Obama flip-flops on oil today

M

MortgageMan

Obama just realized that high oil prices are affecting all Americans. Man he's smart. I posted part of the article but you can read all of it by clicking the link.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/08/04/obama-ad-windfall-tax/

Barack Obama unveiled another shift in his energy policy Monday, reversing his opposition to tapping the nation?s strategic petroleum reserve as a means of lowering gasoline prices.

During a speech in Lansing, Mich., Obama said he'd like to release up to 10 percent of the 700 million barrels of oil kept in salt caverns in Texas and Louisiana. Obama also called for a revival of the windfall profits tax on oil companies.

?We meet at a moment when this country is facing a set of challenges greater than any that we have seen in generations. ? And for too long, our leaders in Washington have been unable or unwilling to do anything about it,? Obama said.

Among the short-term parts of his plan, Obama said: ?We should sell 70 million barrels of oil from our Strategic Petroleum Reserve for less expensive crude, which in the past has lowered gas prices within two weeks.?

Obama also called for more land to be leased in the National Petroleum Reserve in Alaska, he said ?we should also tap more of our substantial natural gas reserves,? and called for collaboration with Canada to build an Alaska natural gas pipeline.

His long-term solutions included the windfall profits tax, investing in hybrid-electric technology, and renewable fuels.

The shift in Obama?s energy policy follows comments over the weekend that he would be open to limited proposals for new offshore drilling. The change drew a charge of flip-flopping from John McCain?s campaign

Earlier this year, Obama supported capping new additions to the reserve as a way to ease pressure on gasoline prices, but not specifically tapping into the reserve. In July, he said he didn't support tapping the reserve, saying it only should be used in a ?genuine emergency.?

But increasing fuel costs have led some Democrats ? chiefly House Speaker Nancy Pelosi ? to look to the oil reserve for fresh supplies.

Obama campaign spokeswoman Heather Zichal said that while Obama didn't initially support tapping the reserve, he has reconsidered. ?He recognizes that Americans are suffering,? she said.

McCain flip flopped on offshore drilling a couple of months ago, so is it he who flips first claims the his stand on an issue?

Any politian should move with the times and go the direction the people want him too, McCain and Obama are both correct on changing when the situation demands it. you're just used to Bush , there's no shame in admitting you need to alter your plan to fit the times.

You crack me up. When it was McCain I am sure you and your liberal buddies were blowing a cork. But when its Obama its completely justified.

The part that I thought was funny was in the article where the Obama spokesperson says. Obama realizes that this is affecting Americans. Oh really, what took you so long to come to that conclusion? His flip flopping has more to do with the poll numbers than it does his true outlook on drilling and tapping the oil reserve. I just want to see his true colors and not the colors that change with the polls.

tapping the strategic reserve is a bad idea and does absolutely NOTHING to increase supply. We would use up 70 million barrels of oil in about a week or so, then what?

But 3 Blade if the Chinese are drilling of Cuba dont you think we should take are share. If not all of it.

isn't the "strategic reserve " for putting fuel in tanks and fighter planes if we had something "realy bad" happen for national defense?

JB

But 3 Blade if the Chinese are drilling of Cuba dont you think we should take are share. If not all of it.

Absolutely!! But whats that got to do with the strategic reserve?

Wanna hear the sickening part? From what I understand, what they are considering is opening up the Gulf of Mexico to within 50 miles of Alabama, Georgia, and the Loiusiana coasts. That still leaves that other pool to the Chinese and does nothing along the west and east coasts. Not to mention the recently discovered 90 billion barrels off the northern Alaskan shelf with 30 billion of that in our territorial waters.

------

isn't the "strategic reserve " for putting fuel in tanks and fighter planes if we had something "realy bad" happen for national defense?

Bingo!!

Then lets be there first. Forget those people. If there going to suck it up, we must take it from them. As I see it water flows down hill ,so does oil. They are taking are oil.

I agree. But getting this congress to do anything in Americas best interest is like pulling teeth.

what kind of koolaid do you people drink? are you saying that we should nationalize oil companys? so the government dictates where they should drill, Im not so sure the big multinational corporations are as excited as you think to go whereever you say they should, there are no easy answers to high oil prices, the best thing would be to quit borrowing hundreds of billions of dollars from foreign countrys, keeping the dollar strong, they have all flip flopped, so what

what if every body understood that when obama says (our leaders in washington) he is talking about the congress..thats how i see it..

Anytime a politian changes to meet the will of the people he represents people call it flip flopping, this make no sense.

McCain changed his position and now Obama can see he needs to change his to some degree. some people can't be satisisfied, if our leaders don't do as we wish we dispise them for it, if they do as we wish but it wasn't their idea we call them flip floppers. once again no wonder only losers want to lead us, anyone with any brains would tell us to shove it.

B. Hussein Obama - his position a few months ago (opposing all drilling) Opposing any use of the strategic reserves , only for "real" emergencies) was a definitive reason for his defeat of Hillary. Now he's realizing, along with the libs out west that we probably do need to drill. What a concept. A shorter list would be for what Obama has'nt flip flopped on- surge, oil, withdrawal of troops, strategic reserve, and so on and so on.

T264

Two weeks ago it would take 10 years to get the oil.

A week ago we were supposed to keep our tires inflated and get a tune up. That would save as much as the drilling would provide.

Today, Obama thinks drilling is a good idea. (After losing a 9 point lead)

Last week Pelosi was saving the planet by blocking a vote to drill. It was a scam by the republicans.

When Pelosi finally lets the house vote, will she be seen as changing to meet the will of the people? Or trying to keep from losing the majority for the dems this Nov.?

There is a difference between policy changes due to situation changes, and policy changes for political expediency (aka flip flopping).

There is a difference between policy changes due to situation changes, and policy changes for political expediency (aka flip flopping).

Well said......

Well said idhunters!

What dude and piper can't grasp is a politician changing his stance over a 30 year span is expected, while changing his stance based on who his audience is or what the polls say is FLIP FLOPPING. Obama changes his views/stances more often than he changes his socks, strangely his views/stances still stink worse than his socks!

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

The good thing for McCain is that he changed his stance on drilling before Obama and his (voted for) "surge" is getting positive results. 2 points for McCain 0 for Obams. Wow what timing... Maybe in October Osama will be captured and that will catapult McCain easily into the whitehouse and all will be well again with the Bushie party.

The fact of the matter is this country has been in the dumps for several years and people are grasping for a leader to bring this split/depressed nation back to its feet.

My favorite analogy to use right now is: The USA is like an NFL football team that has not been to the playoffs in 8 years. The team just fired their coach and are now looking for a new one. They have 2 prospects: 1. a coach with many years of experience under his belt, but set in his old style of coaching phylosophy (much like the recently fired coach) and 2. a young bright coach from college with little experience, but willing to try different offensive/defensive schemes... Option 1 could keep the team on the same path. Option 2 could turn out to be a Spurrier or a Jimmy Johnson. Which option will the American People choose???? This election may turn out to be more exciting than a Super Bowl game....

Good points

The reason Obama will win is he offers hope, the hope he doesn't suck. with McBush there isn't any hope, you know what you're getting and you know you don't like it.

This will has become a very negative campaign by McCain and I expect it will become the most negative in history. today the AP poll shows Obama up by 6 and the Gallup shows him back with a 4% lead, so will an I suck but he's too scary campaign work? I'm guessing not but who knows anymore.

Dude, anything against your liberal agenda you think is a smear campaign. Give me a break. Pointing out the obvious is not a negative campaign. He wanted rock star treatment and now he has got to take the good with the bad.

I think most are coming to their senses and the sense of hope for Obama is obviously diminishing along with his lead in the polls. In the beginning there was a sense of hope and rejuvenation that he inspired into moderates and liberals, but recently he has shown that he is just another politician that can change with the wind and whatever betters his situation. His list of credentials is very short and un-impressive for someone running for the oval office. Sure he was a community advisor in Chicago (whatever that is) and a senator for three years but besides that what other accolades does this guy have?

Hope is a very great thing no doubt. But I think most hope is in vain if Obama is elected. I think naming your plane O-force One is a little premature as well. I don't care for a guy that removes the American flag from the side of his plane as well.

Obama has gained his lead back since returning from Europe, I'm not sure where your new found optimism is coming from.

Because I don't like Bush and I'm not impressed with McBush that gives me a liberal agenda? no it just makes me an American who's not drinking the kool aid. being in the far right must be tough about now as the wheels spin off your cart, Keep your chin up, it ain't broke till you can't fix it no more.

Because I want a proven track record or some sort of accolades for the person running to be in the most highly coveted office that makes me from the far right? Obama's recent flip flops dont sit well with me. Each nominee has a right to change their mind and I respect that. The only reason Obama has changed his mind is because it was hurting him in the polls not because he actually feels a certain way. You can fight tooth and nail to defend the guy like he's your brother but the more and more assanine excuses that you use to defend him the more it brings to light that you are the one drinking the kool aid.

you know what gets me? this windfall profits tax on the big bad price gouging oil companies. What these idiots fail to tell everyone is that 85% of the worlds oil is owned by governments, not the oil companies. What they also fail to tell you is we get 75% or more of our oil from these governments. We used to produce 60% of our oil but the last windfall profits tax reduced that to the now 25% or less. Smart move on that peanut farmers part.

Its simple economics, if you want less of something, TAX IT!!

On another note, I think we need a Constitutional Amendment that forbids lawyers from holding office! They have proven time and time again that they are incapable of running the worlds largest corporation, the US government. I bet the dummies couldn't run a MacDonalds and make a profit.

All candidates "flip flop" (Barrak: Drilling, McCain: Global Warming...etc..) It's part of the game called "Politics". Hence the name Politicians... Afterall, Obama and McCain are Politicians..

It's all about Winning and getting into the Whitehouse. Taking 2nd place in a 2 - person race means Nothing. With that said, "flip flops" will continue to occur throughout the race and each candidate will do whatever it takes to win. Money makes the world go around and money talks. Are politicians corrupted?? ABSOLUTELY (both Dems and Repubs)! So don't take what they (have to)do personally it's just part of the game and it is what it is.

You just have to keep all this in mind and vote for the person you think will do the "things" that will benefit you and your family because at the end of the day (Family) is all that matters. Don't take things so serious Boys and Girls. Is it hunting season Yet?

I aggree the Obama is only flip flopping due to his poll ratings dropping and he is not sincere about more drilling, more refining plants to reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Has anyone else noted how he has worded his statements so that he can have wiggle room to change his decision once in office. It appears to be another con on his part and he has not changed his extreme liberal ideas on this matter. Even the press has noticed this based on his speeches.

RELH

RELH

He isn't getting my vote. And he isn't getting about 30% of the conservative democratic vote either.

Ransom

Someone changing their mind about their way of thinking is different than "flip-flopping" IMO. Obama's resume' is very un-impressive. A cummunity organizer and a three 3 year senator are his biggest attributes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom