Official re-issue process

txhunter58

Long Time Member
They have it in black and white now that the re-issue process will revert to: Post every Tuesday, Sell every Wednesday:

So does that mean that every Wednesday it's first come first served. Essentially you would have to be the fasted to click on the unit you're after right when it opens up at the exact same time every week? I never tried it back when it used to be like this, but that feels like a frozen website waiting to happen.

So does that mean that every Wednesday it's first come first served. Essentially you would have to be the fasted to click on the unit you're after right when it opens up at the exact same time every week? I never tried it back when it used to be like this, but that feels like a frozen website waiting to happen.
Yes, and yes you can expect that

The funny thing is that the CPWs official recommendation was to keep it was it was last year (random) because it helped spread out things for them and kept things from crashing. But the commission went against their recommendations.

The funny thing is that the CPWs official recommendation was to keep it was it was last year (random) because it helped spread out things for them and kept things from crashing. But the commission went against their recommendations.
that's frustrating

Yes, and they only did it that way for 1 or 2 years when they actually started putting tags back into the system, before that the tag just went to waste. Back then it crashed regularly and I bet there are 2 to 3 times as many people paying attention to the process now, they quickly realized it was not a good system and came up with the random process.

My guess is it will be this way for 1 year and they do something different next year.

So how did the commissioners determine the re-issue process needed changed? Was it based on the results of the survey sent out? I remember doing the survey and think it had questions about the re-issue process. Is memory serving me correct? If so, where can a person see the results of the survey?

I’m curious with the new process this year of getting a reissued tag, how it would work if you already have a tag. Let’s say hypothetically I don’t draw my first choice and draw my second choice (which could be likely this year with the point creep, that is likely to happen) then I see on Tuesday the tag I applied for my first pick in the reissued list but have my second choice tag, can you still pick up the tag on the reissue list and then afterward turn back the tag you drew as your second? How will that work?

I’m curious with the new process this year of getting a reissued tag, how it would work if you already have a tag. Let’s say hypothetically I don’t draw my first choice and draw my second choice (which could be likely this year with the point creep, that is likely to happen) then I see on Tuesday the tag I applied for my first pick in the reissued list but have my second choice tag, can you still pick up the tag on the reissue list and then afterward turn back the tag you drew as your second? How will that work?
No can do.

Thanks I guess I better decide what gamble I want to take in the game.

The list comes out on Tuesday. If you see the tag you want, you surrender the tag you have on Tuesday, and roll the dice on Wednesday. Course, you may come up with an empty sack.

I dont think they process it that quickly, i guess maybe if you went to an office in person it might work.

I mailed one in a few years ago and it took about 3 weeks.

Never surrendered one but with this process I gotta believe a 5 minute phone call would get you ready for Wednesday. Maybe another advantage resident?

Last edited:
The list comes out on Tuesday. If you see the tag you want, you surrender the tag you have on Tuesday, and roll the dice on Wednesday. Course, you may come up with an empty sack.
Yeah that was my thought hopefully I get my first pick and be done with it but I feel like it’s going to boarder line not get it. We will see guess it’s the roll of the dice on either end for me.

Never surrendered one but with this process I gotta believe a 5 minute phone call would get you ready for Wednesday. Maybe another advantage resident?
You can't surrender by phone you have to fill out a form and take the tag in to an office or you have to mail the tag and form to Denver.

Yep, NRs are SOL for turning back in an “A” tag and buying an “A” tag reissue. As said: advantage residents. Which is as it should be.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom