NR Mule Deer Advice Needed

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
Hello all! With a sheep hunt coming in 2024, I’m hoping to do a high country deer hunt this season to help prepare for next year. I’m also planning on taking my two boys (8 and 10) on their first backpacking trip this summer to wherever I draw for a scouting trip. We live in NC so it’s no small ordeal haha. I’ve done some e-scouting and have it narrowed down to a few units where I can also either get an OTC archery elk tag or draw one very easily. I have 3 pts for both elk and Muley. My priority is the archery Muley tag. Some of the units I’m considering are 44, 65, 68, 75, 53, and 43/47. I’m open to other ideas as well but want a back country type hunt at alpine level. Any advice would be appreciated. I know it’s been a rough winter so I’m a little concerned about 44 and 43 but don’t know if they are south enough to be a safe bet. Thanks guys.

There are very few deer scattered through 43 snd 44 during the early seasons. There is reason why the earlier season dates are easy to draw. The deer generally migrate later in the season with deep snow.

Just keep in mind that once bucks shed their velvet in early sept they become a different animal and often disappear into trees and rough country until the rut.

The learning curve is extreme on high country hunts. You may want to try a backpack trip or 2 to figure things out. Deer are scattered through vast areas so it can be pretty tough.

With that said, the high alpine country is gorgeous and is a great spot to share the experience with friends and family.

There are very few deer scattered through 43 snd 44 during the early seasons. There is reason why the earlier season dates are easy to draw. The deer generally migrate later in the season with deep snow.

Just keep in mind that once bucks shed their velvet in early sept they become a different animal and often disappear into trees and rough country until the rut.

The learning curve is extreme on high country hunts. You may want to try a backpack trip or 2 to figure things out. Deer are scattered through vast areas so it can be pretty tough.

With that said, the high alpine country is gorgeous and is a great spot to share the experience with friends and family.
Thanks for the advice. It’s not my first backpack hunt though. I’ve done it for sheep, elk, and mule deer before.

I know a few guys who have hunted 43 and 44 early. All but one ate their tags, im sure it’s a pretty fun hunt. But I think it can be quite a challenge.

68 isn't really a unit with much alpine country if that's what you're looking for. All of the other ones should fit the bill.

I would say scratching the elk and focusing on mule deer would be a good call, especially if you’re by yourself. I get a kick out of how many guys plan to backpack their way in 5-10 miles solo and plan to kill an elk. Getting in there with your gear and back out with a deer is gonna be a huge feat on its own. Doing it with an elk will certainly equal spoiled meat. I don’t care how many mountain ops you chug or how many peak refuels you eat you can’t get an elk out on your own within 1 day from 5+ miles back.
Focus on your deer hunt, forget about the elk and go enjoy the scenery and have a great hunt. I would also suggest picking a unit with draw tags for archery elk so you don’t have to compete with OTC hunters in there as the alpine country is real easy to blow out if you get too many guys up there.

The high country rifle hunts have really changed over the years. Honestly they down right suck much anymore which is units like 43 (once the most coveted high country tag is so easy to draw now) if it’s more about the experience and spending time in the high country with your boys over the amount of deer you’ll see then take it for what it’s worth. Colorados high country is a constant play ground for the granola crunching, Patagonia wearing crowd and I truthfully (from experience) believe and seen that a lot of deer no longer summer in the high basins- especially mature bucks because of this. You’re going to see more people than deer in 43 I promise you that much. I’d try and find something as far away from a ski town/remote as possible and preferably with a limited number of goat tags.

Yet another example of the Colorado deer herds tanking. I backpacked a big majority of the high country in 43 in the early 2000s, killed my first ram up there. There were some absolute giant bucks back in those days, but I would say Colorado Boy is right, it's not even close to what it once was. That being said, you can bet there's a couple big boys up there still.

Yet another example of the Colorado deer herds tanking. I backpacked a big majority of the high country in 43 in the early 2000s, killed my first ram up there. There were some absolute giant bucks back in those days, but I would say Colorado Boy is right, it's not even close to what it once was. That being said, you can bet there's a couple big boys up there still.
I agree. But they don’t dare stick their nose out in the high basins anymore, they’ve learned over the years. If there’s a 5 plus year old deer in 43 there’s a reason he’s lived to that age and it’s not by living in the high country.

I would say scratching the elk and focusing on mule deer would be a good call, especially if you’re by yourself. I get a kick out of how many guys plan to backpack their way in 5-10 miles solo and plan to kill an elk. Getting in there with your gear and back out with a deer is gonna be a huge feat on its own. Doing it with an elk will certainly equal spoiled meat. I don’t care how many mountain ops you chug or how many peak refuels you eat you can’t get an elk out on your own within 1 day from 5+ miles back.
Focus on your deer hunt, forget about the elk and go enjoy the scenery and have a great hunt. I would also suggest picking a unit with draw tags for archery elk so you don’t have to compete with OTC hunters in there as the alpine country is real easy to blow out if you get too many guys up there.
Trust me, unless I end up with a friend who I trust and is a capable packer, I won’t be doing elk. Elk is secondary to mule deer. I’m not a rookie at packing either so I know what I’m getting into. If I had an elk tag in my pocket, I would be very selective of when and where I tried to shoot one so I knew getting it out before spoiling is doable. I do like the idea of not choosing a unit with OTC archery elk. That’s a good point.

The high country rifle hunts have really changed over the years. Honestly they down right suck much anymore which is units like 43 (once the most coveted high country tag is so easy to draw now) if it’s more about the experience and spending time in the high country with your boys over the amount of deer you’ll see then take it for what it’s worth. Colorados high country is a constant play ground for the granola crunching, Patagonia wearing crowd and I truthfully (from experience) believe and seen that a lot of deer no longer summer in the high basins- especially mature bucks because of this. You’re going to see more people than deer in 43 I promise you that much. I’d try and find something as far away from a ski town/remote as possible and preferably with a limited number of goat tags.
Good point about getting away from “crunchy” towns haha. Hadn’t considered that yet. Will also look at goat tags and see how that helps too.

Also feel like it might be mentioning that I’ve never killed a Muley with a bow so my goal is mature in the 160+ range. As much as I’d love to see or shoot a 180, I’d be happy with any mature deer. I care much more about a higher deer density than strictly quality.

I agree. But they don’t dare stick their nose out in the high basins anymore, they’ve learned over the years. If there’s a 5 plus year old deer in 43 there’s a reason he’s lived to that age and it’s not by living in the high country
How is the deer density in 43? I just want to have multiple opportunities and enjoy the high country.

Deer throughout Western Colo are a fraction of what they were 15+ years ago. The high alpine country back then had relatively few deer. You can only imagine the slim numbers now.

If you are looking for deer numbers you definitely are going to be frustrated on just about any high alpine hunt in Colo. Guys have a hard enough time finding decent bucks during the late rifle hunts when they are rutting and concentrating on the winter ranges!

Deer throughout Western Colo are a fraction of what they were 15+ years ago. The high alpine country back then had relatively few deer. You can only imagine the slim numbers now.

If you are looking for deer numbers you definitely are going to be frustrated on just about any high alpine hunt in Colo. Guys have a hard enough time finding decent bucks during the late rifle hunts when they are rutting and concentrating on the winter ranges!
Considering I’ve hunted areas in NM where I never saw a buck, I have a hard time believing CO will be worse. If I’m seeing a few bucks a day, I’m probably going to be happy. It’s as much about the adventure and testing gear as trying to be successful.

Considering I’ve hunted areas in NM where I never saw a buck, I have a hard time believing CO will be worse. If I’m seeing a few bucks a day, I’m probably going to be happy. It’s as much about the adventure and testing gear as trying to be successful.
You may find yourself in the same boat in Colorado. I know it’s a lot of gloom and doom, but the facts are the deer herd is in real trouble. I’ve personally been apart of hunts In 43,53 and 65. I know guys who have hunted 44 early as well. In my opinion I wouldn’t even consider 53 this year. Just due to the fact that the unit right next to it went draw for archery elk. That means the in flux will probably be in 43,53 and 63. I know 43 used to be an awesome early unit. But I can say the deer herd in 43 is hurting pretty bad. 65 is pretty awesome country but definitely not a high density area. I don’t know enough about 44 to give any help but I know it’s a fairly difficult. Not to say that finding a mature buck is impossible, but it’s going to be tough.

Can someone hurry up and introduce wolves so you guys have something to blame besides your fellow humans?

68 isn't really a unit with much alpine country if that's what you're looking for. All of the other ones should fit the bill.
I agree. I've hunted GMU 68 for 50 years. If I were going to archery hunt that unit, I would focus on Mill Creek or Hat Creek or the western border of 68 near Saguache Creek.

How is the deer density in 43? I just want to have multiple opportunities and enjoy the high country.
Not that great anymore in the high country. Close friend had the high country tag last year… sent him into all my old spots. Couldn’t hardly find a deer. Ended up killing a younger buck that needed two more years the last day because he unfortunately is still stuck in the mindset that if you don’t kill something the hunts a failure.

65 would be a good option. There’s even ATV access into a lot of the Alpine country, if that’s something you’re interested in.
53 is much more difficult to access the high country. I don’t know 43 or 44 at all, really.

Regardless of what everyone says on the internet, there’s still a few bucks running around Colorado. I grew up in NM, so I understand your perspective, and I think you’ll have a great time.

Colorado mule deer hunting is pathetic compared to what it once was even 3-4 years ago. I used to look forward and plan on hunting mule deer every year somewhere in Colorado. With the expectation of coming home with a 180+. Now days, not so much 160+ would be doing pretty well. I'll put in for points until I have the time or interest to go. Really sad what it has become. Even the so called "better" units are a shadow of what was.
That said you should expect to see bucks every single day in most high country south of Glenwood to the New Mexico boarder. Bucks over 3 years old could be an issue, but you will see bucks.
As far as ski towns, and tree huggers. They can be obnoxious, that's not necessarily the worst thing, and I wouldn't let that have much bearing on your decision. The deer get used to the people, even the few better bucks will relax some.
This winter will surely have an impact on the deer herds. As far as how bad, it's too soon to tell, but its likely not going to be good.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom