Ochoco No. 1

S

Sheepshooter

This is going to be my first hunt in Oregon and really looking forward to it . Just trying to gather as much info as possible on the unit . Just wondering what would be considered an average bull in the unit and what is possible on the high end ? Also with the season so short is the pressure really intense ?

Thanks .

Steve

This is my back yard.

The hunter pressure will be nothing to worry about other than around a few of the hot spots. the only pressure will be on yourself due to the short hunt, other than that you have a good tag by Oregon standards.

Elk numbers are down some but the bull ratio is good, a 300+ bull is a realistic goal but if you really want an elk don't hold out for that. hard to say what the average bull is but I'd say a raghorn, a 350 class bull is taken every now and then but not as often as in the past.the big IF in the unit is how many elk will be the private land which pretty much surrounds the unit, some years this is a major problem but there will ALWAYS be elk on the public so it's never a washout.

You're in for a fun hunt with low hunter pressure in some pretty country with plenty of access and enough elk to make it a real hunt. everything from rolling slopes chopped with roads to steep roadless canyons , open country and black timber it's all here. one bit of advice I can give you that isn't easy to accept is don't think you need to be in the baddest or most remote country to find a nice bull, maybe in second season but not in first for sure. with the light hunter pressure and huge tracts of private land the elk are always on the move and they're as apt to be on the edge of the hiway as in the wilderness. seriously.

Congrats Steve on the draw. A friend of mine, his son drew both a deer and elk tag in Oregon but don't know which area. He told me that he might not go for the Elk just the Deer. Other commitments I guess.

Brian
http://i41.tinypic.com/xvvgp.jpg[/IMG]

unless it's a heck of a good deer tag vs. just an average elk tag i couldn't agree more!

and on top of that, 440 was right on the money on his description of the ochocos. i live in p-ville ---- although there are some geat places in those dirty rugged spots, i've killed bulls while watching traffic drive right by

Thanks for the replies and info , I really appreciate it .

Brian , I guess I took too long of a break from here .Went to log in and I couldn't . Had to start over . Oh well .

are you the one i talked to before? send me another p.m. man, i have a ton of great info for you!

Just so you know Sheepshooter, KB kills most of his critters next to the road....er on the road. They refer to him in pineville as the Road Side Killer. Have fun. FYI coordinate your gps with your maps. Funny where some of the property boundries end up...

HK

>Just so you know Sheepshooter, KB
>kills most of his critters
>next to the road....er on
>the road. They refer
>to him in pineville as
>the Road Side Killer.
>Have fun. FYI coordinate
>your gps with your maps.
> Funny where some of
>the property boundries end up...
>
>
>HK

aren't you the one who complains of no animals in oregon? silence is your friend;)

Hello gentlemen, I know I'm almost a decade late to the conversation, but I drew a new archery Ochoco unit tag this year for deer. Anyone got any information they'd be willing to pass on? I have never hunted Ochoco before.. I am going to head on up and scout in the near future but wanted to ask in case you guys had any information (just general stuff). I appreciate any advice/wisdom! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom