Off-Range Oryx Change

maxxbob1

Last year (2008) and the year before, the Off-Range Oryx hunt was on page 19 of the hunting proclaimation and was considered a Population Management hunt. This year (2009) the Off-Range Oryx hunt is on page 51, under the regular draw oryx hunts. So, last year you could apply for both an Off-Range license and a regular draw license. This year you can't because the Off-Range hunt is now a regular draw hunt. I called the Game Department to see if this was an error, and was told that the last two years were an error that they now have fixed. So now you cannot apply for both. (I was surprised that the lady, a NM state Government employee, answered the phone after 1600 hours on Christmas Eve.) So now here is another issue: On page 49, under "Special Restrictions" it says "All oryx licenses(except population management, WSMR security badge, youth-only, broken horn, private land-only and incentive hunts) are once-in-a-lifetime licenses." Since the off-range hunt is no longer a population management hunt, and not listed separately, I guess it becomes a once-in-a-lifetime hunt(??). The lady that answered the phone said that if I think that's a mistake, I need to call the guy in charge, Darryl Weybright at (505) 476-8035. I got a better idea, I won't be applying for an off-range license anymore!!

Look at the top of page 51.

"Off White Sands Missile Range Hunts These hunts are NOT Once-In-A-Lifetime"

But, go ahead and feel free to not put in for them. It helps me out. :)

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom