NV Antelope 151, 153, 156

GlassMaster

Hey Y'All,

Drew my first NV antelope tag, I'm from South Carolina and this will be my first ever pronghorn hunt. Any insight on how they behave in this area during the month of September will be much appreciated. I'm assuming the focus will be on water, so I appreciate any info beyond that.

Also, if anyone is familiar with this area and could give me an idea of where to focus my efforts, that would be awesome.

Only a few pounds of meat left in the freezer, so I need to fill this one! ?

Thanks Y'all!

Hay fields.

Watch them. Wait for antelope to come off hay field.

Shoot antelope, load in truck and head home.

Hay fields.

Watch them. Wait for antelope to come off hay field.

Shoot antelope, load in truck and head home.

Ha, thanks man! That would be great if it goes down that way. A friend of mine gave me about 15 lbs of antelope meat from his harvest last year and now I'm addicted.

The advantage I have is, it's a ALW tag and it's horns shorter than the ears, so it should really open up my opportunities to fill this tag.

Its a doe tag. There is an option for taking yearling bucks as they will have short horns. Bu be careful there. Just shoot a doe.

Four yearling bucks. Be careful here, as you could end up with a ticket.

20200518_092210.jpg

Last edited:
Four yearling bucks. Be careful here, as you could end up with a ticket.

View attachment 7178

Is this in my unit?

I appreciate this brother, and I double checked the regs when I drew it because "horns shorter than the ears" is a new concept to me and I was wondering if it is yearling bucks only, or if I can take a doe which has no horns.

This is a meat hunt for me, so I'd prefer a mature doe over a yearling buck, for sure!

The last thing I want to do is taint an awesome experience with a very avoidable mistake.

Last edited:
You should study meat care more than your
Hunt strategy. Going to be hot.

You will likely have one down before lunch on opening day.

I've been told to keep it cool, keep it clean and above all else, keep the hair off it, otherwise antelope can get pretty gamey. Does that pretty much cover it lol?

Is this in my unit?

I appreciate this brother, and I double checked the regs when I drew it because "horns shorter than the ears" is a new concept to me and I was wondering if it is yearling bucks only, or if I can take a doe which has no horns.

This is a meat hunt for me, so I'd prefer a mature doe over a yearling buck, for sure!

The last thing I want to do is taint an awesome experience with a very avoidable mistake.

Not in your unit but east of there.

Is this in my unit?

Imo the best antelope are the ones that come off hay fields and are yearling does or young bucks that aren't rutted up.

The difference in meat between a mature doe and a yearling buck or doe is minimal. They only weigh maybe 120lbs?

Here is a mature doe from last year. Eating back straps tonight actually. (My daugbters antelope)

IMG_20190909_063152.jpg

Imo the best antelope are the ones that come off hay fields and are yearling does or young bucks that aren't rutted up.

The difference in meat between a mature doe and a yearling buck or doe is minimal. They only weigh maybe 120lbs?

Here is a mature doe from last year. Eating back straps tonight actually. (My daugbters antelope)

View attachment 7216

That's a great pic man! Can't wait to take my little guy on his first hunt, he's 9 months now, so it wont be much longer.

I appreciate the additional information, this is exactly the kind of intel I'm looking for!

That's a great pic man! Can't wait to take my little guy on his first hunt, he's 9 months now, so it wont be much longer.

I appreciate the additional information, this is exactly the kind of intel I'm looking for!

Take him.on the antelope hunt. My daughter was at a lion tree at 9 months and has seen me kill an antelope plus a couple of her sisters hunts as well.

Funny story about yesterday to with my youngest. She wanted to stay home when I go hunting as of yesterday. Went behind the house and she was wanting me to kill every antelope we saw today. Lol. Now she wants a bag like mine for her binoculars and can't wait for the hunt.

Take him.on the antelope hunt. My daughter was at a lion tree at 9 months and has seen me kill an antelope plus a couple of her sisters hunts as well.

Funny story about yesterday to with my youngest. She wanted to stay home when I go hunting as of yesterday. Went behind the house and she was wanting me to kill every antelope we saw today. Lol. Now she wants a bag like mine for her binoculars and can't wait for the hunt.

That's the plan brother, since it's only a few hours away I plan to take my wife and son with me.

That's too funny man, that's awesome that she wants to get involved!

Should be a breeze. 1. Drive till you see one (or 10). 2. Shoot one.

It really is that simple. Have fun. This should be a zero stress hunt! ?

Should be a breeze. 1. Drive till you see one (or 10). 2. Shoot one.

It really is that simple. Have fun. This should be a zero stress hunt! ?

Thanks Diablo, seems to be the consensus! I'm very thankful for this tag, as we are very low on meat and I have developed some physical limitations over the past two years that make those high impact hunts extremely difficult.

I drew a late season cow elk tag in the West Manti, Central Mtns. area of Utah last year, and that was the most grueling hunt I have ever experienced. 8-10k elevation, steep and extremely variable terrain, and 2-4 feet of snow to boot. That one kicked my a$$ lol!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom