Odds out on Gohunt

hossblur

Long Time Member
Saw some really bad # on there.

Manti rifle GS deer is 0% with no point.

Point creep really hit a couple of elk i was looking at.

My 100% Wyoming Antelope is gone as well.

That's without looking at massive totals held by point only folks.

Already knew I was in no mans land with 20 moose points, but moving .01% sucks, especially when I was only .52 to start with

I’ve drawn multiple tags that these odds websites said I had no shot at. You never know what’s gonna happen. You can’t draw if you don’t apply.

things change every year. Some years are drastic changes, some are minimal. It’s hard to predict anything in utah without tag numbers published before the application period. Just apply for what you want and don’t worry about it too much.

Yes sir, someone will drawn these coveted tags, however some rational logic must be taken. I backed out of Wyoming sheep and Moose a couple years ago after donating 13 years of $ for preference points . When a zero or two fall after the decimal point in my odds ... I choose another option.

Saw some really bad # on there.

Manti rifle GS deer is 0% with no point.

Point creep really hit a couple of elk i was looking at.

My 100% Wyoming Antelope is gone as well.

That's without looking at massive totals held by point only folks.

Already knew I was in no mans land with 20 moose points, but moving .01% sucks, especially when I was only .52 to start with
I dropped out of the moose pool 4 years ago with 17 points, at that time I still had about 13 years to go to draw one of the easier units. 30 years for a lousy Shiras, no thanks. have about the same odds on Rockys with almost no points now.

I often wonder why people would drop out after getting into the points game. I mean did you not know what you were getting into? Did it get too expensive for you? Why not instead of letting the points go away you use it for a cow tag and donate it to one of the various programs that helps disable kids or military vets?

Just seems silly to drop out. Its like buying a car without an engine and you completely restore it but then realize the commitment to put in a new engine so all those years you just let the car go away...

I often wonder why people would drop out after getting into the points game. I mean did you not know what you were getting into? Did it get too expensive for you? Why not instead of letting the points go away you use it for a cow tag and donate it to one of the various programs that helps disable kids or military vets?

Just seems silly to drop out. Its like buying a car without an engine and you completely restore it but then realize the commitment to put in a new engine so all those years you just let the car go away...
I dropped out of the Utah moose point accumulation when I realized I will not achieve max points in my lifetime. I could do a diy Alaska moose for a few hundred more and an airplane ticket. That's a better, more feasible plan when it hits my priority list. I still put in on years when I can spare the time, but I'm not going to chase a UT moose tag as a feasible plan that I should waste my time tracking and sending $10 / year to. Your point is taken well though. I started anterless moose the first year it went to bonus points. I didn't buy points the two years when they didn't offer any tags. (I thought it unethical that they would sell preference points when there aren't even any tags.) That was a 15 year mistake!!!.

I dropped out of the Utah moose point accumulation when I realized I will not achieve max points in my lifetime. I could do a diy Alaska moose for a few hundred more and an airplane ticket. That's a better, more feasible plan when it hits my priority list. I still put in on years when I can spare the time, but I'm not going to chase a UT moose tag as a feasible plan that I should waste my time tracking and sending $10 / year to. Your point is taken well though. I started anterless moose the first year it went to bonus points. I didn't buy points the two years when they didn't offer any tags. (I thought it unethical that they would sell preference points when there aren't even any tags.) That was a 15 year mistake!!!.

Money was getting married while paying cash for both our college. I started early enoigh, had I not been broke ID been fine

I will be dropping out of moose this year. Unless I just want to play the lottery for a random tag every year. I wish the DWR would list the actual odds of bonus tags and regular tags for people. For example: Moose on the North Slope says 1 in 185.2, but half of the tags are given to the bonus tag pool at the top. If you eliminate the bonus tags (7) from the pool, the new odds are 6 in 2401, or 1 in 400 chance at the remaining tags.

Or worse than that... There are roughly 1100 people ahead of me on the point system. Giving out 13 tags per year, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it will take 80+ years for me to get to bonus tags... LOL

Imagine when deer get to that point.

I know those odds seem terrible and they are. But what's an extra $10? If you hunt Utah at all your license is $65 every other year and $10 per species. I will hunt mule deer every few years and maybe some day get a LE or OIL tag. With 12-13 points for most everything I do not plan on quitting even with near zero odds. This is from a non-resident of UT.

I know those odds seem terrible and they are. But what's an extra $10? If you hunt Utah at all your license is $65 every other year and $10 per species. I will hunt mule deer every few years and maybe some day get a LE or OIL tag. With 12-13 points for most everything I do not plan on quitting even with near zero odds. This is from a non-resident of UT.
Exactly. I think it comes down to money for most people. I know it all adds up but if a guy really wants to hunt some of these species or units a little side hustle can cover the costs. I feel like the same guys that drop out of points systems do not play the stock market or invest at all. Which by the way is another great way to pay for the associated costs of applying for these tags.

Just this year i'll spend about 10k on fly out hunts up here in AK. To justify the cost I do side hustles like buying and reselling stuff, consulting and different odds and ends. I always treat my normal pay from work as 100% for the family. Zero gets spent on my hobbies. It helps me keep things in place. I sold some moose sheds I found this spring and that put 4k in my pocket. Its like anything in life, if you want it go get it. Hunters are a jealous lot. You see all the guys on here making fun of the the social media hunters. But the reality is they are just jealous. Of course just my opinion....

I dropped out of the moose pool 4 years ago with 17 points, at that time I still had about 13 years to go to draw one of the easier units. 30 years for a lousy Shiras, no thanks. have about the same odds on Rockys with almost no points now.
From Wyoming? If so, does that mean you would have 20 or 21 points right now if you stayed in? Easily enough to draw a good tag. Maybe this is for a different state or maybe you had less points?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom