Official Proposals Posted

5yearcoueshunter

Hey everyone,
G&F posted all the proposals for all species. Please review and email comments. Here are a few highlights:

All Big Game - No Scopes on Muzzleloaders

Turkey - Delist Gould's, end spring season on May 15 instead of May 10

Deer - Lower tags in 2B, move most of the youth 2B tags from late Nov to Oct, lower tags in 34, still looking at other SE units to lower tags, add Coues only rifle in 16, 21, 22, 26

Pronghorn - Make rifle hunts later (late Sept, early Oct)

Javelina - increase licenses, standardize seasons for both OTC and draw (Bow Jan 1- 30, Rifle Feb 1 - Mar 31)

Bighorn - Add Jemez Ram hunt, Add another Gorge Ram hunt, split season for some Desert areas (Ladrons, Pelloncinos)

Barbary - Make all of unit 34 OTC, add ~16% more draw tags, combine all draw units together (32, 36, 37, 29, 30) Have 8 draw hunts instead of 5 with less time to hunt. Increase McGregor tags

Ibex - Lower tags numbers, change F-IM hunt from <15 inch horns to <20 inch horns (billy to nanny ratio is out of whack, want to take out more IM billy to balance)

Oryx - Increase in Offrange tags and possibly OIL as well

Elk - Make Unit 34 a secondary unit (means OTC for private land), increase cow tags in 34, make 36 ES hunts and increase tags, lower bull tags in the Gila, remove Senior from encouragement hunts

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

There are more details than above, but biggest changes that I saw.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
G&F posted all the proposals for all species. Please review and email comments. Here are a few highlights:

All Big Game - No Scopes on Muzzleloaders

Turkey - Delist Gould's, end spring season on May 15 instead of May 10

Deer - Lower tags in 2B, move most of the youth 2B tags from late Nov to Oct, lower tags in 34, still looking at other SE units to lower tags, add Coues only rifle in 16, 21, 22, 26

Pronghorn - Make rifle hunts later (late Sept, early Oct)

Javelina - increase licenses, standardize seasons for both OTC and draw (Bow Jan 1- 30, Rifle Feb 1 - Mar 31)

Bighorn - Add Jemez Ram hunt, Add another Gorge Ram hunt, split season for some Desert areas (Ladrons, Pelloncinos)

Barbary - Make all of unit 34 OTC, add ~16% more draw tags, combine all draw units together (32, 36, 37, 29, 30) Have 8 draw hunts instead of 5 with less time to hunt. Increase McGregor tags

Ibex - Lower tags numbers, change F-IM hunt from <15 inch horns to <20 inch horns (billy to nanny ratio is out of whack, want to take out more IM billy to balance)

Oryx - Increase in Offrange tags and possibly OIL as well

Elk - Make Unit 34 a secondary unit (means OTC for private land), increase cow tags in 34, make 36 ES hunts and increase tags, lower bull tags in the Gila, remove Senior from encouragement hunts

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

There are more details than above, but biggest changes that I saw.
I’m not digging the elk or senior proposals at all!

Some interesting proposals glad to see they are finally recognizing the slaughter they caused on 2B. I'm not against youth hunts as I have two kids, but that hunt is ridiculous. If the no scoped muzzleloaders passes wonder if draw odds will get better for muzzy hunts

I dont agree with elk or no scopes on muzzles. Maybe splitting muzzle tags in half and one traditional hunt and one scoped hunt. That would be as far as I would go with that. At absolute furthest also. Id be fine with a traditional muzzle hunt, getting 25% of total muzzleloader tags. Then open muzzle getting 75%. Traditional muzzle hunts are fun to me.

Ibex does need to be lowered and javelina increased. They are taking over EVERYWHERE.

Some interesting proposals glad to see they are finally recognizing the slaughter they caused on 2B. I'm not against youth hunts as I have two kids, but that hunt is ridiculous. If the no scoped muzzleloaders passes wonder if draw odds will get better for muzzy hunts
Problem is Colorado keeps increasing tags north of the border, dropping 2B NM tags may not have that big of an impact.

Disagree with adding another ram hunt on the Gorge.

I've always believed they had way too many tags allocated for the late November youth deer hunt in 2B. Moving it to October again is asinine, idiotic, and just plain stupid.

It would be better to just move the first rifle hunt in 2B to the same time frame in Oct and each rifle hunt up a week and put the youth hunt where the 3rd rifle hunt currently is and reduce the number of tags on that hunt to reflect the youth hunt tag numbers (150). It would be a reduction in tag numbers on the 3rd rifle hunt from what it is now.

The biggest problem with NM and how it does its game rules is they lock them in for 4-5 years (whichever it is) with no chance for review and revision.

No scopes on muzzleloaders WILL cause more wounding, that's a fact that is undebatable.

Don’t like the Barb rule other than 34 being all OTC that’s not that bad. Shorter hunts and more hunts gives more opportunities,

Elk (16B, 16c, & 16e)I like quality over opportunity, but that’s me. So that doesn’t matter, except BHA and. NMWF will have ***** fit and will push harder for eplus changes that we have all heard about.
34 I don’t know about, but I kinda don’t like letting LO have “unlimited tags”

Ibex ??
2b is over due for this. Moving youth hunts sucks but I get it.

Bighorn rule good!

Antelope NOT A FAN of late sept/October!
Bucks will have broken rubbed off prongs/ And some what smaller horns because they shrink constantly. Also spacing the hunts out will help out the working man for vacations etc I’m sure ??‍♂️ This has everything crunched together.

Turkey cool!
Javi’s cool!

Muzzy is fine with me. We all could argue for or against this and what is primitive and to much technology all day.

Disagree with adding another ram hunt on the Gorge.

I've always believed they had way too many tags allocated for the late November youth deer hunt in 2B. Moving it to October again is asinine, idiotic, and just plain stupid.

It would be better to just move the first rifle hunt in 2B to the same time frame in Oct and each rifle hunt up a week and put the youth hunt where the 3rd rifle hunt currently is and reduce the number of tags on that hunt to reflect the youth hunt tag numbers (150). It would be a reduction in tag numbers on the 3rd rifle hunt from what it is now.

The biggest problem with NM and how it does its game rules is they lock them in for 4-5 years (whichever it is) with no chance for review and revision.

No scopes on muzzleloaders WILL cause more wounding, that's a fact that is undebatable.

Not any different from anything else. ??‍♂️ If anything it will get people closer to make a good shot.

Not any different from anything else. ??‍♂️ If anything it will get people closer to make a good shot.

You'd think archery guys would try and get close too in January, but I know people that fling arrows out to 100 yds anyway. When they wound they say "well, the coyote's got eat too, right?"

If this scopeless muzzleloader proposal passes, it will do nothing but start a war amongst our hunt community. Just what the non-hunting community wants. Tear ourselves apart from the inside out.

If they take Muzzleloader scopes then they need to move to archery next. The proposal they will be voting on next will be for compound bows. No sights of any kind including peeps, finger release only, no mechanical broadheads and no more slider bow sights alowing some to shoot 100 to 130+ yards. bowhunters now must get within 10-40 yards. That will give all animals a chance just like they say about scopes muzzleloaders and take archery back to primitive.

All this is going to do, if passed, is start a war and split hunters.

If this scopeless muzzleloader proposal passes, it will do nothing but start a war amongst our hunt community. Just what the non-hunting community wants. Tear ourselves apart from the inside out.

If they take Muzzleloader scopes then they need to move to archery next. The proposal they will be voting on next will be for compound bows. No sights of any kind including peeps, finger release only, no mechanical broadheads and no more slider bow sights alowing some to shoot 100 to 130+ yards. bowhunters now must get within 10-40 yards. That will give all animals a chance just like they say about scopes muzzleloaders and take archery back to primitive.

All this is going to do, if passed, is start a war and split hunters.

You can thank UT. They started the anti-tech crusade...

I’m with roadrunner. Removing scopes will result in more wounded animals. I can see a hunters pushing the ethical limit. We see it with every weapon we can currently hunt with now. I personally love hunting with my muzzy that is not a long range set up but it is scoped. I keep my shots within 200 but I feel I can make a better shot having a scope . I shoot a TC triumph and it’s consistency is already challenging enough for me lol. It’s great to see everyone voice their opinion! We just have to be carful what we’re ok with giving up as there will always be something next.

You'd think archery guys would try and get close too in January, but I know people that fling arrows out to 100 yds anyway. When they wound they say "well, the coyote's got eat too, right?"
And those are the people who need to be culled from the hunting group. Hunters who have no regard for the animals they hunt. Wounding animals happens to everyone. Shouldn't happen often though. If it does, you are doing something wrong. I love to archery hunt, and used to love muzzleloader hunting. The problem for me isn't scopes. It is people's laziness to close the distance and not caring if they wound an animal and never recover. I have wounded two animals in my life that I did not recover. One was a bad shot when I was young (pretty sure the deer survived), and another was an archery hunt that was a perfect storm. Twenty yard shot, double lunged him. He was at the top of a saddle, went straight down, and we are talking DOWN hill. A good 2500-3000 ft drop. Got into a bottom. Was spraying bright red blood with bubbles both sides. Could see places he tumbled down the mountain. At the bottom, got on a trail full of tracks and the bleeding stopped, full of scrub oak brush. We searched and searched for the rest of the hunt, could never find him. I know he was dead, but when the blood ran out, I knew we were in trouble in that area. Couldn't see ten feet from you anywhere. Both instances made me sick. That's what it should do to you. Make you feel like a horrible hunter, even if you tried everything you could to retrieve that animal. We owe the animals to take ethical shots and do everything we can to make it quick for them and retrieve them. But, stuff happens.

Knowing your limitations, and sticking to them is huge in hunting. Problem is people want to one up others. Shoot an animal further away than others can. Most people shouldn't be taking 300+ yard rifle shots, or anywhere near that with muzzleloaders. Scopes just turn everyone into snipers in their head. Think because they can see the animal in the scope, that they can make the shot. Or since they can put shots in a target on the range, with a great rest, and perfect conditions that they can do it in the field. My thrill for hunting is closing in on the animal. Outsmarting it. Using cover and the conditions to mask your stalk. I hunted a traditional muzzy hunt about a decade ago. Limited myself to fifty yards. Did not want to feel that sickening feeling of a wounded animal ever again. I shot targets every other day at 100, putting all shots in a paper plate. But, I stuck to my guns, and shot a deer at twenty yards.

Had a guy one year, who had a buck strapped to his quad, tell us he shot another smaller buck two days before. Said he couldn't find it, got "peetered out tracking it", then tell us he must have tracked it five hundred yards. I was young, maybe 19 at the time. Made a smart ass comment about "wow that is so far to track it!" Almost resulted in a fight. Went and found the buck he shot, but it had already been eaten and torn apart by coyotes. He maybe went a hundred yards tracking it. I was so pissed. That is the type of person who gives hunters a bad name.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom