NR should have known...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
...to go to the locals to find out what elk are ethical to hunt and which elk are not. This is a complete joke. As a NR hunter, do you ever ask the locals if there are any animals off limits to the hunting public?

For me, if its in a legal hunting area, there is no animal that is "off limits"... This is one of those 'gateway issues' where animal worshippers get a foot in the door and divide sportsmen.

I love how the one lady said it was supposed to be a 'forever wild area... but she also wants it as a 'safe haven'... LOL they do not go hand in hand

Im surprised they didn’t surround them with a drum circle and peace protest. Telluride is a special kind of place.

I wouldn’t have shot the pet town elk though. This is why they have “no hunting“ buffers down in Bohuntr’s hood.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it.

Re above: the hunts that take place outside of Estes Park are mostly quite difficult and real hunts, unless you're hunting right next to town by someone's yard, which isn't common..

If you have been there, you would understand this was pretty dumb. It’s basically a park, surrounded by houses and businesses, and with people hiking and fishing everywhere.

The ”foot in the door” is the hunter doing something that pretty much everyone for the last few decades knew was dumb. Town didn’t move out to the elk woods, the hunter infringed on town. No worries though, I will wager that the entire area will be off limits by next season.

As the local says, theres plenty of room to hunt where you don’t have to get the fish cops and sheriff to retrieve your “trophy”. This is why we are losing in the court of public opinion.

I did like his shot at Onx too. I’m really starting to get pissed at knuckleheads who tell me “Onx said it was ok”.

And to whether the hunter should have known, I don’t even know how you would hunt the area in question. I suppose you could park in one of the wildlife viewing areas. Or maybe park at the Maverick.:rolleyes:

For me, if its in a legal hunting area, there is no animal that is "off limits"... This is one of those 'gateway issues' where animal worshippers get a foot in the door and divide sportsmen.

I love how the one lady said it was supposed to be a 'forever wild area... but she also wants it as a 'safe haven'... LOL they do not go hand in hand

Last edited:
Thats people should move.
Out into the forest? They already live in town. Some of those houses have been there for over a hunnert years, and way back then the valley floor was a bombed out mine wasteland. It isn’t like they infringed on the elk.

And One More Thing!

Nothing Against KALI Guys!

But a Week ago A Tan Newer Toyota Tacoma Came Through the Basin Here With a Doe Throwed on Top of the Other Tarped Items where They Were Proudly Sportin it for Show!

KALI Plates!

The Doe Had Not Been Skinned!

But They Were Headed West!

Maybe It Was Cool Enough all the Way Back to KALI It Didn't Matter?

He doesn't even live in that state and he carried a gun across state lines. Is that even legal?
For now. That county (San Miguel) is the one that closed it’s borders to non residents last year because of covid. I didn’t pay any attention to where the hunter was from, but t-ride people think I’m from another planet. We have to share our golf course with those pretentious bastages in the spring and fall.

The more I think about this, the dumber I think it was. I wonder if there was an outfitter?

No, BESS...it was not me. But...how many times has any one of us hunted close to private property knowing that animals feed on private and bed on public?? I don't know the hunter so I don't know his reasoning for hunting where he was. Maybe he figured animals would be moving from town to public? Not my style but can't fault a guy for trying to fill his freezer with Gods creation, right?
Maybe T-ride should have Trump come out and build a fence to keep the elk inside?
The hunter was a non-resident so is he responsible for knowing which elk are pets and those that aren't? Or, are some of you saying he should know better to hunt that close to town? Maybe T-ride should try to buy the property that this hunter killed this elk on so that this wouldn't happen. :0

The area in question is a valley floor a half mile wide or so. On one end is a c store and water treatment plant. On the other end is old town and bridal veil falls. On the west side of the valley are the houses in Tride mountain village and the ski resort. On the east side is the real money with the Opra’s and Tom Cruises.

The few hundred acre piece of ground in the middle is reclaimed and restored, and is basically a meadow that is surrounded on all sides by homes and businesses. Great place for the Telluride Blues Festival or that dream trophy hunt. Doh.

It actually worse than I can make it sound. It would have NEVER crossed my mind to shoot something there.

If you are a reasonable person with common sense, you would take one look and shake your head. That’s how I think most of you would react.

And as I said, I wager this area will be formally closed to hunting before next season.

OK Wisz!

Just Making Sure You Ain't In Trouble Again!:D

No, BESS...it was not me. But...how many times has any one of us hunted close to private property knowing that animals feed on private and bed on public?? I don't know the hunter so I don't know his reasoning for hunting where he was. Maybe he figured animals would be moving from town to public? Not my style but can't fault a guy for trying to fill his freezer with Gods creation, right?
Maybe T-ride should have Trump come out and build a fence to keep the elk inside?
The hunter was a non-resident so is he responsible for knowing which elk are pets and those that aren't? Or, are some of you saying he should know better to hunt that close to town? Maybe T-ride should try to buy the property that this hunter killed this elk on so that this wouldn't happen. :0

The area in question is a valley floor a half mile wide or so. On one end is a c store and water treatment plant. On the other end is old town and bridal veil falls. On the west side of the valley are the houses in Tride mountain village and the ski resort. On the east side is the real money with the Opra’s and Tom Cruises.

The few hundred acre piece of ground in the middle is reclaimed and restored, and is basically a meadow that is surrounded on all sides by homes and businesses. Great place for the Telluride Blues Festival or that dream trophy hunt. Doh.

It actually worse than I can make it sound. It would have NEVER crossed my mind to shoot something there.

If you are a reasonable person with common sense, you would take one look and shake your head. That’s how I think most of you would react.

And as I said, I wager this area will be formally closed to hunting before next season.
I wonder why F and Game hasn't closed it then...especially with so much private around...it does sound like the spot I would NOT want to hunt.

I wonder why F and Game hasn't closed it then...especially with so much private around...it does sound like the spot I would NOT want to hunt.
They must not have onx.:ROFLMAO: I can’t figure out how they could shoot and still be 1/4 mile from houses. Creedmoors will probably cause that to be increased to a mile anyway.

Heres a couple screen shots of the area in question. You can clearly see it’s smack in the middle of civilization (the tan area center shot). You can also see a tiny sliver of the Uncompahgre NF.
DE86EDE3-66E9-4550-AC6C-E19EFED5E9AD.png
6A8B0A10-0C20-4BA2-B975-B5CDF77440C7.png

Last edited:
I was deer hunting on Forest Service one year and I had my shotgun with me because quail season was open too. I was looking at my FS map and I saw a dirt road that went downhill to the blacktop road. There was no private property on the map. I decided to take it and then head home. I had gone a few miles and a covey of mountain quail was in the road. I shot the heck out of them and started chasing a cripple. I heard a lady scream at her kids telling them to get in the house. I had no idea there was a house right around the corner. No signs or fences. Nothing. The crippled quail ran into their yard and I let it go.

Hey Eel?

Did You Sneak outa There Without the Lady Seeing You?:D

I was deer hunting on Forest Service one year and I had my shotgun with me because quail season was open too. I was looking at my FS map and I saw a dirt road that went downhill to the blacktop road. There was no private property on the map. I decided to take it and then head home. I had gone a few miles and a covey of mountain quail was in the road. I shot the heck out of them and started chasing a cripple. I heard a lady scream at her kids telling them to get in the house. I had no idea there was a house right around the corner. No signs or fences. Nothing. The crippled quail ran into their yard and I let it go.

Colorado Golf Courses are Always Good Places to Hunt!:D

They must not have onx.:ROFLMAO: I can’t figure out how they could shoot and still be 1/4 mile from houses.

Heres a couple screen shots of the area in question. You can clearly see it’s smack in the middle of civilization (the tan area center shot). You can also see a tiny sliver of the Uncompahgre NF.View attachment 60611View attachment 60612

The elk on the valley floor are not pets, but wild elk that are unafraid of people. It’s a hoot to watch them during the rut being elk. You can get out of your vehicle and have an amazing show watching bulls be bulls. Bugling, raking trees, chasing, fighting one another, being elk. Any fool could kill one of these bulls. But why? Because they couldn’t do it any other way. Go shoot an elk in a zoo.

I Won't Argue With You Gunni!

But Now This Has Been Posted Here on MM!

They'd Best Get Something Done Quick!

Otherwise a Whole Bunch Of TARDS will be there in 2022 For a Real Shoot-Out!

The elk on the valley floor are not pets, but wild elk that are unafraid of people. It’s a hoot to watch them during the rut being elk. You can get out of your vehicle and have an amazing show watching bulls be bulls. Bugling, raking trees, chasing, fighting one another, being elk. Any fool could kill one of these bulls. But why? Because they couldn’t do it any other way. Go shoot an elk in a zoo.

Get a kick out of the gal commentator.. "Forever Wild"...no such thing anymore....except for the crazy humans nowadays..

My question to any locals is how do they plan on controlling the elk population long term? Also, how will they feel in a decade or so when little red riding hood watches in horror as wolves rip apart a few calf elk in that valley?

Telluride wouldn’t care if there were 10,000 elk in the valley. But with our current population management strategies we don’t have to worry about that.

I suspect they would rather watch a wolf tear apart an elk than a hunter.

If you have been there, you would understand this was pretty dumb. It’s basically a park, surrounded by houses and businesses, and with people hiking and fishing everywhere.

The ”foot in the door” is the hunter doing something that pretty much everyone for the last few decades knew was dumb. Town didn’t move out to the elk woods, the hunter infringed on town. No worries though, I will wager that the entire area will be off limits by next season.

As the local says, theres plenty of room to hunt where you don’t have to get the fish cops and sheriff to retrieve your “trophy”. This is why we are losing in the court of public opinion.

I did like his shot at Onx too. I’m really starting to get pissed at knuckleheads who tell me “Onx said it was ok”.

And to whether the hunter should have known, I don’t even know how you would hunt the area in question. I suppose you could park in one of the wildlife viewing areas. Or maybe park at the Maverick.:rolleyes:
Quit injecting common sense, Blue. ;)

The only difference between this incident & the one that led to the passage of 'Samson's Law' in Colorado was 10 yards. I have no doubt in my mind that the guy knew exactly what he was doing, likely according to plan.

Can anyone guess how most of the residents of Telluride will vote the next time a hunting issue shows up on a ballot?

Last edited:
iv experienced this sort of stuff all the time hunting state/blm. people love “their” little slice of “wilderness”

i’m sure there will be a new ordinance for on that chunk of land.

:unsure:following the law unethical

Quit injecting common sense, Blue. ;)

The only difference between this incident & the one that led to the passage of 'Samson's Law' in Colorado was 10 yards. I have no doubt in my mind that the guy knew exactly what he was doing, likely according to plan.

Can anyone guess how most of the residents of Telluride will vote the next time a hunting issue shows up on a ballot?
Can anyone guess how they would vote regardless of this incident?

Most of them aren’t residents, and the residents are pretty apathetic. Except for stuff like this.

Its those pesky local activist politicians like county commissioners that will fix the loophole.

Out into the forest? They already live in town. Some of those houses have been there for over a hunnert years, and way back then the valley floor was a bombed out mine wasteland. It isn’t like they infringed on the elk.
Away from public land. They have nothing to complain about if it was legal.
Reminds me of "Cecil" the Lion.
SOOOO sick of the whining pansies.

Might be the case with the locals, although the optomist in me wants to believe some of them are pretty neutral to hunting issues until some bozo goes off the rails. And of course, the resulting publicity also taints other voters throughout the state.

I’m always amazed by the lengths people will go to exercise their God given right to be stupid.
Someone needs to write a book titled, "How NOT to Win Friends & Influence People." Include anecdotes like this, maybe even a photo to illustrate -- a poster child for stupid is as stupid does, so to speak.

Is that the one with the fence in the background? I vaguely remember that. I was occupied with more important matters at that time of my life.:)

I didn't think he killed it in 'the park'... If he did anything wrong, I'd say it was not dropping the bull in his tracks so he couldn't hightail it back to his 'safe haven' to die...

Also, what type of death would you have preferred for this elk..? Old age? Freezing to death in the snow? Starving in the snow? Hit by a car? Which one is better than being harvested by a hunter.?

Yep it's crazy to see so many "hunters" on this site that are alright that the leaf lickers, bikers, hikers, etc. don't want hunting on public land
You should put in for a tag there next year. You could kill a big bull without having to do any work or any packing or you could hire someone to gut it for you while staying in a resort hotel. You could get a spa treatment after your big kill. A perfect hunt for true hunter.

You should put in for a tag there next year. You could kill a big bull without having to do any work or any packing or you could hire someone to gut it for you while staying in a resort hotel. You could get a spa treatment after your big kill. A perfect hunt for true hunter.
Good advice for the “true hunters” defending this dickhole.

Last edited:
So that’s a no?

All my legal kills require a fish cop and sheriff deputy to retrieve….:rolleyes:
If they did I wouldn't criticise you for it. Might happen to you one day if you hunt boundaries where most big critters like to live in allot areas

This wannabe hunter has seen lots of country closed to hunting because of the bad decisions some true hunters make.

But by God it’s their right.
I never called you a wannabe I don't even know you I'm sure you're a good ethical hunter but what difference does it make if in your opinion a good ethical hunter wouldn't hunt that land anyway and it got shut down?

So your good with the Tellurites telling you what you can and can't do on public land?

i love projecting my opinion on to everyone else….

not everyone’s cup of tea or flavor of mountain dew.

edit: he musta wanted to put meat in the freezer if ya know what i’m saying

Good advice for the “true hunters” defending this dickhole.
So shooting a wild elk on public land makes someone a dickhole? I'm pretty sure all the out of touch Tellurites trying to manage who can use public lands are the dickholes. Maybe you should go help that lady with her plaques for the valley floor.

So your good with the Tellurites telling you what you can and can't do on public land?
Not the point. No one is telling me anything to do. What is the hunting experience killing anything in a park, legal or not. People can get away with all kinds of things, but why do it? If that’s what you want, get after it. It’s legal, do it. We put a whole elk in a pickup one time. It was more work to do it that way, but it was worth it just to be able to know we did it. If you want to kill a big bull, in a park, with no work or effort, put in and get after it. It will make memories and make you proud.

So shooting a wild elk on public land makes someone a dickhole? I'm pretty sure all the out of touch Tellurites trying to manage who can use public lands are the dickholes. Maybe you should go help that lady with her plaques for the valley floor.
Ok, since you want to evade the question I’ll ask it a different way.

Do your “lots of” bow hunters support this brave rifle toting patriot defending hunters rights?

Please get JUST ONE of the “lots of” wedge hunters to come on here to share his opinion.

But that won’t happen will it?:rolleyes:

I have helped on the valley floor. Those ganja heads got knocked outa bed every time we fired this bad boy up.

How bout you Orion, you ever been to these vast public land holdings on the valley floor?:ROFLMAO:
E7F3AD1C-622F-4577-B309-1312E02F3BD6.jpeg

Regardless if you or I would hunt there or not, if you make the decision to live next door to legal hunting grounds and whine about it, you're the problem. Nobody made you live there.
That’s a fair point, but doesn’t necessarily make what the ”hunter” did right. We all got a black eye on this one. That’s a fact.

I never called you a wannabe I don't even know you I'm sure you're a good ethical hunter but what difference does it make if in your opinion a good ethical hunter wouldn't hunt that land anyway and it got shut down?
I am a 13 year old girl in my moms basement. But I’ve actually been to the site of the massacre. That establishes at least some credibility, even if I am a bleeding heart libtard.:rolleyes:

Ok, since you want to evade the question I’ll ask it a different way.

Do your “lots of” bow hunters support this brave rifle toting patriot defending hunters rights?

Please get JUST ONE of the “lots of” wedge hunters to come on here to share his opinion.

But that won’t happen will it?:rolleyes:

I have helped on the valley floor. Those ganja heads got knocked outa bed every time we fired this bad boy up.

How bout you Orion, you ever been to these vast public land holdings on the valley floor?:ROFLMAO:View attachment 60727
I've been there many times I'm born and raised in southwest colorado

Blue hair here is a quote from an outdoor life article where the warden states it gets hunted quite often and usually during archery.

Livingston does make it clear that hunters have taken game from the area before, and that even though the Wedge “is this little sliver of maybe 10 to 20 acres of public land, it’s all multiple-use trails in there. And hunting is part of that multiple-use designation for our Forest Service lands here in Colorado.”

He says that he knows of one hunter who successfully hunted the Wedge during this year’s archery season, but that “because of the nature of it, nobody in town was super aware of it. Mainly because they didn’t see a hunter in blaze orange down in the Valley Floor dressing an animal.”

Are all the elk that ever visit the "Wedge" town elk or could a "wild" elk visit the "wedge" looking for a mate? Is it invite only or would the "wild" elk know that they shouldn't be there? Are there signs for the huntable elk saying that the "Wedge" is for a certain type of elk?
I understand the ethics of hunting the "Wedge". How far must a hunter be from the "Wedge" to be considered an ethical hunter?
As mentioned before, I would not even consider the "Wedge" but I really feel that if it is legal land to hunt on then let the hunter decide whether or not it is the right thing for him/her. If Tellurites have such a huge problem with it...have the area specified as a non-hunting area.

Dumb IMO - quite an accomplishment for a hunter. Dude probably could have hired one of the many photographers shooting bridal or engagement pictures of a lovely young couple in the same meadow that day - to photograph his new prized trophy. I’ve seen that bull & his herd in the wedge a few times. Trying to think of a safe direction one could shoot a rifle in that area and have it still be considered safe? Still thinking

Probably Wouldn't be a Safe Place For 100 Yard StickFlippers Either!

Dumb IMO - quite an accomplishment for a hunter. Dude probably could have hired one of the many photographers shooting bridal or engagement pictures of a lovely young couple in the same meadow that day - to photograph his new prized trophy. I’ve seen that bull & his herd in the wedge a few times. Trying to think of a safe direction one could shoot a rifle in that area and have it still be considered safe? Still thinking

Blue hair here is a quote from an outdoor life article where the warden states it gets hunted quite often and usually during archery.

Livingston does make it clear that hunters have taken game from the area before, and that even though the Wedge “is this little sliver of maybe 10 to 20 acres of public land, it’s all multiple-use trails in there. And hunting is part of that multiple-use designation for our Forest Service lands here in Colorado.”

He says that he knows of one hunter who successfully hunted the Wedge during this year’s archery season, but that “because of the nature of it, nobody in town was super aware of it. Mainly because they didn’t see a hunter in blaze orange down in the Valley Floor dressing an animal.”
Archery only areas are (or were) fairly common down in AZ around Phx and Tucson, and hunted in them many times. As I asked, how do the bowhunters feel about what this guy did?

Being familiar with the area, would you shoot a bull there with a rifle? I’m on record as a strong no.

This thread brings back lots of fond memories of banging away at quail in people’s backyards when I was a youth.(y)

Last edited:
All resort towns are like this. I work in Sun Valley. Public land butting up to towns, the Elk and Deer around town, golf course, and of course the cemetery. I remember an archery hunter wounding a Bull on public it got into a subdivision and died on the lawn of some big fancy house. Another incident last year right next to a subdivision and the nasty letters in the paper. One women wrote that she moved here so she could watch Wolves,Mt. Lions, Elk and Deer frolicking and playing together in her back yard.

Just think of the story this "hunter" can tell his kids and grandkids:

"I hiked high and low for 3 days in the Lizard Head wilderness without seeing an elk track, but on the 4th day, I went to town to get some gas and groceries and spotted my trophy in the city park. Boom!"

Would I want a fine issued to or throw the guy in jail: no. But I would never want to hunt with him. Its not hunters that will ultimately decide where and how we hunt. Its the non-hunters, who outnumber us. Why turn those people against us?

Archery only areas are (or were) fairly common down in AZ around Phx and Tucson, and hunted in them many times. As I asked, how do the bowhunters feel about what this guy did?

Being familiar with the area, would you shoot a bull there with a rifle? I’m on record as a strong no.

This thread brings back lots of fond memories of banging away at quail in people’s backyards when I was a youth.(y)
Sometimes it comes down to...

tinman.jpg

All resort towns are like this. I work in Sun Valley. Public land butting up to towns, the Elk and Deer around town, golf course, and of course the cemetery. I remember an archery hunter wounding a Bull on public it got into a subdivision and died on the lawn of some big fancy house. Another incident last year right next to a subdivision and the nasty letters in the paper. One women wrote that she moved here so she could watch Wolves,Mt. Lions, Elk and Deer frolicking and playing together in her back yard.
Same thing happened with a pronghorn near Prescott Valley in AZ. Died in a school yard, which led to more onerous hunting restrictions for the area.

There was also a case of a guy who killed a 'pet' elk with a rifle in a subdivision. Raised quite a stink. I wrote about it when it happened but can't recall all the details right now.

Fish and Game couldn't even find a way to give a ticket. So that means it's LEGAL... How much clearer do you need it spelled out for you? LEGAL. I don't give a crud about a Liberal granola crunchy skiers feelings. It's LEGAL!
Two questions.

1. Have you been there?

2. Are Colorado landowners required by law to allow hunters to trespass to recover game?

Thanks.

Yep been there and I wouldn't hunt it but someone had the stones to do it.
Without the “liberal granola crunching skiers” granting permission to recover the bull, could your hero public land hunter have legally recovered it?

Sure, it was legal to shoot it. He had to beg permission to recover it. I guess you could call that “stones”.

see post #38. I would have charged his dumb azz a trespass fee, just like I will the next dickhole who wants to play games with MY boundaries.

Without the “liberal granola crunching skiers” granting permission to recover the bull, could your hero public land hunter have legally recovered it?

Sure, it was legal to shoot it. He had to beg permission to recover it. I guess you could call that “stones”.

see post #38. I would have charged his dumb azz a trespass fee, just like I will the next dickhole who wants to play games with MY boundaries.
And if they don't pay you'll let it rot?

Same thing happened in Jackson this year and the crunchy libs threw a fit but hey guess what it was LEGAL.. Get back to me next year when it's shut down and someone does it illegally.. Until then enjoy your granola and latte

I don’t know how many more ways I can explain this.

Back in the good old days, we would have called this guy a “slob hunter”. Everyone knew what it meant, and understood that it was several rungs lower than the lazy roadhunter on the ethics ladder.

I’ve obviously lost touch when the True Hunters defend this guy’s right to be a slob. I wonder why things have gone to hell. :(

And if they don't pay you'll let it rot?
I will donate it to SS’s Hungry Bowhunters charity. But it’s my call, no? We are talking about what’s “legal” aren’t we? Or are we talking about ethics?

Obviously I was pointing out a flaw in the “it was legal, f’m” argument. It was legal because the leaflickers felt sorry for a slob.

That reminds me, Orion you never answered the question of whether you would have taken the shot.

Last edited:
Maybe you never were in touch. Probably just in your own mind. If it's public and open to legal hunting who's to say No. And if they close it now oh well, sounds like it wasn't really open anyways.

We have an exotic animal auction near where I live. You can LEGALLY go buy a Buffalo there and take him home and let him out in your pasture next to a city park and shoot and butcher him.

Doesn’t make it hunting. Doesn’t make it ethical. I would defend his right legally to do that exact thing. But I wouldn’t be defending him as a “hunter”.

And as I stated, your future in hunting depends on what normal / non hunting Americans think about how we hunt. It’s not the liberal granola crowd I am worried about.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom