Oct elk water?

270Whatelse

Doing some more map scouting for my 1st rifle elk hunt and I am wondering what/where elk will be getting water from at this time of year. Creeks? Water holes? Anyone setup over waterholes during 1st rifle like they do during archery season? This is for a hunt in a limited unit so not alot of pressure btw. Thanks

Use your ears, be mobile. They'll be talking alot. Sitting and waiting can be hit or miss. Get up a couple hours before light and listen and head toward the bugle you like the sound of. Good luck!

Yes elk use water then but my experience (mountains) is there is water every where. They don't need a giant hole, any little seep in dark timber is all they need. With all the pressure it is hard to find them at a "water hole" during day light.

Like DW said I'd still be trying to locate bugling bulls the first two days of 1st rifle. If its heavy pressure that is about all you get. If no pressure than it can last a long time. I had 3 bulls bugling it up till 11am in 2nd season last year while hunting bucks and it was half way through the hunt already.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

In my experience they will water at night during the rifle seasons. tracks come out of the timber down to the creek and back up under the cover of the moon or darkness. They don't need much like previously said. If they find some on the hill they won't come down to the creek.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom