NR LE Muzzy Deer Suggestions?

MuskegMan

Thinking hard about burning 16 NR points. Never hunted with a muzzy, but I've been playing around with an Omega and CVA Accura V2 LR for the past coupla years. Should be good to ~ 150 yds.

Looks like I can draw Books, West Desert/Vernon, or Fillmore/Oak Cr. I would be flying from Alaska to either SLC or Denver and renting a large SUV and mostly car-camping on the unit.

What would you recommend and why?

Big caveat, I have not hunted any of the units.

However, based on my research, I would suggest the Vernon or possibly the Books.

The Oak Creek has produced a few really nice deer recently, but low deer numbers means lots of scouting needed to locate a buck worth chasing, which would be tough from so far away.

Five years ago I would've definitely voted for the Books, but most of the internet gurus are claiming it's gone way down hill.

Vernon is a unit with a decent deer herd and good enough genetics to produce a dandy. That's where I'd probably be headed if I had that many points.

May also want to consider the south slope, diamond mountain unit.

I'm with TKJ I spent time in the Books and the Vernon this past year and I would definitely go to the Vernon.The Oakcreek is a good unit with some awesome bucks,but it is some steep mean ass country.

I've never been to the books. I have hunted the Vernon and I spend most of my summer/fall on the oak creek.
Vernon is a great unit for out of staters with no time to scout. It's fairly easy to get pointers on starting points and find deer from there.
With only 1NR tag on oak creeks, I wouldn't count on drawing.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom