Odds of early snow?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
The weather in Colorado hasn't been good to us hunters in the past few years. I had a 3rd season tag 2 years ago and the weather was warm and no snow had fallen yet. How many years has it been since Colorado has had a good, early snow and what are the odds that it happens again soon? Have you old timers seen this to be a pattern....like the drought in California type of thing? Yes....I have a 3rd season tag and I also have a 2b New Mexico tag so I need early snow for both hunts to really be that much better. :)

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Had an early one in 2012 but that one might have been an Eastside storm. Not sure if it got the Western Slope that year. It's been awhile and it's more likely not to happen then it is to happen. That said, we're due!

#livelikezac

Good early snow? Its been a long time.

I have a home near Reno. I have noticed that if Reno gets wet weather, about 4 days later it hits camp in Colorado.

What unit are you hunting?

It probably doesn't matter since we are going to burn to a crisp this summer in western Colorado.

Hasbean

feddoc....My Dad and I drew a 33 3rd season deer tag. You hunted it?

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

Dry, dry, dry... It'll be dry... Climatologists as not forecasting much moist.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

I'm in the same boat! I have a 3rd season Tag. If you look at the rain fall for 3rd season the last 4 Novembers the total rain fall has been increasing every year (In the area I'm hunting in) so if you believe weather patterns work in waves, than I think it's going to be a little better this year.

>feddoc....My Dad and I drew a
>33 3rd season deer tag.
>You hunted it?
>
>Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good
>health for granted because it
>can be gone in a
>heartbeat. Please go back and
>read the last line. This
>time really understand what it
>says.

Nope, never been in 33.

If you are a Farmer's Almanac believer it says below avg temps and above average moisture for Sept and October. That being said, I like to just walk out the tent and look.It seems to serve me best.Forecast one time was 60-70 degrees and some clouds rolled in and 15" later people were leaving.It was dusty 2 days later.

Wiz,
The sad thing is nobody knows and you are one of the lucky few waiting on early weather.
I had a 3rd season tag several years ago and we got snow the first day, but it didn't last. It didn't seem to effect the rut all that much and then it warmed up. But the rut started to kick in and by the end of the hunt we saw a lot of moving deer and rutting bucks.
I hope it works for you, regardless of the weather. You can't worry about it, you just have to make the best of it.
One thing we did notice is sometimes the big bucks were laying in the cedars near doe groups, waiting for one to come into heat. Make sure you glass carefully around doe groups. You may hit the jackpot!
Best of luck

I hunted Co for the last 4 years or so in a row in both the 2nd & 3rd season. For the most part it has been dry with any storms that did come through dropping minimal precipitation. The Last good storm I hunted in was in 08' If I remember correctly about 4" on valley in 2nd season. My guess this year is that we will get a good storm in or around the 2nd season. I did not make it to Wyoming last October & missed the storm of the Century, It snowed 24" on top & legend has it the deer & elk where heading lower in high numbers.

We are due : no way to tell.

In the late 90's had some good late season weather , cold , and then late 2000s as well.
I think we are trending for good weather again in '18.

The climate has changed, w more to come. CO late (Dec) season is the new 3rd season. Nov. is so warm now that ski areas here have difficulty making snow, which works best below 28 degrees.

It's averaged around 1 in every 10 years with good snow during the 3rd rifle season in most higher elevation areas. I would go into your hunt expecting scattered snow. If there is deep snow you should be in the money. Obviously snow doesn't matter as much in the Eastern Plains and a few other scattered units where the deer aren't highly migratory.

I feel a bit of optimism in this post. I appreciate it. I need it. We'll be hunting the 7th-11th....end of the season so hopefully the bucks are chasing a bit. Thanks for the comments.

Steve

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom