NR points after becoming a resident

tmbr_hntr

Plan is to move to WY next June so I would be able to put in the resident draw for 2024. Right now I have 14 NR deer points. Probably not going to use them in 2023 because of other hunts with my son. So the question is could I enter the NR resident draw after I am a resident in 2024 and use the points? Or will they just disappear all together? It may seem like a stupid question to some, but using OR as an example(I know it's not the same because there are Res and NR points), a Res and a NR can put in together, but then the Res is in the NR draw pool. If they are just going to go away then I guess I should put in for something in June.

WyomingMark

Residents are prohibited from applying for non-resident licenses...

A person qualified as a Wyoming resident as defined in W.S. § 23-1-102 (a) (ix) and § 23-1-107, is not considered a nonresident for the purposes of applying for or purchasing licenses, permits, tags or preference points.

tmbr_hntr

Residents are prohibited from applying for non-resident licenses...

A person qualified as a Wyoming resident as defined in W.S. § 23-1-102 (a) (ix) and § 23-1-107, is not considered a nonresident for the purposes of applying for or purchasing licenses, permits, tags or preference points.

Thanks! I guess I will have to get off the pot and use them even if I don't end up using the tag.

DoubleDropMuley

Very Active Member
So what I’m thinking is if you move in June and want to hunt in 2024 as a resident you’d be too late to put in for the draws as deadline is May 31. So I would think you could apply as a nonres before May 31 of 2024 and if ya draw you could hunt on that tag? As ya wouldn’t be a res until after the app period? Not positive but I’d just use them in 2023 and leave no points behind

tmbr_hntr

So what I’m thinking is if you move in June and want to hunt in 2024 as a resident you’d be too late to put in for the draws as deadline is May 31. So I would think you could apply as a nonres before May 31 of 2024 and if ya draw you could hunt on that tag? As ya wouldn’t be a res until after the app period? Not positive but I’d just use them in 2023 and leave no points behind
You're right. Just looked. I thought the Res deadline was June 31st for some reason. I will make sure to move sometime in May not June in order to make the deadline. There really is nothing keeping me from moving whenever.

tmbr_hntr

Please leave all your liberal thoughts where you currently live
I'm as anti liberal as they come. But, I do understand the sentiment and agree 100%. Why I'm moving to WY and get along with everyone I have met there. I spend a lot of time there already most every year. Just spent 3 of the last 5 months there and have met many great folks.

BuzzH

Long Time Member
Why not get a good tag and donate it to one of our Wounded Warrior hunts or other disabled hunters orgs ? Maybe even kids hunt for the terminally ill.

Welcome to the state.
I did that with a very good rifle bull elk tag in Arizona in 2012. Young lady received the tag and killed a bull with it, most likely her last elk...never did hear for sure, but it sounded grim.

tmbr_hntr

Why not get a good tag and donate it to one of our Wounded Warrior hunts or other disabled hunters orgs ? Maybe even kids hunt for the terminally ill.

Welcome to the state.

I did not know anything about that. I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Welcome to the state.

How does this work? We close on our home in Cheyenne on 6-1. I’m in the same position as the OP and I’m seriously thinking about donating my 9 elk points.

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
You won’t loose your points right away…it took a few years for my deer points to disappear. However, the were worthless once I had lived there for a year.

Utah400Elk

Very Active Member
That sounds right. I don’t remember exactly. I was able to burn my elk points on a unit 32 cow before I became a resident so deer was just for fun.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Top Bottom