NR points after becoming a resident

tmbr_hntr

Plan is to move to WY next June so I would be able to put in the resident draw for 2024. Right now I have 14 NR deer points. Probably not going to use them in 2023 because of other hunts with my son. So the question is could I enter the NR resident draw after I am a resident in 2024 and use the points? Or will they just disappear all together? It may seem like a stupid question to some, but using OR as an example(I know it's not the same because there are Res and NR points), a Res and a NR can put in together, but then the Res is in the NR draw pool. If they are just going to go away then I guess I should put in for something in June.

Residents are prohibited from applying for non-resident licenses...

A person qualified as a Wyoming resident as defined in W.S. § 23-1-102 (a) (ix) and § 23-1-107, is not considered a nonresident for the purposes of applying for or purchasing licenses, permits, tags or preference points.

Residents are prohibited from applying for non-resident licenses...

A person qualified as a Wyoming resident as defined in W.S. § 23-1-102 (a) (ix) and § 23-1-107, is not considered a nonresident for the purposes of applying for or purchasing licenses, permits, tags or preference points.

Thanks! I guess I will have to get off the pot and use them even if I don't end up using the tag.

So what I’m thinking is if you move in June and want to hunt in 2024 as a resident you’d be too late to put in for the draws as deadline is May 31. So I would think you could apply as a nonres before May 31 of 2024 and if ya draw you could hunt on that tag? As ya wouldn’t be a res until after the app period? Not positive but I’d just use them in 2023 and leave no points behind

So what I’m thinking is if you move in June and want to hunt in 2024 as a resident you’d be too late to put in for the draws as deadline is May 31. So I would think you could apply as a nonres before May 31 of 2024 and if ya draw you could hunt on that tag? As ya wouldn’t be a res until after the app period? Not positive but I’d just use them in 2023 and leave no points behind
You're right. Just looked. I thought the Res deadline was June 31st for some reason. I will make sure to move sometime in May not June in order to make the deadline. There really is nothing keeping me from moving whenever.

Please leave all your liberal thoughts where you currently live
I'm as anti liberal as they come. But, I do understand the sentiment and agree 100%. Why I'm moving to WY and get along with everyone I have met there. I spend a lot of time there already most every year. Just spent 3 of the last 5 months there and have met many great folks.

Why not get a good tag and donate it to one of our Wounded Warrior hunts or other disabled hunters orgs ? Maybe even kids hunt for the terminally ill.

Welcome to the state.
I did that with a very good rifle bull elk tag in Arizona in 2012. Young lady received the tag and killed a bull with it, most likely her last elk...never did hear for sure, but it sounded grim.

Why not get a good tag and donate it to one of our Wounded Warrior hunts or other disabled hunters orgs ? Maybe even kids hunt for the terminally ill.

Welcome to the state.

I did not know anything about that. I will look into it. Thanks for the heads up!

Welcome to the state.

How does this work? We close on our home in Cheyenne on 6-1. I’m in the same position as the OP and I’m seriously thinking about donating my 9 elk points.

You won’t loose your points right away…it took a few years for my deer points to disappear. However, the were worthless once I had lived there for a year.

That sounds right. I don’t remember exactly. I was able to burn my elk points on a unit 32 cow before I became a resident so deer was just for fun.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom