’m very well aware of how many nonresident tags have been sold in Idaho for the last 30 years. There has been no significant changes in the quota. Trying to claim there are significantly more nonresident deer and elk hunters in Idaho in 2020 vs 2000 is completely false.

Yeah, drive into any drainage in September in Salmon, Leadore, Beaverhead, Island Park, Diamond Creek and tell me NR is not the problem. Or how about the Crow creek drainage during general deer. I guarantee that you will see more NR than Idaho plates. Y’all are just pissed because your fallback opportunity state may become more difficult and not a yearly trip.
There are more nonresident archery elk hunters now than there was 30 years ago. The nonresidents just switched from rifle to archery hunting. Same number of tags just different distribution. The new system will help correct the distribution on nonresident hunters. I agree that it is more than fair to limit nonresidents to 10% of the tags.

And you're back to managing wildlife based on license plates.

As the numbers have clearly shown, with the growth in Idaho you guys can do whatever you want with NR tags and the overall hunter numbers will still keep skyrocketing. You're fixing nothing.

You'll ultimately either have to limit resident hunters to a draw or deal with increasing crowds and diminishing herds. There's no other choice.

Even with “skyrocketing” resident hunters, we still have several zones where there are more nonresident tags sold than resident. That simply doesn’t happen in any other state. They FINALLY attempt to fix the problem. It should not be that way. And yes, there will come a day when too many residents will necessitate a draw system. But it should not happen if “opportunity” hints are still given out OTC to NR.

And you're back to managing wildlife based on license plates.

As the numbers have clearly shown, with the growth in Idaho you guys can do whatever you want with NR tags and the overall hunter numbers will still keep skyrocketing. You're fixing nothing.

You'll ultimately either have to limit resident hunters to a draw or deal with increasing crowds and diminishing herds. There's no other choice.
There’s lots of choice! Your high if you think there’s not! Ban non resident hunting lol ? if there’s that many more residents our tag and license sales should cover yours lol ? again MT, WY, OR, NV, UT all still have OTC tags or tags that are unlimited/leftover you just have to apply for, I doubt ID is going to be the first to F$&@ there residents that live there.....
Matt

This is like beating a dead horse. There's only one way to fix the problem and many Residents don't want to go there.

Raise Resident tag prices substantially for deer and elk. Cut the Resident tags by 33% Limit the NR to only up to 10% of tags for all species in all units. Go to a system where you have to pick your weapon and seasons. No more hunting Mule Deer from Aug 30-December in general OTC units. Quit killing does when the herds are in such poor shape.

Residents want to be able to hunt every year and shoot anything with fur.
F&G likes the system just like it is. There is no need to manage anything just offer as many tags as possible to bring in as much money as they can.

This state has the genetics and habitat to support solid quality herds. Money trumps everything.

It's all about opportunity.

Very well said grizz , best I’ve heard yet ?

I agree that at some point resident hunter numbers will need addressed. The numbers above are a bit misleading. There were 295k licensed hunters in Idaho in 2019 and 288k for 2020.

This is like beating a dead horse. There's only one way to fix the problem and many Residents don't want to go there.

Raise Resident tag prices substantially for deer and elk. Cut the Resident tags by 33% Limit the NR to only up to 10% of tags for all species in all units. Go to a system where you have to pick your weapon and seasons. No more hunting Mule Deer from Aug 30-December in general OTC units. Quit killing does when the herds are in such poor shape.

Residents want to be able to hunt every year and shoot anything with fur.
F&G likes the system just like it is. There is no need to manage anything just offer as many tags as possible to bring in as much money as they can.

This state has the genetics and habitat to support solid quality herds. Money trumps everything.

It's all about opportunity.
Terrible idea. Sounds like what Utah does and there is no opportunity for the majority of hunters. Nope. No need for that at this point.

Terrible idea. Sounds like what Utah does and there is no opportunity for the majority of hunters. Nope. No need for that at this point.
Or what Colorado or Nevada does too. It's like I said earlier residents don't want to give up opportunity.

I disagree. I don't think it's such a terrible idea at all. Might need a little tweaking but most of what he says is true. Tag prices for us are ridiculously cheap and should be raised. Lots of guys will ***** about it but I don't care. Might( and that's a big MIGHT) discourage some guys from buying tags for every kid and family member and going out and shooting anything brown, claiming they need the meat to make it through the winter. Give me a break and cry me a river. Sell your frickin side-by-side then and buy a side of beef. The days of uncrowded, quality hunts are over unless IDFG starts controlling the number of hunters in an given unit at any given time. I wish I could hunt from Aug-Dec too but the reality is that with the number of hunters, both resident and NR now, it's too much pressure on an already struggling herd. I've seen disturbingly low buck:doe ratios for the last couple yrs due to the fact that guys are shooting every little yearling and 2 yr old forks because they haven't seen any mature bucks. Those forks will never become mature deer now and there will be even less mature bucks next year, not to mention all the fawns they could have fathered. People, both resident and NR, need to realize THEY are just as responsible as IDFG for the herd rebounding and putting doe or small buck meat in the freezer just isn't that important as restoring a healthy herd.
I also want to respond to a comment about shooting does being "part of healthy game mgmt." States that allow the killing of does do it in areas where the herd is overpopulated and not in danger of predation or rebounding from a severe winter kill. It's rarely done with mule deer and is usually done with whitetails, where the herds are somewhat protected from wolves and other serious predation issues because they live around farm and ag ground. The have consistent food sources in the way of alfalfa and hay. Here in ID, we now have a serious wolf problem that IDFG is allowing to get out of control. To further harvest does when thousands are likely being killed by predation only contributes to the decline.
The resident population of hunters in this state isn't going to decline. It's unfortunate but the days of quality, uncrowded hunting are over unless IDFG plays a roll in reducing hunter numbers in the field. I would love to know that I could get an OTC tag every year and hunt all season long with multiple weapons and have a great chance at killing a mature buck, but there's just too damn many hunters, both resident and NR, in the field and harassing deer for 3 solid months. Yes, many never leave their machine. But, more and more are, especially after seeing pics and posts from guys claiming how many deer they saw by getting out and walking. People aren't stupid, nor are the deer. Eventually, the deer will adapt and the only way to get into quality deer will be to pack in a camp deep into roadless areas to get away from even the day-hike hunters.

@Mallards_Only your a problem! My family has survived on the game we harvest, fish we catch, and local vegetables! I’ve been married 18 years, we have not bought meat for 16 of those! SidexSide are part of the problem, before that 4wheelers, before that 3 wheelers, before that keeps, before that 4x4 trucks..... give me a break you have an excuse for everything.... opportunity will trump any of your whining! Get off your ass and work for it! I got on big bulls and big deer this year, harvested a nice 5x5..... kids shot deer also.
We do it cause we love to hunt/fish! We also enjoy the healthy benefits of eating what Mother Earth provides! No beef will ever be as healthy as a nice young deer or elk ? this year I spent a total of $180 for the elk I shot, got 190lbs of meat which I process myself, pretty sure that’s some damn good eats for a fair price. IDFG doesn’t need anymore money, just someone who can manage the money they already have.
Matt

@Mallards_Only your a problem! My family has survived on the game we harvest, fish we catch, and local vegetables! I’ve been married 18 years, we have not bought meat for 16 of those! SidexSide are part of the problem, before that 4wheelers, before that 3 wheelers, before that keeps, before that 4x4 trucks..... give me a break you have an excuse for everything.... opportunity will trump any of your whining! Get off your ass and work for it! I got on big bulls and big deer this year, harvested a nice 5x5..... kids shot deer also.
We do it cause we love to hunt/fish! We also enjoy the healthy benefits of eating what Mother Earth provides! No beef will ever be as healthy as a nice young deer or elk ? this year I spent a total of $180 for the elk I shot, got 190lbs of meat which I process myself, pretty sure that’s some damn good eats for a fair price. IDFG doesn’t need anymore money, just someone who can manage the money they already have.
Matt
That was probably the most motivational post I’ve read in a while ?

Matt
Matt,

care to share any pics of your big 5x5 and your kids big bucks they got this year? Just curious what big is to you!

Matt,

care to share any pics of your big 5x5 and your kids big bucks they got this year? Just curious what big is to you!
Pretty sure I said a nice 5x5 and my kids got deer. So nice try though....
Matt
Oh you want a big Idaho deer here ya go 206 7/8, oh yea this comes out of one of those units where all the 2 pts get shot and there’s no big deer left ????
BCAC3F74-989D-46E5-94B6-7D930D9059F3.jpeg

Pretty sure I said a nice 5x5 and my kids got deer. So nice try though....
Matt
Oh you want a big Idaho deer here ya go 206 7/8, oh yea this comes out of one of those units where all the 2 pts get shot and there’s no big deer left ????
View attachment 19223

Beautiful buck!

But a disturbing viewpoint of how the future of Idaho game management should work.....sure glad all hunters don't pride themselves on eating ONLY wild meat.

But a disturbing viewpoint of how the future of Idaho game management should work.....sure glad all hunters don't pride themselves on eating ONLY wild meat.
Says people that can’t hunt..... your going to get a disease or die or go broke buying beef..... probably cancer too
Matt

Matt
Yep. And keep making your posts about how and where you hunt and we'll see just how successful you are in the future when your area/unit is overrun with hunters because you couldn't keep your mouth shut. Then, try to explain to your family why they have to go hungry because you couldn't find game in the areas where you used to.
BTW, I got off my ass and "worked for it." I did not harvest an elk this year because I won't shoot an immature bull or a cow. I also did not harvest a deer in ID this year because I refuse to shoot a doe or an immature buck when the herd is still struggling to recover. I call BS on the $180. When you factor in gas, food, lodging(even a trailer or RV), ATV, tag and license, and other equipment(even when depreciated over several yrs), there's no way one spends less than $200/yr to harvest an animal. You're delusional if you think that's the case. I prefer wild game over store-bought beef as well but I'm not gonna jeopardize the health of the resource because of it. Bottom line is that we all want the same things--health of the resource and opportunity. It's just that many haven't seen the reality of where both are going.

I only eat wild game as well. Except some chicken

We are pretty close to this. We shoot a ton of waterfowl, usually 2 to 3 deer a year but some years none, some years more but we hunt 2 or more states a year to do this and the years it was more i still had 4 kids at home. I dont have much elk opportunity at home but have killed a couple and plan to kill more and I realize this can really bolster the effort to eat mostly wild game.

We have Chickens for eggs have grown pork in the past.

I have no issue with this as a goal, I do if it is placed before all else as duckoslayer implies.

Last edited:
You are entertaining.
Unfortunately for you, I already own property and a house in your sacred spot.
What you should be thanking is your states tax system or I would have the same plates as you too.
Stay off my yard and I'll see ya soon!!!

Yep. And keep making your posts about how and where you hunt and we'll see just how successful you are in the future when your area/unit is overrun with hunters because you couldn't keep your mouth shut. Then, try to explain to your family why they have to go hungry because you couldn't find game in the areas where you used to.
BTW, I got off my ass and "worked for it." I did not harvest an elk this year because I won't shoot an immature bull or a cow. I also did not harvest a deer in ID this year because I refuse to shoot a doe or an immature buck when the herd is still struggling to recover. I call BS on the $180. When you factor in gas, food, lodging(even a trailer or RV), ATV, tag and license, and other equipment(even when depreciated over several yrs), there's no way one spends less than $200/yr to harvest an animal. You're delusional if you think that's the case. I prefer wild game over store-bought beef as well but I'm not gonna jeopardize the health of the resource because of it. Bottom line is that we all want the same things--health of the resource and opportunity. It's just that many haven't seen the reality of where both are going.
How far must one depreciate ones equipment? I am the original owner of a 10 year old truck, haven’t had a payment in 6 years. I don’t own an ATV or side by side, usually camp in my two man tent or my 15 yr old wall tent. I have an 18 yr old Matthews bow that still shoots great. My rifle set up is less than $750 (don’t believe in long range “hunting”) and probably 12 years old. I have shot several opening day elk in the past 15 years. One day hunts, no return trips. I bet even with creative accounting it would be hard to have a total cost over $200 in some years. Others, probably a bit more. I don’t think I am delusional...

Well license and tag alone are already gonna have you up around $70-75 if you're bowhunting. Add in arrows or a box of ammo and you're easily over $100-150(or are you gonna claim you're reusing those too) Do you have binos and optics, camo, game processing equipment, etc? It all adds up and that doesn't even factor in gas. Maybe you're lucky enough to have access to private ground where you can be successful opening day every year but most people don't and most people use up at least a tank of gas over the course of a season(and usually much more) so I say you're full of it too.

Well license and tag alone are already gonna have you up around $70-75 if you're bowhunting. Add in arrows or a box of ammo and you're easily over $100-150(or are you gonna claim you're reusing those too) Do you have binos and optics, camo, game processing equipment, etc? It all adds up and that doesn't even factor in gas. Maybe you're lucky enough to have access to private ground where you can be successful opening day every year but most people don't and most people use up at least a tank of gas over the course of a season(and usually much more) so I say you're full of it too.
Reloaded over 1000 rounds a few years ago. Generally have the same arrows carry over from the previous year, have to buy a half dozen every other year or so. Many of the items I use for hunting I use the rest of the year so it isn't just as simple to continue to chalk it all up to hunting. Sportsman’s package gives me all the licenses, permits at tags I need, plus some I don’t for just over $120 per year.
I get your point with all the costs involved in hunting. I don’t get into the newest and best crap. I have an old pair of Nikon binos, wear cheap camp, keep costs as low as I can. Some years I bet my out of pocket is less than $200, most years probably not.
My brother in law and my daughter both killed their first elk this November with one trip. $38 for gas. Less than 150 miles round trip. Total of 3 shots fired from my old rifles. One was a youth tag. Other full price resident. Guarantee both those elk were well under $200 each.

You really should eat at the shady nook dude and help stimulate the economy.

Being a little selfish aren't ya?
This has been a blast to read, you have one guy that lives off deer and squirrel meat all year, another guy that basically hunts with food stamps ?

It’s called depreciation over many years of use.
Matt

This has been a blast to read, you have one guy that lives off deer and squirrel meat all year, another guy that basically hunts with food stamps ?
Food stamps? Never used them. Live a very comfortable life in middle class America. Just chiming in to say it doesn't have to cost thousands of dollars to kill an elk. I don’t need all the fancy gadgets and the latest technology, or have the latest fashion to be successful. It is not delusional to say it cost less than $200 to kill an elk, sometimes. Usually it is more and you really can’t justify hunting as a financially sound way of procuring protein.

The thing that always gets me, people count things such as camping gear and binoculars and guns and ammo and vehicles as a cost as though the average hunter wouldn’t own those things anyway because hey I enjoy being outside, camping, looking at animals, going to the range and shooting a few rounds and I have to have something to drive. Count the cost of licenses and tags and fuel and that is about how much an animal actually costs.

Reloaded over 1000 rounds a few years ago. Generally have the same arrows carry over from the previous year, have to buy a half dozen every other year or so. Many of the items I use for hunting I use the rest of the year so it isn't just as simple to continue to chalk it all up to hunting. Sportsman’s package gives me all the licenses, permits at tags I need, plus some I don’t for just over $120 per year.
I get your point with all the costs involved in hunting. I don’t get into the newest and best crap. I have an old pair of Nikon binos, wear cheap camp, keep costs as low as I can. Some years I bet my out of pocket is less than $200, most years probably not.
My brother in law and my daughter both killed their first elk this November with one trip. $38 for gas. Less than 150 miles round trip. Total of 3 shots fired from my old rifles. One was a youth tag. Other full price resident. Guarantee both those elk were well under $200 each.
And how much did you all your reloading equipment cost along with powder, bullets, primers, etc? Half dozen arrows will run you at least $50 which amounts to $25/yr. Even your vehicle alone, which is necessary to hunt unless you're now gonna claim you're walking out your back door and dragging your elk back to the house, factors into the cost equation. Let's say you buy a vehicle for $30K and drive it for 10 yrs until it dies. Daily depreciation alone on that vehicle is nearly $10 and that doesn't include maintenance and insurance. You can try and spin it any way you want but you're exaggerating on your "miserliness" I suspect, trying to make a point. And, even if you're not, you are the exception to a very large rule and I guarantee you 99% of hunters in the Boise metro area(like Duck0Slayer) don't have the luxury of having to travel such a short distance to have hunting where they can tag out on day one year after year.

The thing that always gets me, people count things such as camping gear and binoculars and guns and ammo and vehicles as a cost as though the average hunter wouldn’t own those things anyway because hey I enjoy being outside, camping, looking at animals, going to the range and shooting a few rounds and I have to have something to drive. Count the cost of licenses and tags and fuel and that is about how much an animal actually costs.
Really? You'd own the types of guns and ammo used for hunting even if you didn't hunt? Would you also own your own meat processing equipment to cut up the meat you buy from the store? Would you also own camo just to go camping? How bout a pack for packing out animals? Are you really gonna claim that everything you use for hunting you already own simply because you like to go camping??? You're delusional too.

It’s hilarious how fun it is to mess with these internet bullies, they get so mad they have to bust out words that made them look cool in high school ?????
Matt

It’s hilarious how fun it is to mess with these internet bullies, they get so mad they have to bust out words that made them look cool in high school ?????
Matt
Says the guy who says people are so jealous of him, kinda reminds me of my teenage daughter and her friends, be careful making your tik tok videos, hate for you to pull something ?

C'Mon Man.
Give the guy a break.
He eats coots, weaves his own camo from different color llama fuzz, and is single handedly procreating the State of Idaho.

I respect a man that can come home smelling like Llamas, kiss his wife while she prepares the evening coot, and still get some.

C'Mon Man.
Give the guy a break.
He eats coots, weaves his own camo from different color llama fuzz, and is single handedly procreating the State of Idaho.

I respect a man that can come home smelling like Llamas, kiss his wife while she prepares the evening coot, and still get some.
But it’s not llamas.... lol ?
Matt

And how much did you all your reloading equipment cost along with powder, bullets, primers, etc? Half dozen arrows will run you at least $50 which amounts to $25/yr. Even your vehicle alone, which is necessary to hunt unless you're now gonna claim you're walking out your back door and dragging your elk back to the house, factors into the cost equation. Let's say you buy a vehicle for $30K and drive it for 10 yrs until it dies. Daily depreciation alone on that vehicle is nearly $10 and that doesn't include maintenance and insurance. You can try and spin it any way you want but you're exaggerating on your "miserliness" I suspect, trying to make a point. And, even if you're not, you are the exception to a very large rule and I guarantee you 99% of hunters in the Boise metro area(like Duck0Slayer) don't have the luxury of having to travel such a short distance to have hunting where they can tag out on day one year after year.
Here’s the thing, all those items you mention I already own. Have them in supply. Yes they cost money, but they are paid for and would be there if I went hunting or not. So this fall, in determining how much money I need to hunt, I have to buy a tag,license, put some fuel in my truck, get a few days of food and go. If I kill opening day, I process the meat myself, may need some more freezer bags for burger from Cabelas (100 for $10) and I am done. Less than $200 for that trip out of pocket that would have not been spent otherwise. I see what you are trying to do. Next you are going to bring up opportunity costs and some other lame argument. Daily depreciation for my truck for over ten years....come on man! All I am saying is it can be done, certainly not the norm, especially if one lives in Boise California.

You can spin it any way you want but the bottom line is that although you already own the stuff, you can't hunt without it. So, the reality is, if you didn't own the stuff, you'd have to purchase them in order to hunt and that makes them part of the necessities adding to the cost of hunting. If I took all that stuff away and left you with only your tag/license, a few days of food, and a gas can with gas, could you hunt?? Hell no, and if you're gonna claim you can, you're just being ridiculous.

Matt
The only person who is hilarious is YOU who somehow thinks you're the great white caveman hunter who is better than anyone else and lives off the does his family kills. Might wanna try looking in the mirror--that is if you have one in the cave you live in. Ever heard of the word "hypocrite?" Look it up. You'll see a picture of yourself.

The only person who is hilarious is YOU who somehow thinks you're the great white caveman hunter who is better than anyone else and lives off the does his family kills. Might wanna try looking in the mirror--that is if you have one in the cave you live in. Ever heard of the word "hypocrite?" Look it up. You'll see a picture of yourself.
Looked it up no picture.... lol come on keep at it lol, I can see it now. You all mad sitting at your key board almost drooling ? your so mad lol ? hilarious ?
Matt

You can spin it any way you want but the bottom line is that although you already own the stuff, you can't hunt without it. So, the reality is, if you didn't own the stuff, you'd have to purchase them in order to hunt and that makes them part of the necessities adding to the cost of hunting. If I took all that stuff away and left you with only your tag/license, a few days of food, and a gas can with gas, could you hunt?? Hell no, and if you're gonna claim you can, you're just being ridiculous.
Chicken and egg, do we enjoy the outdoors and shooting and wildlife watching because we are hunters or do we hunt because we enjoy those things? Reality of it is that most of the costs associated with hunting are built into the lifestyles of an outdoorsman. You can choose to count your costs however you want and I’ll add mine up the way I want. I’ve penciled it out and it makes sense for me and my family

Do me a favor then...using legal accounting practices, determine the exact cost of me killing an elk, right down to the 54 grains of powder I use to reload my .308.
I bet you argue with Mickey Mouse about where the happiest place in earth can be found. It is fact that guys spend more on their hunting clothing each year than I spend in total!

Do me a favor then...using legal accounting practices, determine the exact cost of me killing an elk, right down to the 54 grains of powder I use to reload my .308.
I bet you argue with Mickey Mouse about where the happiest place in earth can be found. It is fact that guys spend more on their hunting clothing each year than I spend in total!
Only when Mickey tries to use absurd arguments to somehow prove me wrong. You sound like a Democrat when you do that. I suppose you think there was no voter fraud either?

So, for those guys that don't/didn't understand the issue, here is a video from Gohunt illustrating it. ;)

Boo-frickin-hoo. Get used to it. Oh wait, you probably already are because every other state has similar things in place. Draw a unit with a burn--guess what, you're hosed. OTC unit with a burn--guess what, you're hosed. Tough titties. That's life.

Only when Mickey tries to use absurd arguments to somehow prove me wrong. You sound like a Democrat when you do that. I suppose you think there was no voter fraud either?
Oh now you have done it! Joe and the Hoe are totally illegitimate! Something we can agree on!
So you would fight with Mickey...I knew it. ?

Really? You'd own the types of guns and ammo used for hunting even if you didn't hunt? Would you also own your own meat processing equipment to cut up the meat you buy from the store? Would you also own camo just to go camping? How bout a pack for packing out animals? Are you really gonna claim that everything you use for hunting you already own simply because you like to go camping??? You're delusional too.

I would own the guns, ride horses, have the meat processing equipment because I do my own beef also, would have the camo because generally they are warmer and I use the ice fishing and I spend every weekend in the mountains camping so yes I am only out the tag money O I have a truck to drive to work and a utv for hunting and pleasure riding too not delusional just prepared.

That's all!!???
We better get started.

Residents shoot far to many small deer.
Most of them buy tags for their kids and then shoot the critters for them as well.
Pathetic.

That's all!!???
We better get started.

Residents shoot far to many small deer.
Most of them buy tags for their kids and then shoot the critters for them as well.
Pathetic.
There's probably some truth to this. However, to think that NR's don't contribute to the "small deer" harvest is also naive. I've seen many NR's shoot does and small bucks trying to justify their out-of-state trip and expenses with the attitude that they're not going home empty-handed.

There's probably some truth to this. However, to think that NR's don't contribute to the "small deer" harvest is also naive. I've seen many NR's shoot does and small bucks trying to justify their out-of-state trip and expenses with the attitude that they're not going home empty-handed.
Stats in western Wy would agree with this.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom