ODFW Wants Your Comments!

Hiker of the Woods

Now is your chance to tell ODFW what you think!

From ODFW: “TELL US WHAT YOU THINK! WE WANT TO HEAR WHAT RESIDENT DEER AND ELK HUNTERS THINK ABOUT HUNTING SEASONS IN OREGON.”

People can respond to other posts on the ODFW forum. Scroll your mouse over to the upper right side of someone's post and three circles will pop up. One is for Reporting, one is to Like, and the last is to Reply.

https://www.oregonbiggameforum.org/

Hope they (odfw) read it. Oregons draw sucks. Its expensive, low odds, and very few options for muzzy and bow. I just want to get my antelope and be done unless something changes. 200 bucks a year for a few pts is starting to not look like its worth it.

Notice says they want to hear what residents think, they don’t care what NR think. I burned my points two years ago and stopped putting in for Oregon hunts.

when enough NR stop applying they will get the message.

As a Oregon resident I am embarrassed how our fish and game department treats non-residents. 5% cap on deer and elk, 3% cap on antelope. Imagine the whining if Wyoming, Arizona or Nevada restricted non-residents at the same rate.

Sad part is, i live a few hrs from oregon so its not like im rich and go across the country. Last time i hunted (a point or two unit), it was as tough a hunt as ive seen (mule deer). Not an over abundance of ppl, just very few deer. It was the 4th time ive hunted the unit and saw less and less deer every year. The worst unit in WA may be better. It was the Wenaha. The any buck part would be the first thing id change. Make it 3 pt or better. Helped alot in WA. Lots of guys shot spikes and 2 pts.

I too want to burn my pts (elk) as I have 12 now. No asperations to hunt a grear unit, but would hand them in for a simple branched bull and be done for good. Invest my 200 for 12 years..

Just saying that there is nothing good about shooting a spike mule deer.

If data shows it doesnt help, why do they do it then. There must be data on the contrary. Also, i have seen a dramtic increase in elk numbers since it went from "any bull" to 3 pt min. In my area. So frankly I think that I will go with my own eyes on this one.

With elk, the older they get the smarter they get and by the time they are 3-yrs old they are harder to hunt (unless in the rut ;^)

There have been numerous studies and the antler point restrictions only foster a genetic herd predisposed to 3x3's. That's why Utah has a management buck hunt (3x or less). To correct the propogation of 3x3's in their top hunt units.

I would like to see 3-point or better also, The good thing at least when you harvest a buck it might weigh more than 90 pounds. The bad thing is there will be plenty of forked horns wasted when hunters that don't look before shooting walk up on it and keep walking when it is not a 3 point.

Padfoot, those are 2 different arguments. Ive read research that nutrition impacts pts-horn size as much as genetics. Also, a 3 pt will at least be of breeding age.

Id be excited to see a big 3 on a hunt in oregon. It would be an improvement. You have to have bucks to have management. The real issue is cougars-wolves-bears. Since hound hunting was (for the most part) outlawed in the mid 90s (in WA) there has been less deer since. Not sure our liberal govts will ever curb it, since they really dont care about hunter's wishes-wants. Im not a trophy hunter, but love hunting deer.

I share your frustration with liberal politics overriding sound wildlife (predator management) management. The same has occurred here in CA where the cougars have overrun the state. Add that to the addition of wolves in the last few years and the continued loss of winter range from housing and development into the wildland interface puts pressure on our deer population.

As I remember it the studies on antler point restrictions need to be specifically focused for a specific outcome (bumping the younger age class deer to restore buck/doe ratios, etc.), and the antler point restrictions only work for a short time - 2-3 years. Then you need to remove the point restrictions in order to manage through tag allocations, habitat, and predator management to manage herd buck/doe ratios and population levels. The way I understand it, by continually shooting only 4x or better means you take out that class of deer from the breeding population, which then selects for 3x deer who skew the gene pool that direction. In anycase, it is much more complicated than that, and folks have pointed to many studies on this blog site, so I'll defer to the experts.

Back
Top Bottom