NR general deer tags....GONE!

Yeah...we were on the fence......

Now I wish I'd picked one up last week.

With a possibility of not being able to make it with work for me and school/football being up in the air for my son and my daughter is coaching volleyball which is also up in the air.

We almost bet on no school/ sports this year with Covid19. We will see....

Bill

Times have definitely changed. A few years ago a guy could afford waiting until October to get his tag.

It’s shocking really. In 2016 I bought my tag a day or two before the opener. The deer hunting was phenomenal. The economy was doing well. And I don’t think they ever even sold out that year. This year, **** deer hunting, **** economy, worlds falling apart and tags sell out before July???

Getting in before the modest price increase next year? How many who huff and puff about the unfairness of the long over due increases will not buy next year, as they spouted off when the increases were announced?? My guess is not many. Time for Idaho to go to draw only for NR, as every single one of our bordering states have done.

Getting in before the modest price increase next year? How many who huff and puff about the unfairness of the long over due increases will not buy next year, as they spouted off when the increases were announced?? My guess is not many. Time for Idaho to go to draw only for NR, as every single one of our bordering states have done.
What's the difference in how they do it now versus a draw? There is a max number no matter what. My guess will be that there will be A bunch a whiny Idaho residents because they can't get their second tag. They hate out of state hunters, but love to scoop up the extra tags.

What's the difference in how they do it now versus a draw? There is a max number no matter what. My guess will be that there will be A bunch a whiny Idaho residents because they can't get their second tag. They hate out of state hunters, but love to scoop up the extra tags.
They also dont mind scooping up non resident tags in thier surrounding states,, but yet they all ***** about the non residents.
As far as, a, price increase that will not have any affect on tags or numbers just look east at montana highest non resident licence prices in the west but yet it still has more non resident hunters
Then any other state EXCEPT Colorado

Big difference. One can only get a tag in Wyoming as a NR every 3 years. Montana isn’t a guarantee either. Forget about Utah or Nevada. Go to draw only for general NR, charge an application fee that will allow a drop in the total number of tags. It has to be done. When there are areas where the % of NR hunters is greater than the % of residents, that needs to change.I don’t hate NR hunters, I hate the absolute fact that when we have had extreme pressure where we hunt archery elk it is ALWAYS NR.

Don’t get me wrong I’m all for proper Management, but Sadly It’s always about the almighty dollar , NR bring a lot to every state , not just in tag revenue, everything. There’s mom and pap shops that clean house on NR hunters , Gas stations, grocery stores, resteraunts, hotels , bars , sport shops you can’t factor that out , NR pay 10 x what a resident does in most western states , I don’t think the cut in revenue would pencil out , of course there’s things you can alter but your robbing Peter to pay Paul , start detouring people away your hurting others,

Big difference. One can only get a tag in Wyoming as a NR every 3 years. Montana isn’t a guarantee either. Forget about Utah or Nevada. Go to draw only for general NR, charge an application fee that will allow a drop in the total number of tags. It has to be done. When there are areas where the % of NR hunters is greater than the % of residents, that needs to change.I don’t hate NR hunters, I hate the absolute fact that when we have had extreme pressure where we hunt archery elk it is ALWAYS NR.
Draw or not, it won't change anything. There will be X amount of non residents every year.

Draw or not, it won't change anything. There will be X amount of non residents every year.
I think that’s where you are wrong. 30,000 new resident hunters in the last two years. We cannot support tags at the current level for NR and residents. Management will change to application for NR with capped zone tags for all zones with reduced tag numbers. Current trends will dictate this. I may be wrong, but I am not.

I'm sure it will take a few years for it to happen but you're probably right.

I dont like the idea now (being a NR) BUT.... I will love it when I'm a resident.

I think that’s where you are wrong. 30,000 new resident hunters in the last two years. We cannot support tags at the current level for NR and residents. Management will change to application for NR with capped zone tags for all zones with reduced tag numbers. Current trends will dictate this. I may be wrong, but I am not.
you just said resident? You apparently aren't understanding. Yes you are wrong. It changes next year, and yes there are going to be more NR hunters next year because residents were not able to buy any of the tags. Sorry, but I'm not. The change next year will still have "X" amout of tags whether it's draw or first come first serve basis. It will make it to where no resident will be holding one of "our" tags in his pocket on the future. I may be wrong, but I'm not..

This has been an unpredictable year. The stimulus $$ dumbed by the federal government has keep the economy afloat so demand has stayed high. Next years demand will be tied more to the economy than the quality of hunting in Idaho. If the economy falls off a cliff, tags will be easier to get.

People should be careful what the wish for!

Fact, In Idaho Non residents can get the best archery elk tags in the state with out drawing, every year. In all but a very few units that are draw for both Res & Nonres!

Fact Non Residents can archery hunt antelope every year.

Fact Non Residents total 35 to 60 percent of the hunters in the best hunts, that will change to 10% with a draw!

What other state offers nonresidents the opportunities otc that Idaho does for quality animals?

I hate to think about all the opportunities for hunting that have been lost to, more demand from nonresidents, states population growth, better equipment, easier access with 4 wheelers and such since I started hunting!

I have nothing against nonresident hunters, fact is I love hunting out of my home state. The reality is that tags will be restricted more every year in all western states. Sorry to say there's not enough animals to keep up with the demand!

The population of Idaho in1994 was 1.187m . The population in 2019 was 1.78m. A 600k increase in 25 years. Whether we as residents like it or not, a change is going to happen. Next year, NR will probably have a unit percentage cap. This will pacify the residents who complain about too many NR’s in their area for a couple of years. The elephant in the room is the staggering increase in new residents vying for a finite resource. I’m around development and building on a daily basis. The biggest thing I hear from new folks is “I can’t wait to go camping, fishing and hunting here in Idaho” . For those of us that grew up here, the explosion of people in the woods is obvious.

Last edited:
People should be careful what the wish for!

Fact, In Idaho Non residents can get the best archery elk tags in the state with out drawing, every year. In all but a very few units that are draw for both Res & Nonres!

Fact Non Residents can archery hunt antelope every year.

Fact Non Residents total 35 to 60 percent of the hunters in the best hunts, that will change to 10% with a draw!

What other state offers nonresidents the opportunities otc that Idaho does for quality animals?

I hate to think about all the opportunities for hunting that have been lost to, more demand from nonresidents, states population growth, better equipment, easier access with 4 wheelers and such since I started hunting!

I have nothing against nonresident hunters, fact is I love hunting out of my home state. The reality is that tags will be restricted more every year in all western states. Sorry to say there's not enough animals to keep up with the demand!
I'm not wishing for A draw at all, I'm just pointing out that there will always be a certain amount of non residents. But IDbulls has a hard time grasping that concept.

you just said resident? You apparently aren't understanding. Yes you are wrong. It changes next year, and yes there are going to be more NR hunters next year because residents were not able to buy any of the tags. Sorry, but I'm not. The change next year will still have "X" amout of tags whether it's draw or first come first serve basis. It will make it to where no resident will be holding one of "our" tags in his pocket on the future. I may be wrong, but I'm not..

Yes I said resident. 30,000 new Resident hunters to the state of Idaho from move-ins in the last two years. This is going to squeeze NR tag quotas in the future. How can it not? It is a limited resource. Price hike is the first step to quell some of the demand. Capping zones and going to draw is the next steps. It’s coming.

I'm not wishing for A draw at all, I'm just pointing out that there will always be a certain amount of non residents. But IDbulls has a hard time grasping that concept.

Yes, there'll always be a certain amount of tags. But the days of non residents being able to hunt the best every year will end. They are already putting caps on some areas. This is resulting in draws for nonresidents to receive tags in hunts that have been otc. It's the future of hunting like it or not.

Iddogguy hit the nail on the head. There are going to be sweeping changes next year for NR’s. Eventually it will be draws only for residents as well. Unfortunately the growth isn’t going to slow down. We’ll never get that toothpaste back in the tube.

What did I say that differed from Idogguy or customweld said? NR have had a pretty sweet run on the best archery units in the state OTC yet current state growth won’t support that very much longer. We aren’t like Montana where half the elk are on private so it doesn’t matter how many tags are issued. There is a limit to the pressure Idaho herds can take.

Westernhunter, IDFG is proposing cutting NR’s tags and raising their price to offset that cut in NR tags. Last year, there was approximately 1000 NR deer tags sold to residents. There were around 500 NR elk tags sold to residents. This year, it appears there won’t be any.There is most definitely going to be more NR’s this year compared to any other. As Idbulls said times have been good but they are going to take a drastic change next year.

Westernhunter, IDFG is proposing cutting NR’s tags and raising their price to offset that cut in NR tags. Last year, there was approximately 1000 NR deer tags sold to residents. There were around 500 NR elk tags sold to residents. This year, it appears there won’t be any.There is most definitely going to be more NR’s this year compared to any other. As Idbulls said times have been good but they are going to take a drastic change next year.
I know it is, I've talked to them quite a bit. It goes back to my first post. That's the one I was trying to get across. Yes they are getting cut, but explain to me the difference between draw and capped? Besides nothing except how they are distributed. It affects residents no different either way. Just us and how we go about getting tags. The same amount of NR hunters are going to be hunting Idaho whichever way they hand them out. Right IDbull??

I know it is, I've talked to them quite a bit. It goes back to my first post. That's the one I was trying to get across. Yes they are getting cut, but explain to me the difference between draw and capped? Besides nothing except how they are distributed. It affects residents no different either way. Just us and how we go about getting tags. The same amount of NR hunters are going to be hunting Idaho whichever way they hand them out. Right IDbull??
You’re right, there isn’t a difference between capped or draw.The same amount will probably be sold. Depending on how IFG decides to bust up the unit percentages. If all units go with a uniform percentage, some may not sell out. Others will sell out in minutes. If it were up to me, I’d say 100 percent draw. Soak em’ for every dime we can get.

The difference between draw and cap's.

Zones & unlimited controlled hunts were IF&G's way to cheat the systems out of the 10% cap for the nonresident controlled hunts. There greed let the system get totally out of balance. Most of the nonresidents were hunting just a few units. Most of the state has little nonresident pressure. There spill was nonresidents are only getting 10% of the state wide tags, which wasn't true. They most always issued more than 10%.

They should have never sold left over tags as second tags. I think they were lucky too not be sued by residents. If there were enough tags for second tag they had no legal justification for making a resident pay the nonresident fees.

It affects residents in the since that the tag, weren't being spread over the units like they should have. Some of the better units there were more nonresidents than residents.

I guess I don’t see why this confuses you! Just for numbers sake, say Idaho caps nonresident elk tags at 14,000 for the state...only a few zones have caps. The rest you can choose where you hunt, every year. If they put a hard cap per zone at 10% of what historical resident tag sales are, that will be significantly less than 14000 nonresident tags statewide. Given less tags and great demand, they go to a draw, you choose which zone you apply for. Some will have greater demand, others not. Either way, less tags get sold to nonresident hunters, gone are the days of buying a tag over the counter, and gone are the days of everyone having Idaho as a sure bet fall back when they don’t draw any of the more restrictive states around us. The writing is on the wall.

I guess I don’t see why this confuses you! Just for numbers sake, say Idaho caps nonresident elk tags at 14,000 for the state...only a few zones have caps. The rest you can choose where you hunt, every year. If they put a hard cap per zone at 10% of what historical resident tag sales are, that will be significantly less than 14000 nonresident tags statewide. Given less tags and great demand, they go to a draw, you choose which zone you apply for. Some will have greater demand, others not. Either way, less tags get sold to nonresident hunters, gone are the days of buying a tag over the counter, and gone are the days of everyone having Idaho as a sure bet fall back when they don’t draw any of the more restrictive states around us. The writing is on the wall.
I really don't see what confuses you? I get it completely. Let's say unit 39/43 gets 600 NR tags allocated, whether it goes draw or first come first serve basis the end result is 600 non residents are hunting there. Same with elk. So why Are you fighting this draw system? You're obviously hunting an uncapped unit for elk, either way it should change next year for you. But I imagine you'll find something else to complain about with non resident hunters. This is all I was talking about in the beginning. No matter what you'll have less competition next year.

I really don't see what confuses you? I get it completely. Let's say unit 39/43 gets 600 NR tags allocated, whether it goes draw or first come first serve basis the end result is 600 non residents are hunting there. Same with elk. So why Are you fighting this draw system? You're obviously hunting an uncapped unit for elk, either way it should change next year for you. But I imagine you'll find something else to complain about with non resident hunters. This is all I was talking about in the beginning. No matter what you'll have less competition next year.
?‍♂️ The most popular zones for NR elk in the state see more NR than resident tags (Island Park, Leadore, Diamond Creek) this will change with reduced tags. Yes tags all get allocated whether first come OTC or through a draw system. When there is significantly greater demand than there are tags, Idaho will go to draw. It is the fair approach, not to mention a revenue source since all applicants will pay a non refundable application fee. I am all for decreasing tags and going to a draw system statewide for NR. And I have said nothing derogatory about NR hunters. I do feel like they act a little entitled sometimes. Most I see are great.

I am a little surprised that most of the comments about non-res numbers in this thread seem to revolve around competition and a sense of crowding and are not presented
as a critique of improper wildlife management or mismanagement of funds. Are the residents here who are complaining upset because they can’t get tags anymore (doubtful)? Or just because NR can? From what I gather, this is not about residents not being able to hunt as before, just that they want more of it to themselves. Understandable, since most people are inherently selfish to some degree, irrespective of borders. But whether you restrict or cap licences for nonresidents, the writing is still on the wall. More residents every year, more people in the woods, less to go around in general. So much angst and antagonism is constantly thrown around at NRs, who are simply following whatever rules are the law of the land at that time. I don’t see NR on here crying that more general tags should be added, just because quota was reached. Ya snooze ya lose! Maybe some are kicking themselves or scratching their heads how demand has increased so fast, but “thems the breaks”. So gi ahead and advocate to change the rules. But then would the griping stop? Until NR are out of your spot altogether, I doubt it.

By the way, I am looking forward to visiting this fall and I hope to meet some great Idaho people in your beautiful state. I hope my first hunt out there isn’t my last and I am sorry that my plans will offend others though. All this us vs them (more so on other threads than this particular one) does serve to slightly dampen my enthusiasm about the hunting crowd in general. Most of it is just online killing if time, but I am sure there is plenty of real resentment brewing on both sides for how we all sometimes treat or refer to each other on forums.

Last edited:
I have to admit I was shocked to see the early sellout. With the virus and the economy I figured it would be later than last year if at all. I will be interested to see what IDFG does for structural changes for next year. I also think the depression is just getting started and it will have an impact on future tag sales. Part of me wondering if the non resident season even happens this fall with virus numbers spreading across the country like cheatgrass

looks like my wife and I purchased our small ranch property & made our move to Idaho just in time (2018)
Also purchaseing the lifetime licence was, an extremely good move

Montana, is a, draw, only PROBLEM WITH that is its, a, 100% gaureenteed draw for general units, for non residents, we lived there for 9 yrs before purchaseing our small ranch property and. Moveing to Idaho in 2018
Wyoming is, every 3-5yrs for non residents unless you have family that owns land and gets land owner tags (my Inlaws, &. My family live in wyoming ) you can hunt wyoming every year on a, land owner tag

Any one of you NR or resident take a drive to unit 29 and head up the Hayden creek drainage in mid September. You will see camps at every wide spot. 30-40 camps. Nearly every state represented. Good for them, but poor management. It should not be a free for all. I know dozens on residents who don’t hunt there anymore due to the mini-cities that go up every year. To be honest, I would be pissed if I spent the money and time and got to the area to see how over crowded the area has become. That is just one example of many.

Montana, is a, draw, only PROBLEM WITH that is its, a, 100% gaureenteed draw for general units, for non residents, we lived there for 9 yrs before purchaseing our small ranch property and. Moveing to Idaho in 2018
Wyoming is, every 3-5yrs for non residents unless you have family that owns land and gets land owner tags (my Inlaws, &. My family live in wyoming ) you can hunt wyoming every year on a, land owner tag
Montana is not a 100% guarantee. They had more applications the last three years than tags.

Montana actually isn’t guaranteed for what they’d consider OTC either. I put in for a general deer tag this year and didn’t get one. I think it may be close to 50% chances now for a general tag but I could be a little off.

" Getting in before the modest price increase next year? How many who huff and puff about the unfairness of the long over due increases will not buy next year, as they spouted off when the increases were announced?? My guess is not many. Time for Idaho to go to draw only for NR, as every single one of our bordering states have done. "

Except WA. where even a nonresident can buy an over the counter deer tag and hunt general season the day they show up to hunt. Not that anyone wants to....

;)

Haha...yup. I was waiting till friends and family I let know got caught up. Worked out great for me.

Football was postponed for my high school son til Dec.14 if at all and my daughter coaches HS volleyball so it got postponed too. So suddenly we had time we dont usually have and then found the news....

Six of us got set...

Same here.... my buddy got his licence so I felt free to share, Ha Ha! Not trying to greedy, just a brief little tactical advantage. I have learned to be as interested in what people DONT talk about on forums as much as what they do. There’s your second tip of the day!

I hadn't even caught wind of the leftover tags until the day of so apparently I was a step behind. I'll keep my fingers crossed I have better luck with a Colorado leftover lol

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom