Odd or Unusual Encounters

NVPete

Very Active Member
How many have had these? This morning, I was driving in pre-dawn darkness, when I saw a nice 6-pt. bull getting ready to cross so I braked. The bull must have had his mind somewhere else, because as he turned to face me head-on, I could see the look of shock and amazement when he realized what he was looking at!He immediately whirled around, went back out off the road, and went about 20 yards further to cross!Fun to watch!
Another time, a small buck bounded in front of me and hit a barbed-wire fence, sending sprawling onto the roadway right in front of me. I was amazed to watch as he tried again, with the same result, but the third time, I don't know how he managed it, but he slipped through the fence, antlers and all!
Another one: I had hiked into some trees in the draw at the edge of a field in pre-dawn darkness, and settled down in front a shrub, waiting for what I hoped would be a string of cow elk to file by at about daylight. I didn't even notice a bull that came in on the other side of my perch, and he scared the heck out of me when he let go a bugle! When I jumped up, he lit out of there...after daylight, I looked for him, and the cows must not have liked what they heard, 'cause I never saw them again either!

I once called in several turkeys to a hog wire fence. They all stuck their heads through in the effort to pass, but of course their bodies would not fit. I shot one, and the rest all tried to fly without first extracting their heads. I walked twenty yards to the fence before the last one finally got it together and flew off. I guess that was an odd encounter from his perspective.

I was checkin fence a few years back, it was a wire fence of 4" squares, early August when I came up on a fawn that tried to jump it but ran his back legs thru the top squares. Looked like it'd just happened as he didn't have any hair rubbed off. I reached over and picked him off the fence and freed his legs and he was docile as could be. I figured I'd dump him on the side he was headed to when he got hung up and when I let him go the little chit gave me both hind legs square in the chest! I thought you ungrateful little prick! I always wonder how he turned out.

I sat motionless in a jumble of boulders amidst some tall timber just West of Lake Tahoe, CA hunting deer. I'd sat for several hours just motionless and watched a few doe walk by yards away due to the great wind I had blowing in my face. Not one deer even suspected any danger was near due to their calm demeanor.
Beyond the timber was a stream where the deer were making their way to for their evening drink and bedding area.
Directly in front of me, in the deep timber I watched as some low to the ground animal critter had me pegged and just kept showing up over and over, slinking its way nearer and nearer.
Was it a weasel, maybe a ferret, I couldn't tell, but I remained motionless.
What seemed like forever came to fruition when a jet black mink, about 4' long was laid out on the rock six feet from my face just as inquisitive as could be. His panting, grunting, and just his attitude told me he was of little harm, so I just sat and enjoyed his presence.
He laid on that rock for about 7-10minutez before he'd had enough and literally melted off the rock, slithered thru more boulders and back into the tall timber.
Probably one of the coolest creatures I've ever seen, and living in CA, I find myself very fortunate to have had that encounter. I don't know of anyone besides myself who's ever seen one, let alone watched one for such a long amount of time.

That is cool, Bossbrott. I have seen mink on several occasions, but always in or near water. And never one that approached four feet in length. Could it have been a fisher? Such sightings are even more rare than the mink.

While hunting black bears on POW island we sat on a beach, glassing for bears along the shore.
We heard a rustle in the brush behind us so we froze.
Out pops a marten. (I'm not really up on my weasel family identification but it was orangish in color with a white chest patch so I don't think it was a mink.) He walkes past us at 10 yards and swims out in to the ocean, dives down and comes back up with a crab.
He swims back to shore and proceeds to tear off a pincher arm and eat it. The crab is not happy. When the marten went back for seconds the crab assumed a defensive position and snapped at the marten with his remaining pincher. The marten killed him in a flash with a face/head bite.
Then, he sat there on the beach and ripped off every arm and ate them, eventually moving on to the crab's insides.
When he was through he walked back passed us in to the brush.

I often wondered how many times in his life he had done that, and if it was something he learned from his mother? I would have never guessed they would do something like that.

I was on a desert sheep hunt in California in about 1990....when the season was 2 weeks long and protestors came out...

I hid in the brush watching a dirty hippy and his dirtier girl friend walk up the ridge towards me from about 1000 yards out....they kept coming and coming and coming till they were cuming...at about 5 feet in front of me he spread his jacket in the weeds, laid her on her back......and poured the coals to her....I could smell them both....they got up...wiped off and went on up the ridge never having a clue I was there.

I think I would have puked at the sight. Or at least waited until the "last moment" to offer her a tic-tac, or something.

>I was on a desert sheep
>hunt in California in about
>1990....when the season was 2
>weeks long and protestors came
>out...
>
>I hid in the brush watching
>a dirty hippy and his
>dirtier girl friend walk up
>the ridge towards me from
>about 1000 yards out....they kept
>coming and coming and coming
>till they were cuming...at about
>5 feet in front of
>me he spread his jacket
>in the weeds, laid her
>on her back......and poured the
>coals to her....I could smell
>them both....they got up...wiped off
>and went on up the
>ridge never having a clue
>I was there.

And I Suppose You watched the Whole Episode?:D

[font color="blue"]dude has his Resume turned in to be Hillary's
Intern[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Aug-26-16 AT 07:12AM (MST)[p]Good story Homer, great use of words.

I was driving in down a forest road near Flagstaff AZ and was approaching a vehicle, once we got close to the vehicle, a woman took off running for cover with her pants down at her ankles. She tripped and fell a few times and never did find any good cover by the time we passed. It was obvious she was pooping or peeing and got interrupted and couldn't finish or close it off in time.

Bass Lake near Fresno about 20-25 years ago.

We were up there doing some SAR practice stuff during the summer. Warm nights, warm water, beer.
Anyway, we noticed a houseboat of sorts just bobbing in the water, about a quarter mile away, so a buddy and I, the crew chief, decided to snorkel up and swim out to visit them. In the dark. As it turned out, there was a couple on the boat going at it. After they were finished, the girl was relaxing and laying down on the port side stern with her feet just about touching the water. We were about 20-30 feet from the boat...it was sorta like a big screen movie. They never knew we were there until my buddy got his sneak on and swam up to her and grabbed one of her dangling feet. I never laughed so hard in my life. Screaming, yelling, cussing.

Gila back in the 60s. I was taking care of business in the bushes when I heard this commotion coming my way. Too late to pull my pants up, I turned just in time to have a small herd of mulies come busting through close enough for a doe to brush by my leg.

Southern CO in the late 80s. I wasn't having much luck hunting, so I decided to take a SLR camera (Minolta 7000) along to take some pictures during my early afternoon walk and stalk. I sat down and was enjoying the scenery and adjusting my lense, cleaning it when I saw some deer coming towards me. All does, so far. I raised my camera when they were about 30 feet away when one of the does started to hunch up and go poo. So, I took a picture. The funny part was when the shutter clicked, she jumped about two feet high and took off like crazy.

I was fishing in a Northern Utah stream a few years ago with my buddy Jerry. We were fishing with night crawlers
and I caught a nice trout about 17" so I put it on a stringer as I forgot my creel. I tied it to my pants loop and was out in the middle of the stream when I felt a tugging on the stringer line. When I raised it out of the water there was a mink holding onto it and kinda growling and snarling. I couldn't believe it so I held it up for my buddy Jerry to see. once I did that he let go and fell into the water.
We'll I went a little further upstream and again I felt the tugging. It was that crazy mink again. This time I shook him off and he just swam around me waiting so I gave him the fish I figured he was more hungry than me. he swam off happy as a hell with the fish in his mouth

Thanks for posting and sharing! I loved reading them!I was a Park Ranger for 36 years, I have a bunch of pretty odd or even disgusting or funny (depending on your point of view) "human encounter" stories, too, but I was mostly thinking about the ones involving those of hunting or nature variety! Good reads,anyway!

Here's one more that I was able to capture photographic evidence of. A few years ago, I was out driving around, and I encountered a wild horse colt standing in the road. My first reaction was, "Where's his momma?" and then, "Cool photo op!" I whinnied to get him to look at me, but was amazed when he came straight for me! This pic, he was investigating my belt buckle! He actually investigated the inside of my truck, rubbed up against the back of the truck a few times. I finally drove away, with him running after me! :)

90279colt.jpg

12783colt2.jpg

36100colt3.jpg

Do you know how women get mink? The same way mink get mink.

I was driving down this narrow Forest Service road one hunting season as it was pouring down rain. I came around a sharp corner and there was a naked hippie guy sitting in a mud puddle in the road. I sure surprised him. I guess everybody needs a bath once in awhile. WTF?

Years ago I was riding my bicycle across the CSU campus and was ogling a young Lady. I encountered a large dumpster which stopped my forward progress very quickly and ruined my front rim.

NVPete,
your bull in fence story sounds identical to mine.

We were sitting around the fire one night enjoying many beers/shots, was about 10 of us. All 18-19 years old except one who was 21. I walked around the front of the house to see a sheriff and a trooper sitting in the driveway checking on us. I snuck around the corner and jumped the fire on a dead run saying cops arrived! I had a good head start on everyone and thought I had plenty of time to make my escape. One problem there was a old barb wire fence at edge of yard surrounding the field. In my mind I looked like an Olympic hurdler, in reality, I don't think my feet ever got more than 12" off the ground. That fence threw me back into the yard and half the people just passed me heading to freedom. Took another stab at the fence, except this time I ran along the fence looking for a low spot. After a few paces, I found what I was looking for, top strand was sagging way down. Again my expert leaping abilities took over and I landed on top of the fence rolling back into the yard. By now everyone has escaped into the field and is nearing the tree line. Sherriff and trooper are walking around the corner of the house telling people to stop. One last ditch effort, I bull rush the fence and leap head first getting all ripped up, rolling across the ground I am now the precursor of Bolt in this years Olympics sprinting across the field! Every one started screaming to get down then I see the spot light coming my direction. I drop, wait for light and then take off for final leg to hit the woods. :D

After we hit the woods one of my friends was leading us in a loop to get back to house and watch to see when sheriff left. In route he encountered a electric fence, sure was fun to see all that go down in the moonlight :D Few minutes later he did it again on the other side of the pasture... lol

After hiding in the bushes for nearly an hour we were finally able to come back out and finish off our beer :)

So yep, I feel for that bull hitting the fence, it sux :D
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom