O.I.L Moose Advise Needed

TheOneRidgeRunner

Alright, I need some advice. Drew the random moose tag for South Slope, Diamond Mountain/Vernal.
Being OIL its not like you plan it out years prior, the truth is you may never draw a tag. So I'm left with 3 months to make it count.
After looking at success rates and average days in the field, it looks like most animals are killed within 8 days of hunting.
I'm able to take the entire hunt off, but is it necessary? I'm leaning towards taking it all off and returning when done with either a kill or the end of the hunt.
What time frame would you focus on if only taking some time off?
Any pointers size of bulls off the unit, ts one bit of info I can't seem to find.
Any advice would by very welcomed

The Moose On The South Slope Have been Suffering For several Years Now!

Rarely See A Bull Anymore With Any Age To Them!

There Are Exceptions Though!

Best Of Luck!

Wondering how many points you had for this tag? I used to see bulls in several different area’s every year on both public and private. I’ve applied for this tag several times, I’ve help on elk and deer hunts every year for over fifteen years, and haven’t seen a good bull for several years. Private land can be an issue if you don’t have access. There are still moose in the unit, and there are areas I’m not knowledgeable about. Good luck to you, I’m jealous , it’s a neat area to hunt. Report how your hunt goes, curious minds want to know. BacDoc?

Wondering how many points you had for this tag? I used to see bulls in several different area’s every year on both public and private. I’ve applied for this tag several times, I’ve help on elk and deer hunts every year for over fifteen years, and haven’t seen a good bull for several years. Private land can be an issue if you don’t have access. There are still moose in the unit, and there are areas I’m not knowledgeable about. Good luck to you, I’m jealous , it’s a neat area to hunt. Report how your hunt goes, curious minds want to know. BacDoc?
I had 10 points going into the draw. The bigest bull moose and largest moose sheds I've ever picked up came off the unit. But that was ~20 years ago.

If you can, take weekends to get to know the unit and scout, then use your work leave to be there your whole hunt. 8 days is not a huge window and trying to time it for the "best days" likely wouldn't work out all that well... Good luck, and let us know how it goes.!!

I had 10 points going into the draw. The bigest bull moose and largest moose sheds I've ever picked up came off the unit. But that was ~20 years ago.
This isn’t utah 2008 anymore. Moose quality isn’t even close to what it once was. Probably won’t ever be that good again. What you experienced 20 years ago, I wouldn’t base your expectations around.

It’s a OIL hunt. If you don’t put everything you have into this hunt, you’ll likely spend a life time wishing you could have a do over on it. I didn’t spend as much time on a LE elk tag as I should have in preparation or hunting on one of my tags. I killed a small bull the last day. Immediately I started regretting not putting in the time I should have. Even after I got a redemption tag immediately off my wait period and killing a great bull, I still wish I would have taken that first hunt a little more seriously. Don’t skimp on this tag. Take the time you need and have fun with it. Unless you spend a lot of money in the future, there won’t be another tag in the state issued with your name on it. Make the most of it.

If it was my tag, I would want to plan for as much time as possible and end early if successful but avoid getting put into a desperate last minute situation. That said, I have never drawn a moose tag. And on any tag I do in the future, any decent moose will do. I hunt for meat and fun, and if its early in the hunt and I take a smaller bull than “what might have been” so be it. There are no guarantees in life and I have learned that a bird in the hand is sometimes the only bird you get.

TAKE YOUR TIME AND SPEND A COUPLE OF WEEKS..... CALL OFTEN TO TRY AND LOCATE A BULL..... MOOSE HUNTING TAKES LONGER BECAUSE OF THE COVER AND YOU WANT TO TAKE A DECENT BULL........HAVE FUN, TAKE YOUR TIME, ENJOY THE MOUNTAINS, IF POSSIBLE FISH A LITTLE. EVENTUALLY YOU'LL FIND YOUR MOOSE AND BUILD MEMORIES OF A LIFETIME.

Start now with scouting the areas you plan to hunt. The more bulls you can look at now the better idea you will have of the quality of bull you will shoot. I would take the week before the opener and start looking. Talk to all the other hunters in the area. Do not panic and rush it. Have fun. The best tasting game imo.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom