NW Nebraska public land Muzzleoader Hunt ??s

badlander

I am planning a muzzleloader deer hunt NW Nebraska looking to hunt MD during the first full week of December with 1 other person. We have already purchased the National Grasslands Map for the area and have spent a significant amount of time on the NGPC map server checking out the aerial photos etc and have a pretty good idea of where and how we intend to start, but I have never hunted (or even been in) the area and am looking for a little more specific info:

What is a reasonable expectation on quantity of deer to see (on public land) this time of year?

I would venture to guess that the first week or so of MZ season would probably catch the tail end of the MD rut, or would it already have passed?

I know NE is not generally known for big mule deer bucks and liberal tags/rifle seasons are limiting on public land. Is a 3yo 20? wide 4 point expecting too much? Too little? I am sure that and larger are possible - but is that a once in 10 year opportunity or is it reasonable to think that we would see a handful deer in that class during a week long hunt? We regularly bow hunt national grasslands in ND and have rifle hunted national grasslands in SD that has always been our guide and we've generally been able to find enough animals like that to hunt and keep us happy for a week ? sometimes actually getting close enough to kill them is a different story but?.

I have a wall tent & cylinder stove. I know it is legal, but is it common to see people set up and camping or would I be better off trying to reserve a spot at one of the designated campgrounds Toadstool or similar? Assuming that at some point during the week we'll have dead animals to deal with at camp etc?and just for the overall experience we'd prefer to camp away from a campground but if theft etc? is an issue I'd be willing to reconsider.

We have been concentrating our research on the Oglala Grasslands would we be better off looking at Soldier Creek Wilderness or even the Sandhills area?

Sorry for the novel, I guess I have lots of questions. If anyone here has ever Muzzleloader hunted that area and is willing to share any info it would be greatly appreciated!!!

A freind of mine has hunted NW Nebraska for the last 7 years, he's taken 150 to 160 bucks consistently over the last 3 years. He says the biggest mistake they made the first years was shooting the first decent buck as compared to hunting hard for big bucks. Each year he takes a couple of new guys in the group and each year they take the first mediocre buck, which ends in dissapointment as the other guys bring in larger bucks. My advice is to hunt hard and be selective as there some bruisers in the areas you're planning to hunt, you'll have to hunt hard and cover some ground but it should be a rewarding trip if you are patient. Good luck and shoot straight!

badlander,

That area is my home. I am from Scottsbluff area. I have been hunting MD in that area for a good part of 15 years. I started with the WT on the river when I was younger, but I have moved on to muleys in the past. It is NOT unreasonable to expect a deer larger than 20 whatosever. I have never killed one less than 20 since I started hunting MD. I have hunted or known people that have hunted all parts of Western Nebraska. To include the Plains, Upper Platte, Sandhills and Pine Ridge areas with pretty da#n good results. I don't have any pics that I can send but you'll have to believe me. My mother actually shot a very rare MD WT cross that she has hanging on the wall. Not huge, but totally unique. A good area to look into is the Buffalo Creek WMA. It is close to 4000 acres with about 1300 acres wooded/hilly/bluffs terrain. The time frame you are hunting as well is perfect. You will be after rifle season and there will be a VERY low number of hunters in that area as MZ is not really big in western NE. I hope this helps. Give me a shout if you have any other questions.

Sgt Mike

Aim Center Mass

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom