NW Wyoming 2018 Prospects

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
I have been spending a lot of time out hiking and scouting the backcountry in NW Wyoming. This would be in both the Clarks Fork and Shoshone River drainages. To say that there is an incredible amount of water and snow would be an understatement. I have lived, hiked and hunted in this area for over 20 years. I have never seen anything like it. Every stream and river is still swollen with snow melt and from excessive rainfall. I crossed a stream last week that normally would be 10 inches deep and 6-8ft wide. When I found a place I thought I could cross, it was a real challenge. The water was over my gaiters and really moving.t took a lot of effort to stay upright.

For those of you hanging around the Sunlight Basin, be aware that they are trapping grizzly bears in a lot of different drainages in the Sunlight. I think this will continue for a few more weeks. I have been forced to alter my course and change my plans on three different hikes. The areas where the trapping is taking place are marked but not until you get in a ways. The Game and Fish trapper tells me that they are not having any problems getting the bears into the traps. The stink from the road kill stocked traps is not pleasant. The trapper indicated to me that there is no shortage of bears. He was not talking about black bears.

The ticks were bad until about Mid-June. Now the mosquitoes will carry you away. There is still plenty of snow at 9,000 ft and above especially on the East facing and North facing slopes. I was on the back side of Pat O'Hara the other day and sank up to mid thigh in a few spots. Other than one set of horseshoes, I think I was the first person in there. There are a lot of spots in the Northern Beartooths, Shoshone, Sunlight and Crandall backcountry where the snow may not melt this year. I think it could present a problem for sheep and goat hunters.

There have been a lot of slides in many of the drainages. For the most part, you can maneuver around them. In the Crandall Area, the Squaw Creek Road is closed shut from numerous mud slides. I believe that two cabins have been completely destroyed by the slides. If you are planning to hunt the Squaw Creek area, you may have to access it from a different route. Some other roads that have seasonal closures may not be open until mid July. When I can hit those roads and trails, I would expect some problems.

just sayin...mh

Hello MH, good info!!!Not that I will be up in your world anytime soon haha, just to pick up my sheep mount when it gets done and I shouldn't have to worry about snow or high water getting to it!! Any way hows things going?

I scouted an area south of Jackson a couple weeks ago and had to add 3 miles to my hike in because I didn't have the guts to cross a river that I thought I'd be able to cross. The creeks and rivers were running strong.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I hiked into the Wyoming back country this morning. I ran into another Game and Fish employee that was involved in the grizzly bear trapping. He was pulling the grizzly bear signs at least two weeks early. They were going to trap through July 15th. Because they were able to meet the quota two weeks early they are pulling out. That says a lot about the grizzly bear numbers in this part of NW Wyoming.

just sayin...mh

Mighty Hunter,

I have the archery 51 elk tag. I know lots of bear's is what we keep hearing. Thanks for sharing this info, how are the elk herds fairing since there was such a heavy snowpack this year?

Hey callsalot ,hope you can keep us posted on your hunt this fall.
Beautiful country out there.
Post up some pics, please.
I can't wait to get back there.

I have been seeing some elk in 51-1. For me, the worst problem has been access. The G&F elk refuge in Sunlight is closed because of erosion and mud and such. I tried to move on and cross Little Sunlight on foot and decided I didn't want to take a swim. This lead me to spend the day on Friday in the Upper Sunlight. Sunlight Creek is full and starting to clear. The roads are in tough shape. The road in Squaw Creek may not reopen this year. With all the feed and water, antler growth should be good.

just sayin...mh

RE: NW Wyoming 2018

MH,
MY SON JUSTIN HAS DRAWN A COW ELK TAG FOR AREA 64. JUSTIN, MY BRO STEVE AND MYSELF(LARRY)HAVE DRAWN DEER TAGS FOR REGION F AND ANTELOPE TAGS FOR AREA 83. WE PLAN TO HUNT LAST WEEK OF OCT. AND FIRST WEEK OF NOV. or FIRST TWO WEEKS OF NOV. WE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR MONSTER BUCKS, WOULD HOPE TO MOVE BASECAMP ONLY ONCE IF POSSIBLE. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE AS TO WHERE TO GET AN OPPORTUNITY AT DECENT ANIMALS.
TAKE CARE,
RAMHTR99

What's the latest up in NW Wyoming? Looks pretty wet according to National Weather Service. How do you think the elk and deer are developing?

I was poking around on the WY Outfitters site and see the big game awards for last year were a little lower than average. Do you all think that was a result of the previous year tough winter or maybe the nice weather last fall or both?

I can tell you that most outfitters around Cody do not submit any numbers to the big game awards. Plenty of giant animals killed last year by private hunters and outfitters. The antelope total numbers are down but it still hasn't been that hard to find 80 inch bucks around Cody.

I was hiking in the Sunlight yesterday. The temps were down but the smoke from fires in other states is horrible. Visibility is low which makes serious glassing difficult. Breathing decent air is also a real problem. We had some heavy rain last night but it didn't do anything to the lingering smoke.

I am seeing elk in the areas I hike. Because most of the mule deer are migratory, I do not expect to see many when hiking. I have seen plenty of the spindly horned 2-3 year old bucks that live on private ground around Clark. I am seeing very few whitetails. What I am seeing in the backcountry is an abundance of water and feed. The shrubs and grasses are over my knees. Everything is still very green. I am seeing lots of clover that is still budded up. When the smoke subsides, I can still see snow from my front porch.

My only Wyoming tag will be a general deer tag. I am certainly hoping to see more bucks and bigger bucks than last year. It is my understanding that the G&F is planning future changes to the deer areas I like to hunt. What they have done in the past has accomplished very little. The North Fork of the Shoshone will have a 4 pt minimum requirement this year. Good luck to all.

just sayin...mh

Thanks for the info Mighty hunter, as you know I'll be there for two weeks in mid Sept. Leaving in two weeks. Just have an archery elk tag but if I see any nice bucks I'll mark the area and let you know. I know they can move in a days time but I'll still update you after all it can't hurt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom