NW Wyoming's weather outlook

Millsworks

Anyone know the current snow accumulation in and around the Beartooth Highway near Crandell.
And what are the weather forecasters saying for the upcoming week and weekend of the 12th ?
Appreciate any information.

I believe the Beartooth Highway is closed for the year. Snow accumulation around Crandall and the Sunlight is minimal below 7,500 ft. The accumulated snow was melting rapidly on Wednesday. There might have been a little snow last night. Above that, it is hard to say. Most of that is wilderness anyway. You might look online at the weather forecast for Wapiti and also for Cooke City. The heavy snow from last weekend did not trigger any deer movement. That may be weeks away if at all during the general season in 105 or 106. I did see some resident spikes and fork horns last Sunday on National Forest lands near Elk Creek. There are also a few bucks running around in 105 on BLM and private. Unfortunately, that season won't open until November. There are also a few whitetail bucks around if you know where to look. I believe season on whitetail does is also open on USFS lands in 105 and 106.

just sayin...mh

Best information I can get online for the general area shows not alot of snow accumulation.
Just wanted to make sure there wasn't 2'+ waiting for me.
I see some decently cold nights this week, but a little warmer overall next week.
I wouldn't be able to to get there till the 14-15. So looks like okay hunting and trapping weather by the time I get there.
Thanks for the reply.
I appreciate it sir.

I know a guy that just got a stomper bull in crandall. Looking at the pictures there was about 4 inches of snow. Low lands we keep getting rain. Poor farmers cant get beets out the ground

Sounds like good hunting weather.
Though the tent won't be to warm and inviting at the end of the day. Might have to use some propane heaters a bit more often.
Hopefully the game will be out moving around good.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-08-19 AT 01:26PM (MST)[p]I have learned a couple of things over the years involving mule deer migration. First, that the mule deer may be prompted to migrate out of the high country once their food source has been covered. That being said, the high country food source this year is incredible. It is tall and was still very moist and not dried up at all. Second, the length of the day plays a bigger role in prompting migration. As the days shorten, the deer migrate. This storm is hitting on the 9th and 10th. Third, the deer mule will hold on a food source during a migration providing their are no lions or wolves hanging around that food source to prey on them. If not, they will just keep on moving through.

The upcoming storm is bringing snow and much colder temperatures. Will it be enough to prompt some migration by the mule deer? Who knows. That is why the recent early closures of the deer seasons in this area are so crucial. You can't hunt what isn't there.

just sayin...mh

>6 below zero this morning at
>first light with 10" of
>fresh snow.
>
>mh

Not going to lie.. with a late season bull tag in my pocket for up there, these weather reports are great news to me! Haha. Heading up there this weekend to pack in and ride around and check stuff out before the November opener. But this snow has me looking forward to my hunt more and more

I have an elderly friend and his wife who are already on their way there to stay at one of the small cabins at the Beartooth lodge.
Me and two other friends are going to pitch a tent near their cabin.

Be careful out there.

105579c1bcc118a7d49eb937ef9f1093633b6.jpeg

>Hey, Mtnguide
>What elk unit are you hunting?
>
>Is it a 51 type-2?
>That is the area I am
>hunting.

No. Im further south than that

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom