Ochoco Antelope Hunt...

B

Bull7

Well, I finally had a little time to post the pictures of my Antelope hunt in the Ochoco Unit. I have been fortunate enough to take some nice animals over the years and have to say this is one of my favorite hunts to date. You will see why in the photos. If I didn't find the big boy that I was looking for I was going to let my son pull the trigger on a buck under the mentorship program. I would also like to thank a couple guys on here (KBKILLER & ELKLIVER) that were more then willing to help out with spots. I did scout the areas you suggested and found animals but never actually got to hunt them being I found the one I was watching 5-weeks prior. Enjoy the photos and let me know what you think of him.

This was the opening morning hike out with my son...
7149img00443-20100814-0600.jpg

Really like the mass on him...
5213antelope_hunt_8-14-10_010.jpg

The length is decent too...
5016antelope_hunt_8-14-10_060.jpg

This picture is going on the wall with the mount. Had to set the timer so we could both be in it...
4669antelope_hunt_8-14-10_078.jpg

You have to like this one. My son wanted to give me the thumbs up in the picture...
1292antelope_hunt_8-14-10_067.jpg

Time to go find some shade...Yes, that says 107*
4595img00479-20100815-1439.jpg

Some of the spoils of ending our hunt so early...
1381img00464-20100815-1342.jpg

2331antelope_hunt_8-14-10_083.jpg

2315antelope_hunt_8-14-10_082.jpg

What a great hunt & getting an Antelope wasn?t so bad either...

Nice Antelope! i can understand your being selective if you had that one spotted. Great experience to have with your son.

Bull7,

Great job on your hunt. Nice antelope and great photos. It is a hunting trip your son will remember for the rest of his life. I remember when my son was that young and he would accompany me on my hunts. Now I accompany him on his junior hunts. Congratulations!

Horniac

PS - I sent you a PM

bull7: that is a great ochoco antelope, sounds like an awsome hunt! sometimes i dont know if i want to use up my points so my kids could use them when they get old enough. great job and i'm glad you had great hunt. anyone looking at your pictures needs to know that it takes alot of scouting plus some luck to kill your goat. it's the type of unti you either need to know really well, or scout your butt off until you do know it, to kill an antelope like yours. way to make it happen!

p.s., i.ve got a good idea were those ridges in the background are, did you get tired of the god awfull bumpy roads?

congrats to you and even better your kid was with you! awsome hunt, awsome memories!

Thank you all for the great replies and help. That is one hunt for the books and now off to take my son on his his first legal bowhunt. Hey KBKILLER, you can do it just like i did. Spot the ones you would like to put on the wall and if it doesn't pan out let the kid take one of the smaller guys. And yes, you know that area pretty darn well and I did get tired of the dang road but i actually saw one guy turn around because of how bad it is getting. If I can help anyone with info in the future just ask. Antelope was one animal that I had to really spend time on but now can put a checkmark next to it...Thanks again for all of the help

The unit has changed over the years. Still some good goats around. My advice would be, not to camp at Scotts. Very rare to see antelope up that high, occasionally in the meadows on the North Slope side, or down in the south breaks into Big Summit. Also I am not even sure if it has opened back up. It was still closed in May. I am heading up this weekend as long as we can still access the NF land. I would also suggest you stay away from Big Summit, can be a zoo with hunters hoping 1 of the many 100’s will cross out of the private.

Took a good friend of mine a couple years ago that had the tag, he also wrapped up on opening morning.

I will follow up early next week with some more solid intel on some areas. Are you somewhat local or?

The unit has changed over the years. Still some good goats around. My advice would be, not to camp at Scotts. Very rare to see antelope up that high, occasionally in the meadows on the North Slope side, or down in the south breaks into Big Summit. Also I am not even sure if it has opened back up. It was still closed in May. I am heading up this weekend as long as we can still access the NF land. I would also suggest you stay away from Big Summit, can be a zoo with hunters hoping 1 of the many 100’s will cross out of the private.

Took a good friend of mine a couple years ago that had the tag, he also wrapped up on opening morning.

I will follow up early next week with some more solid intel on some areas. Are you somewhat local or?
I’m not local no. Live out in Hillsboro. I was only going to stay at Scott’s camp as they have 3 spots for tents and wanted it to be a some what quiet and away from others as possible. I’m planning on getting there early in the week before opening day to get some scouting in. Not trying to hunt next to people. I would rather eat my tag.
I do have a little info on a spot in the timber Southeast of the camp but, haven’t laid eyes on it yet. Hope to see some of you out there. Thanks for the info and any more you might have.

There are lots of places to camp that are less popular than Scotts camp.

I haven't been up there much this summer but I know it's been record hot and dry one. springs down lower you can always count on are drying up and it's a PITA keeping cattle in place.

As you probably know the best hunting is on private and basically none of the landowners will allow outside hunters. big goats are getting hard to find and numbers are down. good news is we had a very mild winter and survival was excellent so since a 3 year old can make book you don't need old bucks.

I'm not sure where I'd go if I had the tag, probably out around the south boundary the first day or two then over to Hardscrabble just because there are less hunters . less goats too but some decent ones if you can catch them off the private. last real nice one I saw was around Big Springs though, a few years ago. don't be afraid to look in the timber. tough hunting but they spend a lot of time in the trees surrounding the scabs especially when it's as hot as it's been..

Back
Top Bottom