NR youth information

GLEDEASY

My two boys (will be 11 and 12 this year) have completed hunters safety in our state. I'm looking into applying them for big game hunts, which it looks like AZ has youth only opportunities. The youth only elk tags are for cow elk, correct? If drawn, do these provide decent opportunity on public land? Using top rut for the odds they seem to be pretty balanced with success rates and draw odds, other than some have tags in the bonus draw. As a dad I know I would like to see them getting the experience with their own tag in their pocket. Anything else to consider with these or other opportunities?

Feel free to PM me if there is any insight willing to share.

Thanks

Make sure to put a premium rifle full price tag as choice #1 for your NR youth. Free raffle tag essentially. Expensive if drawn as only the cows are reduced price. But well worthwhile.

Then, your cow tag choice as #2. Only need to fill choices 1 and 2 for az.

The boquillas ranch is most of unit 10. The tribe sells cheap access for the youth cow hunts.

None of those youth cow hunts are easy. Check the harvest rates on azgfd.

If you draw a cow tag, then you lose your bonus points, which is fine unless you are trying to build them points for a bull hunt in the future. AZ is great that you only have to buy the $5 hunting license for kids to put them in and get them bonus points. Problem is then they turn 18 and have 8 bonus points then you have to start paying the $160 fee to get them points. I have only put my kids in for bull hunts, so not much help on the antlerless questions.

If you draw a cow tag, then you lose your bonus points, which is fine unless you are trying to build them points for a bull hunt in the future. AZ is great that you only have to buy the $5 hunting license for kids to put them in and get them bonus points. Problem is then they turn 18 and have 8 bonus points then you have to start paying the $160 fee to get them points. I have only put my kids in for bull hunts, so not much help on the antlerless questions.

Yes, make sure you have a long term plan for combined sex "elk points" in AZ. I know that my NR son will keep going with AZ points for life. So, won't bother with cow tag for him and he will have 8 az elk points (+ all species) by 18 that were obtained very cheaply. Whereas, my NR daughter likely won't keep going for life so will make sure to get her a cow tag by 17 and be done.

And with the $5 NR youth hunting licenses and $15 apps, make sure you are applying all species for the long shot stuff.

AZ NR youth is a bargain. I suspect AZ will tighten up their discrimination in this area if they're paying attention to the Wyoming model.

Crampy- This sounds exactly like what we are doing. I ended up taking my daughter on a late rifle bull hunt when she was 21. I knew she was not that interested in continuing building points, so I said lets burn them and go hunt and be done with AZ for you. My boys on the other hand will continue to build points. I think my oldest boy is at 17 points now and is only 25. ( you used to be able to buy points before they were 10). He will be able to go on a good archery elk hunt anytime now. He has now taken over buying his own points, but I still buy my 19 year old points until he graduates college and has a good job, then it will be up to him to buy the points.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom