Oak Creek vs Newfoundland Mtns Sheep

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
Looking for input from guys that have experience with both the Oak Creek and Newfoundland Mtns California bighorn sheep herds. If you had the points to draw either tag, which would you choose and why?

I would like to try and kill one with my bow, so looking for best opportunities at mature rams. Most likely looking at the earlier dates on both units but want to maximize my opportunity.

PMs are fine if you prefer.

Oak creek had a lot of tags this year put out. Still mature rams but you’re going to be looking at rams barely pushing 150. It’s about the same for new foundland from what I’ve seen and heard. Oak creek taking one with a bow is definitely doable. How many points do you have?

Knock if off elkhunterUT, I've been trying for an archery tag the last couple years and I don't need the competition! LOL

Good luck to us both!

Zeke

Oak creek had a lot of tags this year put out. Still mature rams but you’re going to be looking at rams barely pushing 150. It’s about the same for new foundland from what I’ve seen and heard. Oak creek taking one with a bow is definitely doable. How many points do you have?
That is my concern with Oak Creek and had me wondering if maybe I would have a better chance at a larger ram on the Newfies. I think odds of killing one with a bow on either unit is pretty good, but I would like to hunt where the rams are a bit more mature.

I have 20 points this year.

Knock if off elkhunterUT, I've been trying for an archery tag the last couple years and I don't need the competition! LOL

Good luck to us both!

Zeke
Ha Ha - sorry about that Zeke. If you are actually putting in for the archery tag though, you won't have competition from me. I am looking at the earlier any weapon dates, but want to hunt with my bow.

What unit are you leaning towards? If you don't want to say here, you can PM me. Thanks!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom