NR youth hunting

Looking for info/clarification on a few things. My son is turning 8 and I know he’s eligible for big game as long as he has a hunter safety. My question/s are, for a non resident youth are tag costs the same as an adult, there’s nothing I can find in regs to explain that and do the same draw ratio/odds apply to NR youth. I live within a stones throw of NM in Colorado and he would love an opportunity to hunt before the Colorado minimum age of 12. Also if it seems reasonable for him to apply, any advice for an opportunity type hunt for my boy. He’d be more than ecstatic for a chance at a muley or antelope doe. And not gonna lie I’m itching in anticipation to get my boy out there. Thanks in advance for any help.

Youth can apply for youth-only hunts or standard hunts. In many cases the draw odds for youth-only are worse than standard hunts. Perhaps because the youth hunt is actually higher quality or perhaps only because it is assumed to be higher quality. You have to study the odds, research the hunts, etc. to determine which youth hunts make sense.

NM is a somewhat complicated system if you're just getting into it for the first time. Go online to NMDGF and read the hunting rules and info cover to cover and you'll be ahead of most.

A few quick notes:
Due to our quota system (10% tags to guided, 6% to DIY NR) in some cases there may not even be enough tags on a youth hunt for any NR youth tags to be available.

Many species youth game tags are same price, but deer, elk and hunting license is cheaper.

Our cow elk hunts are resident only. And I am not aware of any mule deer doe hunts. Pronghorn doe hunts are available. You might also look north to Wyoming for pronghorn, much, much easier to get a tag there.

Good luck!

tag fees are the same. nm has some of the best youth hunts going. Have taken my son on few from pa.

you can buy landowner cow tags and some not to bad cost wise. I would think he may be able to draw a mulie buck tag for youth or adult non res season in a few good units.

good luck I started my son at 11 in new mexico right as soon as he could get his PA test done.

Agree on the landowner cow tag, for around $800, your boy could shoot his first big game animal. Don't overlook putting in for doe antelope, they are just as fun for a first time out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom