Off to a good start this Year I Drew an EXPO Bookcliffs Muzzy Deer Tag

RoadlessHunter

This year is off to a great start, since I drew an expo tag for Muzzle Loader Book Cliffs deer tag. I have never owned or hunted with a Muzzy. I decided to put in for the Hennery?s Riffle tag in the regular LE draw. I figure that is the only tag worth taking over an EXPO tag. I only have 5 points, so I'm not worried about draw anyway. I also won a Nikon Range finder in the expo prize drawing. I will need that for the muzzy hunt

I hope I didn't use up all my Luck for the year. I hope to draw a Region G tag again this year. If I luck out that will make it 3 years in a row. But results are an eternity away from being posted.

5407dscn1362.jpg

I just purchased my muzzy for my LE deer hunt in the Book Cliffs. I went with the Omega with the thumb hole. I like how the gun feels and I can hold it steady. I need to get the 1 power scope and figure out what type of bullet I will shoot.

Not an expert by no means, but I would consider buying a rear peep sight and going that route over a 1x scope. Might ask for more opinions. Buddy said he tried a 1x scope and hated it. I killed a bull in Nevada and my dad killed a cow with a Hornady SST. Heard the Barnes bullets are really good as well. Muzzeloders are really fun. Think you will like it alot. Ask for advice and pick 2 or 3 bullets and go shoot and see what you like. I killed 2 deer with 100 grains pyrodex powder and 250 grain bullet. Bumped the pyrodex up to 350 for the elk. Congrats on the tag. Get good with that thing and go have some fun. By the way, if you do decide to look at a peep, Williams makes some excellent peep sights.

Well I am getting excited about my Muzzy Bookcliff hunt. I have set a goal for this hunt. I want to top the biggest bucks that I have shoot with other weapons. This buck is my biggest with a bow. I shot him on one of Utah?s Limited Entry Hunts when I was 15.

33 Inch 6 x 4
5984b.jpg

It's a tossup with the riffle, but I think the typical is the best buck. The second one has good basses and tines, but he is lacking on the point length category.

28 inch 4 x 4 with good point lengths. I shot him in Wyoming
3217bbb.jpg

29 Inch 5 X 4 with great bases.
4536bb.jpg

I took a 2 day scouting trip to the Book Cliffs. I came back with mixed feelings. It looks like it will be hard to find a good buck. I saw a few mediums but nothing like I want to shoot.

5 X 4 This buck would do on the last couple of days.
29574x5_two_cheater.jpg

5 x 4 I would shoot this one on the way out last day.
20195x4_small.jpg

I have a couple more bucks that are big on my video. I will make some snap shots and post them up later. One of those bucks had 6 points on each side.

How far north of the divide road do deer hang out during the muzzy hunt?

I might sound a little picky, but the LE I put in for has bucks like the ones shown below. My brother passed on the first one at 15 yards bedded on the side of the road. Another hunter came by with the guide in the area and gut shot him. It took them 3 more arrows and a day to finally get him. He scored 214 points and was 28 inches wide. My bro passed because we were chasing the second buck pictured below. We had him at 35 yards but I had the shooting lane and didn't realize my brother couldn't see him. I kept saying shoot and he kept saying which one. I would say the one in the gap. The buck finally ran off with no shot at him.

6X6
9514big_6.jpg

Big 4
1260big_boyy.jpg

This one was with the 6 x 6 about 15 yards away. He is a main frame 3 with a bunch of 1 inch cheaters on his horns. A cross bow guy killed this one.
5542big_a_3.jpg

Not sure what's in this guy?s watering hole.
7724jpeg_big_6.jpg

A couple big boys down the road from camp
2085big_boys.jpg

Tall 5 x 4
1631biff.jpg

Ugly 3 x 4
5675big_3_by_4.jpg

This might be why I am picky. I want to shoot a big buck.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom