NV Mule Deer Late Archery 101-109

bbright2

Everything this year is planned around an early Oct Antelope hunt for my boys in WY. Thru the application season, I applied for a few home runs either early or late for the family and me. One of the tags I drew is a late archery 101-109 mule deer archery tag. With dates of Nov 10-Nov 20, appears that there is no doubt I should see rutting activity. Most of my western hunts are done by the 2nd week of October at the latest in years past so this is a whole new experience and challenge for a DIY hunter. My buddy doesn't have a tag but will be with me. We usually backpack in to get away from the crowds but that doesn't appear to be an issue this season. Most reports for early seasons suggest hunting 101, 102 and 103 and get off the roads. Or focus on the hills above the private fields to the north.

Anyone have experience with the deer this time of year? Do the deer migrate into the sage flats this time of year or will the hills still be the best place assuming <1'+ of snow up high?

Thanks
Brad

Dates have changed since I hunted it, I hunted Thanksgiving week through first week of Dec.

My hunt was frustrating since I saw 18 bucks over 24" but only got one shot.

The deer were down low on the mountain where it was open. I had to try to sneak through 2-3 herds of does to get to the bucks.

First 5 days I hunted I never saw a mature buck take a single bite of food, they were in full rut.

PM me and I'll share the access points I used.

Hi Hermie
My nephew drew the same early archery tag for this area. We plan on packing in and starting as high as possible with lots of glassing.
There’s some real nice bucks there.
Good luck to you!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom