NR limits

One less non resident for you whiny residents to deal with. I’m moving on to greener pastures where there are actually deer and elk to hunt. At least I won’t have to worry anymore about my vehicle, with non resident plates, getting vandalized while I’m out hunting.

Interesting. I dont think it will effect sales too much?

Is there info one an see that tells the current number of NR deer hunters hunted a given unit this year or last?

If that was for me thanks. But I was wanting to find the number of NR hunters that hunted in the unit I normally hunt. To see how much of a decrease it is to the new number allowed. I dont see that info in there but will look again.

If that was for me thanks. But I was wanting to find the number of NR hunters that hunted in the unit I normally hunt. To see how much of a decrease it is to the new number allowed. I dont see that info in there but will look again.
I didnt see an actual # of hunters shown for unit or season , they said they were going to go back 5 years & take the total # of NR per unit & divide that total by 10%.. That was going to give them a ball park # to shoot for, All they show is the MAX # they are going to allow for next season per unit ..

The N.R.'s aren't the problem, it's all the people that have moved here in the last 5-years,and our now residents. Putting a cap on N.R.'s will do little to fix the problem of over crowding, F&G needs to look at some major changes that will piss alot of people off!!

I didnt see an actual # of hunters shown for unit or season , they said they were going to go back 5 years & take the total # of NR per unit & divide that total by 10%.. That was going to give them a ball park # to shoot for, All they show is the MAX # they are going to allow for next season per unit ..

Thanks oldhornhunter. That was my understanding as well. It just seemed to me like I saw more NR hunters in the unit I hunted this year than the quota for next year. But the elk season was going too so many may have been elk hunters.

Hopefully this satisfies the residents for a little while until. They realize the overcrowding, low game number second tag issuing & a growing population of IDAHO RESIDENTS are the
Problem not nonresident hunters.
We did this in Montana they did it in wyoming
Utah & Arizona,big game numbers are still falling and below long term. Objectives in those states.
this problem isn't caused by non resident hunters it's caused by kicking the can down the road for the last 20-25 yrs, makeing it somebody else's problem until you hit the point we are at today, we now have to face the issue that was, caused by our lack. Of caring or concern 20+ yes, ago
It's MUCH EASIER to point fingers and blame on everything a d everyone else instead of stepping up and Taking responsibility and acknowledge,
We as, sportsman caused the dilemma. We are faceing

What they did was piss off the non residents. Hate to tell you but your deer/elk herds are still gonna suck.
I’m not sure that is entirely accurate. I don’t think all of our herds are sucking. Idaho’s elk population is doing extremely well, although they have changed their habits and behavior. Idaho also has an incredibly strong whitetail population in the northern tier. Mule deer is whole other story and they are sadly in a steep nose dive. I haven’t hunted a regular season muley since 2012 and probably won’t for a long time. I will however donate my blood sweat and tears rolling up old barb wire fencing, planting bitter brush and feeding in the winter when needed.

The decrease in numbers in unit 39 alone will be dramatic. Yes it will still be the highest hunter numbers in the state but limiting non residents in there will be a big number. Like what I saw on the elk tags too. Hate all you want this is a great move

Good. Now maybe I’ll be able to get my second tag. I’ll even pick a unit for it (y)
And this mentality is why your deer herds suck. Far too many residents with the same mentality, but yet somehow you blame the non residents for killing all “your” deer. Hope you fill your first and second tags without all the non residents to compete with. Utter silliness!!!

And this mentality is why your deer herds suck. Far too many residents with the same mentality, but yet somehow you blame the non residents for killing all “your” deer. Hope you fill your first and second tags without all the non residents to compete with. Utter silliness!!!
The silliness is not realizing it’s the exact same number of tags. Non resident kills that deer or I do.

And I don’t blame anyone for killing deer they have tags for. The benefit of this ruling is hunter numbers by unit. I know it’s real hard math but less hunter per unit makes for better hunting experience, even for the non rez hunter. Think real hard you, may get it

And I don’t blame anyone for killing deer they have tags for. The benefit of this ruling is hunter numbers by unit. I know it’s real hard math but less hunter per unit makes for better hunting experience, even for the non rez hunter. Think real hard you, may get it
Are the units you hunt over ran with non residents? Because this ruling only applies to non residents. Hunter numbers will not change in your unit because the residents will purchase all the leftover second tags and compete with you for the few deer left.

1 guy with 2 tags is still one less guy...

no. Units I hunt are still pretty easy to get away from people. Every few years I’ll hunt 39 though and that place is pretty much 2 for 1 a Washington or California plate to an Idaho plate. This will make a big difference in that unit and probably some pan handle units. I imagine 43 will be nicer too. It really is ok for residents to have regulations that benefit them over a non resident hunter regardless of what state isn’t it? Oh and the 31 elk tag may be worth buying again now too. Gave up on that archery tag a while ago. I killed a bull in there every year but it got pretty old trying to beat Oregon and Washington guys to trail heads

I’m assuming you guys talking about “2nd tags” are referencing resident ability to buy left over non resident tags and not the small pool of second tag draws. Maybe I’m wrong but if so. No residents got leftover tags as seconds this year. Again, tuff math here, but the same amount of tags went out regardless of if residents would have bought them as seconds.

If you guys are really that worked up about that you should be pushing for eliminating non resident tags all together to get that quota number out of the equation

I'm glad they are limiting things by unit and raising prices.
Finally.
It will take a few years but once they see the advantages they will limit the residents too.
I can't wait.
It will get good for about 10 years and then hunting in Idaho will forever implode.

Resident here. I believe lots of residents think we need to take a lot of action to help mule deer herds. That action will be good until or unless it hits home and all of a sudden you, your kids, or grandkids don’t get to hunt every year! Everyone knows draw odds are getting worse and worse. Something had to give and IDFG took the lowest hanging fruit first.

The silliness is not realizing it’s the exact same number of tags. Non resident kills that deer or I do.

True it’s the same number of tags and less hunters but the impact on the herd will be greater IMO. Resident hunters have a higher success rate than NR hunters I would think, plus many of the resident hunters with 2 tags (from what I’ve been told) shoot a “meat buck” then go hunt for a better buck. This will equal more dead bucks.

You can not possibly KNOW the impact of hunter numbers on any unit. Those NR hunters leaving 39 may be replaced by residents like you who rarely hunt it because of all of the NR hunters.

I am always in support of resident hunters having better opportunity in any state, they should. I still think Idaho has some of the best hunting in the west, obviously mule deer are struggling but where are they not.

I will still hunt Idaho. It’s been good to me, even the resident hunters have always treated me well, the only place I’ve seen much hate from the Residents is on here where they Seem somehow threatened by the NR possibly beating them to a critter or trailhead etc.

The locals in the areas I’ve hunted in ID seem to hate the Boise and CdA hunters more then us Kali boys.... you will probably see more of them in your area so..

I'll be back.... for more of this.

20201014_123647.jpg

"Are the units you hunt over ran with non residents? Because this ruling only applies to non residents. Hunter numbers will not change in your unit because the residents will purchase all the leftover second tags and compete with you for the few deer left."
You ask this question and the is definitely in units 28, 37A, 37 and 29 are totally overrun with non-res hunters.
PB

Idaho's resident population is growing, deer habitat is shrinking, wolves are a problem, tough Winters take a toll on the herd & Idaho F&G doesn't seem to want to address the problem. They surely don't want to upset the residents so it's pretty easy to blame the evil Non-resident hunters. What is proposed will not bring the mule deer glory years back. You won't even notice a difference. It's tiring to see everything blamed on out of state hunters around the West. I don't litter & won't let anyone with me litter but have seen more beer cans thrown out by residents all around the West. Most hunters I know try to leave the woods cleaner then they found it but some guys always have to blame someone. Residents picking up the extra leftover tags has always been a stupid rule. With 2 tags to fill another Forkie or worse yet a young 4 point dies. You can't have big bucks if someone kills all the young bucks just to fill a tag!

I looked at the numbers and it will definitely spread things out. I don’t see a second deer tag ever being available in a lot of theses units. It has to change the draw structure for nonresident as well if you want to hunt 23,27, or 39. You will have to get tag December 1st no more waiting to see if you drew a third season Colorado tag! Yes Idaho has had a population boom but there are not 500,000 new hunters here. Look at hunting liscense sales. Yes they have increased where most states are seeing a decline in hunters we have had an increase. I think the sheer numbers of atv and side by sides sold in last 20 years is what creates the look of hunters everywhere. How many hunters are at your glassing spots a mile of the road? This site is so full of amateur biologists and haters they wouldn’t know good hunting if it bit them in the ass! LOL Just go hunt!

"Are the units you hunt over ran with non residents? Because this ruling only applies to non residents. Hunter numbers will not change in your unit because the residents will purchase all the leftover second tags and compete with you for the few deer left."
You ask this question and the is definitely in units 28, 37A, 37 and 29 are totally overrun with non-res hunters.
PB
Maybe everyone needs one of your motivational talks about how you can afford to hunt lots of out of state hunts and if you can’t afford it too bad or something uplifting

“Resident hunters have a higher success rate than NR hunters I would think, plus many of the resident hunters with 2 tags (from what I’ve been told) shoot a “meat buck” then go hunt for a better buck. This will equal more dead bucks.”

Maybe. Last time I had a second tag I didn’t fill it. Could have a dozen times but never did quite find a bucks I wanted to hang it on. I like to get a second tag because I love hunting the late archery season. Also love the rifle season and always find a buck in October that fits the bill. I still think it’s silly how guys rail on the second tag without realizing it’s a zero increase in tags

I guess if there is no change in the number of tags sold, how does that help the deer herd? I think that is what has lost me in this whole conversation. I'm not sure selling less non resident tags will mean more deer though it sounds like it will remove some of the pressure on the hardest hit areas. Just trying to figure out how this is a win deer management.

I guess if there is no change in the number of tags sold, how does that help the deer herd? I think that is what has lost me in this whole conversation. I'm not sure selling less non resident tags will mean more deer though it sounds like it will remove some of the pressure on the hardest hit areas. Just trying to figure out how this is a win deer management.
It’s not really geared towards deer management. This is strictly aimed at human management .

This is just game and fish's way of deflecting the pressure from angry residents and kicking the can down the road.
This move will please the locals for a couple years while they slowly get priced out of their own state by those evil rich newcomers they love to hate.

I’m fine with the changes as a non resident. I do think it’s just going to shift who is pissed off though. Because now rather than a few units close to Idaho’s borders getting hammered you are going to see Washington and Utah plates in places you’ve never seen them.

I’m fine with the changes as a non resident. I do think it’s just going to shift who is pissed off though. Because now rather than a few units close to Idaho’s borders getting hammered you are going to see Washington and Utah plates in places you’ve never seen them.
I agree places like go-hunt are now going to do extensive unit profiles and units that had less than 10% will no doubt see 10% can’t imagine this being all that overwhelming. F&G said over crowding was number one concern and that’s why they addressed it the way they did. The views on this site do not represent the majority of Idaho hunters. Overwhelming they want the opportunity to hunt every year over the opportunity to shoot 180” buck. Not my opinion that’s what the surveys say. The F&G is not trying to build the herds in every unit they manage for objectives. One bad winter doesn’t change there management plan. There was a 15 min window to get 2nd elk tag this year. Any 2nd tags this year will be in less desirable units if any. The seven devils used to be a two deer area. That will never happen again and eventually this 2tag thing will be in the rear view mirror. RIGHT NOW if you are a resident who wants trophy class deer hunting you can start September 15 and hunt until October 31. Six weeks no excuses no control hunt necessary the deer are there and some hunters who are aware of what we have are taking advantage of it now. One tag only needed!

I hate to hear people say Idaho needs an all draw system right now and that such a system is the only way to improve mule deer numbers.

Will that happen at some point in history? Sadly, it probably will. But there are many things we can do to limit pressure on deer herds while maintaining at least Idaho residents' opportunity to hunt every year.

Continuing to reduce antlerless hunts is something most on here seem to agree about.

I fully support requiring residents to pick a zone or unit for deer, just like we do for elk.

With a general season deer tag right now, anyone in southern Idaho can hunt at least 31 days archery, 21 days general rifle, and 20 days late archery. Do I enjoy that opportunity, hell yes. But that's an awful lot of pressure on deer.

Maybe we need to look at changes to season structures. Maybe the traditional October 10 opener for general deer needs to move up to October 1, and the season end October 10, 14, or 20, whatever it may be. I know that if I'm looking for a big buck on an October general tag, I hunt near Halloween when they are more vulnerable.

Maybe we look at antler/point restrictions or minimums (I know some have said a 4-point minimum creates a 3-point prevalence--I'm not a biologist and I don't have the answer).

Maybe the "general" season October hunts need to go to short range. I hunt with my rifle only every few years. I hunt with archery and muzzleloader tackle every year--it's more fun, period.

Stop managing the Weiser basin as a trophy bear area, and reduce the bear numbers.

No second tags for mule deer, and more liberal whitetail seasons south of the Clearwater. I realize the north central guys may not like this suggestion. But I hunt whitetails 4 out of 5 years. They can simply handle more pressure than mule deer.

Again, I'm not a biologist, but I truly think there are many changes we can make to both boost mule deer numbers and buck age class, while maintaining the traditional Idaho opportunity to hunt every year.

That kind of depends on what the majority of residents want in management. If the majority want to be able to continue hunting with friends and family the way they’ve been doing for generations with liberal seasons and they’re fine with a declining resource then that’s what you get. If the majority would rather hunt every couple years and have a better chance at an older age class animal then you manage by restricting resident numbers as well. It’s really a slippery slope that won’t get decided over a forum discussion. One aspect of additional restrictions for residents is it becomes harder and harder to engage new hunters. A state’s management strategy should always be more beneficial for residents because residents are the ones paying the bulk of the bills to run the state.

One huge step in the right direction for deer recovery would be to stop shooting does, period. Maybe allow youth hunters to take a doe their first season to get them into the game but we need to quit shooting does in my opinion.

I certainly don't have the answer to reduce pressure on bucks and I don't want to go to a draw or point system. Maybe weapon specific general hunts? Different dates?

I agree residents should benefit more off everything, I just think leaving it uncapped and still a free for all for them in the general isn’t accomplishing anything , I have no problem picking a unit , I really think everyone should though, how bad do people really want to see the Mule deer come back ? I know I do , but it’s gona be the same story, locals hunt hard for a couple days then blast the next forkin horn they see in the easy to hunt units , that’s why everyone should pick a dang unit and stick to it , idfg isn’t accomplishing ****

I’d make every unit 4 point minimum. Besides maybe a kids first buck shooting two point mule deer should t be happening.

This ruling will be helpful in a lot of areas. I know that there are still a ton of residents but there are some places where non-residents stack up, like bow hunting around Salmon (where more than 1/2 of the vehicles seem to be non-residents) or areas in the panhandle where Washington residents stack up. It’s not a cure all and I agree that more changes are coming but it will make it better for the residents for another year or so and the tags will sell out.

Idaho residents pay a lot more than just license and tag fees that help run the state. As long as NR tags continue to sell out why wouldn’t a state continuing increasing the price. It’s supply and demand.

Non resident pressure is a whole different ball game period. Non residents will spend the entire season hunting on vacation putting up camps staying and hunting. As a whole that does not happen with residents. It doesn’t take long for hunters to zero in on opportunity and Idaho has been great for that. I hunted Idaho for the first time this year and I am happy for the residents that IDFG is taking steps to improve their hunting. From what I experienced they really need to do whatever it takes to get the deer herd back. Right now it’s not even close. Keep demanding better management.

Non resident pressure is a whole different ball game period. Non residents will spend the entire season hunting on vacation putting up camps staying and hunting. As a whole that does not happen with residents. It doesn’t take long for hunters to zero in on opportunity and Idaho has been great for that. I hunted Idaho for the first time this year and I am happy for the residents that IDFG is taking steps to improve their hunting. From what I experienced they really need to do whatever it takes to get the deer herd back. Right now it’s not even close. Keep demanding better management.

More pressure? Maybe. But I guarantee anywhere deer are hunted the resident hunters kill more deer per hunter. They have the advantage, which is great and as it should be. But most of those NR vacation campers aren't killing much.

Idaho does have room for improvement but how could you have possibly seen that in your first year there?

I have zero issues with Resident hunters paying less and having better opportunities for the critters in their state but please don't look at the NR hunter as the problem with the deer herd in Idaho. All that will do is kick the can down the road. Folks will think "this will fix the ptoblem", only to show 5 years from now it didn't. Simply postponing the work necessary to help.

I dont know the answer but anyone killing 2 mule deer in a season is not it. We can kill 2 blacktails in the units I hunt as a resident and when you speak of taking that away to help the suffering herd folks bristle. The same folks that complain about the poor hunting. Their answer is well i usually don't shoot 2 i just kill a meat buck then hunt for a big one etc. They are too blind to see how that hurts the herd. Or they say well if the herd can't handle it the game and fish department wouldn't allow it......wrong, its about money the department.

I love deer meat and for years I shot my first buck and hunted for a bigger one or shot a second on the last weekend, etc. No more.

If you cant see or admit that this is hurting the herd then I guess there is no helping you, no helping the herd.

In my experience of 34 years of hunting mule deer Idaho has very poor management. If the pressure from too many hunters ruins odds for everyone it needs cut back. I have hunted all over the west in those 34 years and know many residents and non residents who have hunted Idaho for thirty plus years. 2 bucks don’t matter. They go under the same number of allowed tags. We changed unlimited units for non residents in my state to limited and I have personally seen the benefits to both residents and non residents who draw. Any state managing properly should offer a good opportunity for a 4 point buck or better. Biologists are far from blind but you can’t make everyone happy so non residents including myself are the obvious starting point to limit for a more enjoyable hunt.

I agree with much of what you’re saying, however the difference in 2 bucks is that if a resident buys a second tag he’s filling one if he can, even if he has to shoot a spike or forkie, sure many NR hunters will do the same, but coming from someone who has done it in my own state both with and without a second tag it is much easier to convince yourself to shoot that meat buck when you have a second tag. I have only found it an easy decision to kill a meat buck on an out of state hunt when one of my kids was doing the shooting.

I also know poor management when I see it and know many who have hunted Idaho and other states for many years, I haven’t and won’t argue that Idaho is managed properly but in my 38 years of hunting mule deer and blacktails I have learned to spot the difference in managing deer and managing hunters. Idaho is managing hunters with this move and not in a manner intended to put less hunters in the field but make resident hunters quit beaching about too many NR hunters in “their spot”.

It may reduce the hunter numbers of some units temporarily but those hunters will just spill into other units, units that are less popular because there are less deer, which in turn will hurt those units Herds even more and possibly beyond repair. As less NR hunters use the better units more resident hunters will use them thus bringing hunter numbers back up in those units IMO because number of NR hunters is likely one of the big reasons they left their spots to begin with.

If there is no real reduction in tag numbers and harvest overall it is not game management.

I agree with much of what you’re saying, however the difference in 2 bucks is that if a resident buys a second tag he’s filling one if he can, even if he has to shoot a spike or forkie, sure many NR hunters will do the same, but coming from someone who has done it in my own state both with and without a second tag it is much easier to convince yourself to shoot that meat buck when you have a second tag. I have only found it an easy decision to kill a meat buck on an out of state hunt when one of my kids was doing the shooting.

I also know poor management when I see it and know many who have hunted Idaho and other states for many years, I haven’t and won’t argue that Idaho is managed properly but in my 38 years of hunting mule deer and blacktails I have learned to spot the difference in managing deer and managing hunters. Idaho is managing hunters with this move and not in a manner intended to put less hunters in the field but make resident hunters quit beaching about too many NR hunters in “their spot”.

It may reduce the hunter numbers of some units temporarily but those hunters will just spill into other units, units that are less popular because there are less deer, which in turn will hurt those units Herds even more and possibly beyond repair. As less NR hunters use the better units more resident hunters will use them thus bringing hunter numbers back up in those units IMO because number of NR hunters is likely one of the big reasons they left their spots to begin with.

If there is no real reduction in tag numbers and harvest overall it is not game management.
Spot on! But hey, the residents will be happy not to see the almighty NR whether they fill their second tag or not. NR are just too intimidating and apparently much better hunters than the residents, otherwise they wouldn’t care.

Over 32,000,000 million acres or 61% of idaho land belongs to the federal government it's not idaho state land which means that lands belongs to all hunters, people ,outdoors people, atvs an much more for idaho to discriminate against nr an to tell them only to hunt one unit with a general tag while residents can hunt any general unit for up to 4 months is not the answer to the most mismanaged deer herd of west states not comin back after 30 plus years remember its federal land

Over 32,000,000 million acres or 61% of idaho land belongs to the federal government it's not idaho state land which means that lands belongs to all hunters, people ,outdoors people, atvs an much more for idaho to discriminate against nr an to tell them only to hunt one unit with a general tag while residents can hunt any general unit for up to 4 months is not the answer to the most mismanaged deer herd of west states not comin back after 30 plus years remember its federal
No one is stopping you from enjoying public land. Idaho wildlife is held in trust for Idahoans, remember that.

No one is stopping you from enjoying public land. Idaho wildlife is held in trust for Idahoans, remember that.
You aren’t wrong. Nor do I want it to change, but I can tell you if the day comes where serious litigation arises to change all that at a national level I promise all the people the west shuts out aren’t going to give one damn about it.

You aren’t wrong. Nor do I want it to change, but I can tell you if the day comes where serious litigation arises to change all that at a national level I promise all the people the west shuts out aren’t going to give one damn about
I believe it’s already been brought to court. USO vs Nevada or Arizona. I don’t remember exactly which one.

Think it was Arizona. And I hope it stays the way it is. but I am fearful that in the future it could get enough attention Congress would consider making changes.
The way things are going scopenstalk, if I woke up in the morning with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn’t be more surprised if it didn’t get brought back up.

Bottom line is the way idfg is taking action is going to have minimal effect on the objective, piss poor management is what it is , I get it , residents need less NR hunters in thier there unit, waa waa waa ?, I can’t blame them I guess , but until idfg get thier residents at bay and really control what’s going on because obviously they obtain 90% of the tags meaning they are 90% of the problem , until you residents see this , your deer herd is going to keep going to sh*t, good luck ?

I think it’s already been pretty plainly agreed upon that this is hunter management not herd management. Don’t know that IDFG said any different either in there release. If any ones crying about it it’s you butt hurt residents of what I’m assuming is one of the coast states

Until idaho figures out how to legally stop. People from moving into the state the overcrowding will continue and only get worse.
Eventually they will have to up residents licence fees, to offset revenue loss from declineing non resident licence sales
It was never quality hunting that made idaho. Popular it was because of the cheap otc tags
Anybody looking to shoot QUALITY bulls/bucks, choose MT, WY or CO

I can’t believe a fish and game agency is taking orders from the general population, and not making changes based sound wildlife management. Most of the guys crying about too many NR’s are the same guys glassing me with their rifle scopes and crippling 2 pts. Weak move.

I give it 3 maybe 4 years before it’s back to general tag free for all for all comers, with a small chance for what’s really needed; all tags via draw.

Year 1: cut NR tags. End of year one F&G sees heavy loss.
Year 2: F&G attempts to increase resident fees to offset the loss. But is met with heavy opposition and doesn’t pass.
Year 3: back to where we are now but into even worse deer hunting. F&G throws hands up and says “we tried”.

Periods of hard times need strong leaders. I don’t see that from this F&G.

I can’t believe a fish and game agency is taking orders from the general population, and not making changes based sound wildlife management. Most of the guys crying about too many NR’s are the same guys glassing me with their rifle scopes and crippling 2 pts. Weak move.

I give it 3 maybe 4 years before it’s back to general tag free for all for all comers, with a small chance for what’s really needed; all tags via draw.

Year 2: F&G attempts to increase resident fees to offset the loss. But is met with heavy opposition and doesn’t pass.
Year 3: back to where we are now but into even worse deer hunting. F&G throws hands up and says “we tried”.

Year 1. NR Tags go on sale Tuesday. Barring a complete financial collapse,they will sale out. Just like they have for the last decade.
Year 2 NR tags will go on sale Dec 1st. Barring a complete financial collapse, they will sale out. Just like they have for the last decade.
Year 3 This will be a new season setting year. NR tags will more than likely go on sale Dec. 1st. If the future occupant of the WH hasn’t run the economy off a cliff, NR tags will sale out . Just like they have for the last decade.

Year 1. NR Tags go on sale Tuesday. Barring a complete financial collapse,they will sale out. Just like they have for the last decade.
Year 2 NR tags will go on sale Dec 1st. Barring a complete financial collapse, they will sale out. Just like they have for the last decade.
Year 3 This will be a new season setting year. NR tags will more than likely go on sale Dec. 1st. If the future occupant of the WH hasn’t run the economy off a cliff, NR tags will sale out . Just like they have for the last decade.
Yup. Just another resident of not Idaho crying about a regulation in a state they spend 5 days a year in.

Idaho isn’t easy deer hunting. It’s deer population is not doing great just like everywhere else. There are lots of other hunters in the field. That being said I have hunted it 3 seasons since 2016 and already tagged a 140 inch 4x5 and a high 170s low 180s type buck (he lost a point in the tumble down the mountain so I don’t know for sure what he scored pre tumble). I’ve hunted utard since I was 17 and still haven’t shot a buck anywhere near that size. 163 is my biggest general season Utah buck. I’m fine with whatever hoop they make me jump through if I can hunt bucks like that on a general tag.

I agree tags will sell out, an obscure whitetail tag in northern Idaho that had less than 10% nonresident participation may take longer. A few units like 11,11a,14,18 that don’t have a mule deer season otc rifle, but can be hunted on regular and whitetail only might take a little longer to sell the few regular tags they are issuing. Those seasons are October 10- November 3 , were as the whitetail only tag gives you October 10- November 20 or December 1. I think it will move some hunters around. Hunting outside of these units like 39 that are popular with nonresidents is good and the guys who apply themselves may just have a better experience. The 50$ increase on deer tag isn’t deterring anyone!

I keep circling back around , I don’t care about being tied to a unit , why not minimize the pressure on every unit and make everyone pick a unit , I need to get off this , It will probably come to that eventually, I think we all want the same result , a bad ass state to hunt with a healthy deer herd , I do believe all the bickering is productive because lots of ideas and perspectives are thrown around , curious to see how it all unfolds

Until idaho figures out how to legally stop. People from moving into the state the overcrowding will continue and only get worse.
Eventually they will have to up residents licence fees, to offset revenue loss from declineing non resident licence sales
It was never quality hunting that made idaho. Popular it was because of the cheap otc tags
Anybody looking to shoot QUALITY bulls/bucks, choose MT, WY or CO
Condoms = Bigger bucks ?

As ex resident of Idaho , I remember being drawn for unit 44 in the late 60’s so it’s nothing new wanting to kill a big buck most of you were still floating in your Dads ball sack when I drew that tag , I’ve killed three bucks of 30” and that wasn’t till 2006 , 2009 and 2014 that’s a long time of dreaming to take a big buck , I ask myself do I really need to kill another big buck ? Just one more ?. Good luck to all you hunters and make the best out of each hunting adventure you get !

And give up hunting elk and deer at same time? Do you only shop at one grocery store? I guess not everyone thinks the system is broke. Not wear orange jumpsuits, having gun in front seat. If you see a deer off highway on your way out. We have it good in idaho!

I agree with the part about taking orders from the general population instead of managing the wildlife. Unfortunately though, it seems like they listen to greedy farmers first, population second, and wildlife mgmt last.
Your theory about the financial decline though has one major flaw. They haven't cut the NR tags. They've only designated them to certain units. Therefore, WHEN they sell out(and they most certainly will) at the new increased price, there will be no heavy losses.
Personally, I think resident tag fees should be a little higher. Might make people think twice about getting a second tag and shooting a spork for the freezer and then a "nice" 3-pt later. It's time for all the resident whiners who claim Idaho is not what it used to be to look in the mirror and realize that you/we are partially responsible when people continue to overharvest when the herd is still struggling to rebound after snowmageddon.

Why do you say the deer herds are struggling? Most people on this site won't acknowledge how high the deer population was in 2016. Biologists spend 100k's of $ to fly the units doing aerial surveys, they collar calves and fawns every year to gauge the survival rate's. Do you expect the deer to be at 2016 level to be strong? If you won't acknowledge how strong they were then what's your benchmark? Wyoming used to have one million mule deer now they have 450,000 . With gas and oil exploration and development that number is never coming back . They are managing what they have and trying to keep the migration corridors open. Antlerless harvest is part of sound wildlife management EVERY state uses it. Who shuts down all hunting after one winter kill? States like Vermont and Nevada saw double digit increases in hunting liscence sales this year. With Covid there were more hunters everywhere, don't expect that to be the new norm. The solution on this site is always take something away or add limits. If you want bigger deer hunt harder , they are there. Limited entry, controlled hunts in most states aren't any better then are otc. Check the boone and croquet book. Give second tag sob story a rest because there weren't any second deer this year. Do better expect less and you won't be disappointed

Antlerless harvest is sound management ? Smh, you must not make it south of Boise if you think Idaho’s deer herd is great

Ya’ll who are whining are weird. WY is general OTC for residents, MT the same..... they limit nonresidents and have higher licenses, am I missing something???? Why are you whining, because Idaho followed suite? Get over it, it will never go back to how it was! Estimated growth this past year is 200,000. Say 10% are hunters, that’s 20k new hunters which = $650k more from residents just on a combo license. So Idaho can handle a few less nonresidents. And I’m sure IDFG crunched the numbers so there funding doesn’t go down! Wishful thinking from many......
Matt

Last edited:
I wonder how many nonresidents there are with Idaho lifetime hunting licenses who pay nonresident tags fees but whose tag comes out of resident tag pool are hunting?

Why do you say the deer herds are struggling? Most people on this site won't acknowledge how high the deer population was in 2016. Biologists spend 100k's of $ to fly the units doing aerial surveys, they collar calves and fawns every year to gauge the survival rate's. Do you expect the deer to be at 2016 level to be strong? If you won't acknowledge how strong they were then what's your benchmark? Wyoming used to have one million mule deer now they have 450,000 . With gas and oil exploration and development that number is never coming back . They are managing what they have and trying to keep the migration corridors open. Antlerless harvest is part of sound wildlife management EVERY state uses it. Who shuts down all hunting after one winter kill? States like Vermont and Nevada saw double digit increases in hunting liscence sales this year. With Covid there were more hunters everywhere, don't expect that to be the new norm. The solution on this site is always take something away or add limits. If you want bigger deer hunt harder , they are there. Limited entry, controlled hunts in most states aren't any better then are otc. Check the boone and croquet book. Give second tag sob story a rest because there weren't any second deer this year. Do better expect less and you won't be disappointed
It's cluelessnes like this that is the real problem. The fact that you don't think the herds are struggling after the heavy winter kill shows your ignorance. Doe harvest may be part of a sound mgmt plan if the numbers are flourishing and above objective with an out-of-kilter buck:doe ratio. But it most certainly is NOT part of a good mgmt plan when the herd took the beating it did in 2016. Deer herds don't recover from an event like that overnight or even in 1 year. It takes years for the populaton to rebound and for the buck:doe ratios to return to healthy status. Jesus, you must be a biologist for IDFG.:rolleyes:

Rebound to what 2016, 2012, 2000 numbers? What’s your baseline? Will we every not be”strugggggling”? We lost fawns it happens! It’s not like half the adult population was wiped out and the fish and game upped the antlerless tag the next year. They adjusted the next two year cycle. “Years to rebound “ how many? It’s been four, what are we waiting for?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom