OAK CREEK

Talk about a prideful, self absorbed assessment. You should do whatever is good for you, and stop your judgement of others.

Ever consider that everyone might not live in close proximity?
How about doesn’t have a Posse at their disposal all the time?
How about they have a demanding business or career, or family, and they don’t have the ample amount of time to scout?

Take a look around, and a little past the end of your own nose.
I see what you are saying, but your questions do not hold water.
I had a high demanding job. 60 hour a week was the norm and 2 1/2 to 3 months were around the clock. Family, remodeling my house, etc.. use to live off 3 to 4 hours sheep. Most my out of state hunts were 12 to 20 plus hours away. With 5 weeks vacation I would use 2 weeks of vacation for 2 out of state hunts DIY hunts. Sometimes use a family vacation week to scout. Most hunts were solo, or with a friend. No posses needed. It takes a lot of planning, research, good gear, determination and hard work.
Some hunts were work 12 hours, leave work and drive straight to my hunt area. Hunt the rest of the day till dark and hike out. Make camp, sleep a few hours and get up in time to hike in the dark to get to where I wanted to be. Had some very successful hunts and learned something new every hunt.

I see what you are saying, but your questions do not hold water.
I had a high demanding job. 60 hour a week was the norm and 2 1/2 to 3 months were around the clock. Family, remodeling my house, etc.. use to live off 3 to 4 hours sheep. Most my out of state hunts were 12 to 20 plus hours away. With 5 weeks vacation I would use 2 weeks of vacation for 2 out of state hunts DIY hunts. Sometimes use a family vacation week to scout. Most hunts were solo, or with a friend. No posses needed. It takes a lot of planning, research, good gear, determination and hard work.
Some hunts were work 12 hours, leave work and drive straight to my hunt area. Hunt the rest of the day till dark and hike out. Make camp, sleep a few hours and get up in time to hike in the dark to get to where I wanted to be. Had some very successful hunts and learned something new every hunt.
Your situation, and your choices, and I hope those hunts were as fulfilling as they could be for you. If you knew me, you would know that, that statement is absolute fact.

What I’m sick of is the chest pounding, I’m so great, I would never stoop so low as to get some help…. Even if it’s a once in 2 lifetime tag. Judgement, cancel culture, garbage.

I would venture to bet, everyone that talks that high and mighty has hunted on a friends property, or in a buddies home unit, where they teed it up for their friend…. Almost all of us have, if we’re lucky enough to have a few close friends. Even though you’re not writing a check, that EXACTLY what hiring a guide is.

That’s the last I’ll say about it. I sure wish I could be hiring a guide because I drew the OC tag

Amen.
I’m at a place in life where a guide is unnecessary. However, not to say I wouldn’t call on a guide in the twilight years of my hunting career…depends on health, financials, goals, etc. Let folks hunt how they will…just do it legally.

Amen.
I’m at a place in life where a guide is unnecessary. However, not to say I wouldn’t call on a guide in the twilight years of my hunting career…depends on health, financials, goals, etc. Let folks hunt how they will…just do it legally.
Agreed. I won’t use a guide unless it’s mandated. I go hunting for the full meal deal, the planning, the week or two camping, the chores it all entails, the adventure and the hunt itself. I’m at the age where I no longer HAVE TO kill something. Do it if it’s legal and have fun.

Yes sir, that was my point.
Sorry, Bigfoot, I thought you were agreeing with El Gringo.

I am just in the camp that it is much more satisfying to DIY and harvest a smaller animal (or harvest one at all) that to have someone do all the work except for the killing. That said, I’ve used outfitters myself. But my point is that the outfitter did the hunting, I just did the shooting.

But to each there own. Also, just because you hire a guide doesn’t mean you get to go to the best spot where they have seen the biggest racks. That often gets saved for a repeat client who has tipped big in the past or a new client that promises an extra “trophy fee”. I’ve heard as much from more than one guide, so just cause they seen a 200 incher doesn’t mean you will. ?

Sorry, Bigfoot, I thought you were agreeing with El Gringo.

I am just in the camp that it is much more satisfying to DIY and harvest a smaller animal (or harvest one at all) that to have someone do all the work except for the killing. That said, I’ve used outfitters myself. But my point is that the outfitter did the hunting, I just did the shooting.

But to each there own. Also, just because you hire a guide doesn’t mean you get to go to the best spot where they have seen the biggest racks. That often gets saved for a repeat client who has tipped big in the past or a new client that promises an extra “trophy fee”. I’ve heard as much from more than one guide, so just cause they seen a 200 incher doesn’t mean you will. ?
You said it best “to each their own”. I enjoy the hunt too much to have somebody tag along. Hell, I feel like I make too much noise in the woods as it is, I don’t want another person with me amplifying things. I get why people use guides, it’s just not for me. Good luck this year!

You said it best “to each their own”. I enjoy the hunt too much to have somebody tag along. Hell, I feel like I make too much noise in the woods as it is, I don’t want another person with me amplifying things. I get why people use guides, it’s just not for me. Good luck this year!
Good luck to you as well! New Mexico mule deer tag so far for me. Hope the rest of the draws go well for you.

That reminds me, can someone send me geo coordinates for all your hotspots? Not asking for your secret spots, just maybe where you have seen 180+ deer recently. Wide beam preferred, rather have width than height. I am not planning on stepping onto the unit until the 3rd day of the season. In and out in 2 days, baby!

Good luck to you as well! New Mexico mule deer tag so far for me. Hope the rest of the draws go well for you.

That reminds me, can someone send me geo coordinates for all your hotspots? Not asking for your secret spots, just maybe where you have seen 180+ deer recently. Wide beam preferred, rather have width than height. I am not planning on stepping onto the unit until the 3rd day of the season. In and out in 2 days, baby!
I drew deer in 37, elk in 52. Where are you hunting deer?

Dang, watched that Newberg clip. Awesome. I had the LE early bull tag in 2010 and scouted it a bunch that summer, Dang! I saw some NICE bucks. But not many elk. In fact several people told me to turn my tag in. There was only one NR tag and I drew it with 2 points in the random so I hunted it. Lot of fun watching those Batchelor groups that summer.

Congrats on the tag! Bottom line if you really love a unit stay in it for the long haul and you’ll never catch max points. I drew a top end elk unit this year I looked at odds last year there were 26ish more applicants for muzzy than archery which is what I was putting in for. I said 26 guys isn’t squat at half way there for much better dates and never catching max points. And I was counting on a random tag with either archery or muzzy. Well I drew with 12 pts. If you just want to go hunting those midrange and easy to draw tags can be good to and you’ll eventually get lucky. I figured I’d draw between now and 5 years. I probably drew on the worst year for fuel prices, but I can dream about doing it and die dreaming about it or make the most of it.

Yes and look what it’s done to point creep!
25 nonresident points wasn’t enough this year.
What am I missing? Wasn’t 24 points enough points to draw???

2BD8DD5B-87F5-4F32-BEC0-4F8212DDB8EA.jpeg

What am I missing? Wasn’t 24 points enough points to draw???

View attachment 92964
Yes you’re correct 25 points was enough for the alw tag. I applied for Muzzleloader.
Sorry if my post was misleading.
Good job on catching that.
Also there was an additional nonresident bonus tag on the alw this year. That’s how the 24 pt. guy got in.

Yes you’re correct 25 points was enough for the alw tag. I applied for Muzzleloader.
Sorry if my post was misleading.
Good job on catching that.
Also there was an additional nonresident bonus tag on the alw this year. That’s how the 24 pt. guy got in.
But the muzzleloader hunt had only one tag so it went in the general draw. Correct?? It wasn’t guaranteed go to one of the highest point holders. Yes 25 points wasn’t enough but neither was 24 points through 17. It ended to an applicant with 16. I don’t think we can put point creep in the same conversation with random draw tags.

But the muzzleloader hunt had only one tag so it went in the general draw. Correct?? It wasn’t guaranteed go to one of the highest point holders. Yes 25 points wasn’t enough but neither was 24 points through 17. It ended to an applicant with 16. I don’t think we can put point creep in the same conversation with random draw tags.
Yes you are right I stand corrected. I was kind of bummed out the day I made that post.
In hindsight I wish I would have a applied for the rifle tag.
I did go down to the Oak Creek this year scouting and did some serious hiking. That unit can kick a guys butt in a hurry.

let me try this again. I drew that tag this year and was hoping to mostly hunt water. Any thoughts on how key water will be for archery? I understand the fires had to have transformed the hunting so I am gathering info.
Hey, curious how everything worked out?

Probably still packing it out. Was so big and he was by himself. Snow hit, now he’s digging the last of the meat up. We’ll probably hear from him soon. I’m so confident, gonna hold my breath on this one.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom