O r Oryx hunt

7mms

Happy New Year mnm ers.writing in on how my Oryx hunt went.I didn't get to go out as much as I had planned on due to unforseen circumstances. But here goes.Had one day to hunt from Fiteranch to Carrizozo no sightings.Then I moved south by TorC . Hunted 2 days, drove miles of roads n saw one oryx,that one on private ground that was it .Wish I would have had more days to hunt but it was a good learning experience. One thing is,b fore my hunt there was a hunt,n another b fore that one n so on n so forth,so hard to say when ur supposed to scout really.This year will only apply on missile range.all in all not a bad year one out of two tags filled,meat in freezer.Hope everybody had a good year hunting tags filled or not, it's about memories first n horns next.Wish u all luck in 19 starting with apps

Thanks for filing us in. That's to bad that you weren't able to dedicate more time to it. Hopefully you will get another shot at it someday.

Just curious, how long did you apply before drawing a tag? Is it a totally random draw? Or is it a points game?

Like I said above, an oryx hunt is on my bucket list, but I've done very little research recently. Yes, I'm admitting it! Just trying to find out what I can!

Thanks!

Totally a random draw, no points. Two types of hunts, off range ("toughest") and on range.

Of the on range, there are two types for that; OIL and broken horn. The broken horn are not once-in-a-liftime and you can go as many times as you can draw.

Then there are the private land hunts and those tags are OTC, but you have to get with a landowner first for permission, or booking with an outfitter who guides on private, and those tags are for private only.

The off range hunts are no cakewalk, although one year I got lucky and shot one the first day. Last time I drew was about 5 years ago and I finally got one on the 9th day of hunting, I think I put 2500 miles on my truck.

Either one of these, off range or on range, is on the top two of my bucket list. I try and try for one but never draw. Maybe this year.

I hear u CP keep applying u never know ur luck could change this year.Idrew on my first try even if it was an of range hunt ,got my feet wet so to speak, will keep trying for oil on range tags or broken horn tag.Time is near not to early to start research,good luck to you n all in 19 draws

It's a tough draw for sure. I believe it took me 9 years to draw my OIL
Hunt. My wife got her tag after 5 years. Know a guy that's going on 20 years with no luck. Then their are some lucky folks like my sister and brother in law who drew it on their 1st try.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom