NV 111-113 Early Rifle Deer

backinthegame

Hello everyone...Utah hunter here, I've got a 111-113 early rifle deer tag in my pocket this fall, and just starting the first stages of research. I've never been on the unit (it was my fifth choice) and I understand it's not a spectacular tag. I'm not expecting to chase around 190" deer, nor do I need to in order to have a good hunt.

If anyone would be willing to share a little info I'd be happy to reciprocate on something here in UT, I know quite a few units here fairly well. A bit time-crunched this year as I also have a CO 3rd season deer tag, I know...poor me. Haha

From my very first indications e-scouting at my computer, the east side of the Schell Creeks seems like a natural place to start?

Good tag to have, its one of my choices every year. The high country are great places to get away from other hunters. They produces good bucks.

Wanted to drop back in here and give an update on the hunt, I know when I'm sleuthing around online trying to find info on a given hunt/unit it seems like lots of posts just like this one don't get updated and I always wish they would!

Had a good hunt in unit 111, decided to spend my time in the High Schells Wilderness. I was able to scout a couple days in September, saw a bunch of bucks with them still being in summer/early fall mode. Nothing spectacular but a couple decent ones. TONS of great looking country up there, just awesome really.

Got out there to the mountain the day before season and spent some time looking around, didn't see a ton of deer, I was expecting it but seemed like the deer had made the transition to being October deer...still high enough on the mountain, but not spending time in the open as much.

I put a ton of miles in over the first couple days of the season, headed back to the trailheads each night because I wasn't sure exactly where I should focus and didn't want to pack my camp in and be tied to an area without any deer in it. One of the challenges of a new unit I suppose. Not a big deal, but made for lots of work. Big, steep mountains. Despite that though, plenty of hunting pressure. Couple horse camps up in there that I saw, couple backpack camps, and lots of day hunters. People get after it these days that's for sure.

About an hour before dark on day two I was able to watch this buck stand up from his bed along with another smaller buck and a handful of does. Decided he was good enough, I was never after the biggest buck on the mountain anyway. I was able to slip down into a good position and made a good shot. I was alone, racing darkness and weather, so didn't end up with many of the standard trophy pics but this one turned out cool. It was a heavy packout but I was able to get him off the mountain in one trip. I'm beat, but always a rewarding experience to research, scout, and hunt a brand new area totally solo and take a buck.

buck mtns.jpg

Thanks guys. He's 25" wide, pic makes him look a bit wider I think. First time hunting deer in NV, hopefully not my last! I'd love to spend some more time in that mountain range. Very cool country!

Wanted to drop back in here and give an update on the hunt, I know when I'm sleuthing around online trying to find info on a given hunt/unit it seems like lots of posts just like this one don't get updated and I always wish they would!

Had a good hunt in unit 111, decided to spend my time in the High Schells Wilderness. I was able to scout a couple days in September, saw a bunch of bucks with them still being in summer/early fall mode. Nothing spectacular but a couple decent ones. TONS of great looking country up there, just awesome really.

Got out there to the mountain the day before season and spent some time looking around, didn't see a ton of deer, I was expecting it but seemed like the deer had made the transition to being October deer...still high enough on the mountain, but not spending time in the open as much.

I put a ton of miles in over the first couple days of the season, headed back to the trailheads each night because I wasn't sure exactly where I should focus and didn't want to pack my camp in and be tied to an area without any deer in it. One of the challenges of a new unit I suppose. Not a big deal, but made for lots of work. Big, steep mountains. Despite that though, plenty of hunting pressure. Couple horse camps up in there that I saw, couple backpack camps, and lots of day hunters. People get after it these days that's for sure.

About an hour before dark on day two I was able to watch this buck stand up from his bed along with another smaller buck and a handful of does. Decided he was good enough, I was never after the biggest buck on the mountain anyway. I was able to slip down into a good position and made a good shot. I was alone, racing darkness and weather, so didn't end up with many of the standard trophy pics but this one turned out cool. It was a heavy packout but I was able to get him off the mountain in one trip. I'm beat, but always a rewarding experience to research, scout, and hunt a brand new area totally solo and take a buck.

View attachment 54549
Looks like Cleve creek?

Thanks for the update and congrats on a great looking.
Beautiful country that unit is where I had my first out of state hunt in 86.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom