Ogden Meat Processor - BEWARE

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
Took 400lbs of boned out moose meat to Arnold's Wild Game Processing. I received 100lbs back. Here's a picture of ALL the backstraps I received back. 5 hockey puck sized packages that measure smaller than 1 deer backstrap.

I was turned down by 4 places (due to capacity) and had no choice but to use Arnold. I spoke personally to him about where the rest of my meat was and he told me there just isn't much meat on a moose. I asked him about the backstraps and he told me once you trim a backstrap, that's all you get.

I took a picture of what we left on the moose after processing in the field and a pic on the hoof. Tell me how it's possible I only have 100lbs of meat from the butcher?

BEWARE of Arnolds Wild Game Processing!

20201020_125917.jpg

20201003_123804.jpg

IMG_3323.JPG

Same thing happened to me a few years ago at a place in Erda. In hindsight I wish I would have called the local game warden to see what their take was on the situation.

I would call some type of law enforcement.
That happened to us one year on 4 elk. They tried to pawn off under half of the meat so I told them I was calling the DOW and cops and magically the rest of my meat was found 5 minutes later!

Something is amiss. There is no way you get only 100lbs of meat off of a good size moose.

I would call a game warden but not the police. A game warden has a better understanding of what goes into a moose hunt and may be more inclined to help.

Police or game warden will likely just tell you it is a civil matter and you will need to take him to small claims court. Then his liability may not be greater than what he charged you.

I can hear a judge telling you that being a crappy butcher is not against the law. This whole thing sucks, sorry for your loss.

what was you cost? my brother took in a elk minus neck meat to another processor in Ogden and got 115 lbs back. I processed my own elk and I know I got back 180 to 200 lbs,

Took 400lbs of boned out moose meat to Arnold's Wild Game Processing. I received 100lbs back. Here's a picture of ALL the backstraps I received back. 5 hockey puck sized packages that measure smaller than 1 deer backstrap.

I was turned down by 4 places (due to capacity) and had no choice but to use Arnold. I spoke personally to him about where the rest of my meat was and he told me there just isn't much meat on a moose. I asked him about the backstraps and he told me once you trim a backstrap, that's all you get.

I took a picture of what we left on the moose after processing in the field and a pic on the hoof. Tell me how it's possible I only have 100lbs of meat from the butcher?

Actually, You did have a choice. You could have cut it up yourself.

I know you are going to say you don't have Time, Space, Equipment, Ect. That's all BS. Make time. Cut it in the backyard on a plastic folding table, Buy a few knives and butcher paper.

Any time someone says they were screwed over by a processor I say you screwed yourself.

Cutting up meat isn't rocket science. There are dozens of Youtube videos that will walk someone step by little step through the whole process.

Ole Arnold probably has some of them Moose backstraps on the BBQ right now. Yummy

I know you are going to say you don't have Time, Space, Equipment, Ect. That's all BS. Make time. Cut it in the backyard on a plastic folding table, Buy a few knives and butcher paper.

Any time someone says they were screwed over by a processor I say you screwed yourself.

Cutting up meat isn't rocket science. There are dozens of Youtube videos that will walk someone step by little step through the whole process.

Ole Arnold probably has some of them Moose backstraps on the BBQ right now. Yummy
So do you make your own fuel for your vehicles ? They have YouTube videos for it. Are you too lazy? People shouldn’t have to worry about getting screwed by a business,that’s a bunch of bs

It'd Been a while Since I'd Had a Good Moose Steak!

Stopped By His Place & They Asked Which Cut I Wanted!

I Asked if they Had a Prime Rib of Moose!

Damn This is Tasty!:D:D:D

That’s messed up but I can tell you this much, I’ve been in on A LOT of moose kills and there’s no way you got 400 lbs of deboned meat off that small bull. You’re about 100 lbs off. Regardless that still doesn’t account for the lack of meat you got back.

Holy chit Matt !!!

What a nightmare. I brought 315 lbs of boneless, skinless elk meat with three pork shoulder roasts to Brad Wagler in Wapiti, Wyoming this year and got back about 300 lbs of incredible teriyaki jerky, roasts, backstrap cuts and burger. Had to buy a new 8.8 cu ft chest freezer the night I got back and damn near filled it.

I would be tempted to bring any of my premium critters all the way up there specifically to have him cut him up.

Sorry to hear about your bummer experience, but what moose where you on about ????

Cheers, Pete

View attachment 15375

View attachment 15376

View attachment 15378
This happened to me years ago at the processor on the side of the freeway on the way to American Fork. I can't remember his name but they do sell jerky sausage etc and hand out samples all day long.
We brought in a brute of a buck weighed in at 187 pounds on the scales hide and head off of him.
When I went to pick it up they brought out one grocery bag of meat. I said where is the rest and they told me that's it.
I raised all kinds of hell in there and they went back in and brought out another bad full. Not good enough so I kept raising hell and then two more bags came out.
What a rip off and he wanted to charge me $275 to cut it up.

Also they did something to the meat like singe it with heat? Worst tasting stuff I ever had.
That is why I ask the MM crowd in any area I am in, where do they go and now I usually get a great job done. Guys on MM are all about the deal.........

That is the reason myself and a buddy bought a grinder, stuffer, bags and a tape machine. We do all of our steaks, sausage and burger packaged just like the pros. We use the stuffer to stuff the ground meat in the plastic freezer bags then hit the tape machine.
We have less than $500 invested in everything we need. It saves so much expense and hassle.

Totally agree with you. I actually read the reviews after I dropped it off, and then got pretty nervous. I had been driving all around town trying to find a processor, so I was more focused on getting it in, but I should have took the time to read reviews first.

Actually, You did have a choice. You could have cut it up yourself.

Bold reply, but you are correct. You already listed all my excuses, so I guess I won't use them. Sometimes it's just easier to drop it off after a long hunt. But I did make that choice, and looking back I wish I would have just cut the dang thing up myself. Pretty sure that's going to be exactly what I do in the future. Thanks.

Were you local?
Non residents alway get ripped off..
But you deal with the shrinkage..it part of hunting out of your state.
Jestee

Cutting your own meat is great, but sometimes after hunting for a week straight and working your butt off, it's nice to have the choice of taking it in to be butchered. Don't get me wrong, cutting meat is part of hunting and doing it yourself brings a certain sense of accomplishment. However, sometimes there's little time and resources to get it done yourself and a butcher just makes things easier (except this time :( ).

Lots of people know how to change the oil on their cars, but they still go to Jiffy Lube. Lot's of people are capable of walking into a fast food restaurant, but most of them just go through the drive thru.

Convenience is nice sometimes. To each their own, so don't be a hater.

It’s been a tough year to find a good processor.
Due to COVID most of the good ones are slammed with domestic meat.
I’ve had several tell me there not even taking wild game this year.
But that’s a shitty deal, makes your wonder if you even got moose meat back.

I’ll say same thing. If you want the most out of your wild game take it in whole. If you take in quarters it will have more waste and if you take in boneless hacked meat it will even be less. Whole animals are the best solution, even whole animals you will loose 15% to waste, quarters you loose 30% hacked up boneless you will loose 50%, most people that bring in boneless meat bring with it lots of dirt, hair, and lots of extra work. When I use to cut meat I would charge more for boneless hack jobs.

I’ll say same thing. If you want the most out of your wild game take it in whole. If you take in quarters it will have more waste and if you take in boneless hacked meat it will even be less. Whole animals are the best solution, even whole animals you will loose 15% to waste, quarters you loose 30% hacked up boneless you will loose 50%, most people that bring in boneless meat bring with it lots of dirt, hair, and lots of extra work. When I use to cut meat I would charge more for boneless hack jobs.
That’s total BS. 50% for boneless? You’re smoking something

I’m not questioning the OP accusation of coming up short but some of you guys just crack me up.If you guys ever payed attention to how a good majority of the critters look when they arrive at the locker, you’d realize that no butcher in his right mind is stealing your game meat. You can bet if I was cutting up prime grain fed beef on a daily basis, I certainly wouldn’t swipe any meat from an overheated, punchered piss bag, rolled in the dirt, hair covered half green game animal that some stranger sported around in the bed of his pickup all day before being brought in.

Even with a good and honest butcher lot of times hunters expect a lot more meat than they get, but you better make sure of your butcher. There are a lot of unscrupulous butcher out there. Years ago I shot a big bull buffalo and that year an acquaintance also shot a very small cow buffalo. We used different butchers and he got 50 percent more meat than I did. Both were boned and there was no gunshot waste and mine was cooled immediately. I ask him about the shortage with no response. He shorted so many people he is no longer in business. Butchers come and go. Better have a list of good ones before you go hunting or cut your own meat up.

I process my own meat for 2 reasons: known handling and cost savings. I processed two elk this year myself and estimate I saved over $600 in processing fees this year alone!

In 2018 I dropped off a buck pronghorn at a WY processor for simple processing and some italian link sausage and the cost was right at $250! Walked away with less than 40 lbs!

In 2018 I dropped off a buck pronghorn at a WY processor for simple processing and some italian link sausage and the cost was right at $250! Walked away with less than 40 lbs!

I have weighed quite a few antelope, most good sized bucks weigh right at 80 lbs meat and bones hanging, no head or hide. 40 lbs cut meat is about right. The only processor I have used in Wyoming is Pat's in Mills. He charged $75 to cut and wrap a antelope. The link sausage would certainly raise the price but not to $250. I think you did ok with the amount of meat you got, you just paid a little too much

Exact reason I won't use a processor. People bring in hacked up meat that was not taken care of properly and it will get mixed in with my properly taken care of meat.

No meat left on the bones for the dogs when I process. All the extra meat that was "hacked" off gets thrown into the burger pile.

That said, I see a lot of people condemning the OP for going to a butcher. While I will advocate for self processing, not everyone will do that. People need to focus on the bad processor rather than shitting on the OP for whatever reason he used a processor.

Wow I have had this same feeling from Meat process places in the past not to this magnitude but that is why I decided I will process all my own meat from now on.

Hey, jasonb22 you actually can go wrong with Fords in Provo. I took an antelope in had it cut up and the thing tasted like it was left in the sun for a week. My dogs wouldn't even eat it. They tried to say it was my meat, and that I didn't dress it in the field correctly or ice it before bringing it in. I field dressed the buck, had a 100-quart cooler field with ice that the antelope went into within an hour or so of the kill, and then it went directly to Mr. Ford. I had taken some of the neck meat home to make some fresh stew with that I ate the day after the kill. That meat was great, the **** I got back from Ford's was not my meat. When I contacted Ford's they told me that was 100% my meat when I addressed my concerns they told me they had some other antelope they were cutting up for clients jerky and burger and they could give me some of that. Which didn't make sense at all, but I can tell you for certain while I got a decent return on my antelope I did not get my meat back and it was not edible. I haven't gone back and ironically all of my meat has been great since that time except the one time I used the place in Draper off the freeway. That meat is the same not great quality on my deer and sadly if it wasn't for school neither animal would have been sent to a processor. I will say this much I at least owned that I should have made time to cut my own meat up, and chalked it up as a life lesson. One that won't happen again. Granted old Ron who passed years ago in Helper Utah used to do a great job for my uncle I would constantly trade with my relative's cuts of deer for elk sausage that Ron made.

I have weighed quite a few antelope, most good sized bucks weigh right at 80 lbs meat and bones hanging, no head or hide. 40 lbs cut meat is about right. The only processor I have used in Wyoming is Pat's in Mills. He charged $75 to cut and wrap a antelope. The link sausage would certainly raise the price but not to $250. I think you did ok with the amount of meat you got, you just paid a little too much
We have used Pats exclusively since 1991. The original owner used to cut meat in Santa Maria, Ca where I live coincidentally. We have taken roughly 40 animals to Pats over the years and have never felt cheated. A couple of times we had to use High Country Meats and they were good too but more expensive than Pats.

Hey, jasonb22 you actually can go wrong with Fords in Provo. I took an antelope in had it cut up and the thing tasted like it was left in the sun for a week. My dogs wouldn't even eat it. They tried to say it was my meat, and that I didn't dress it in the field correctly or ice it before bringing it in. I field dressed the buck, had a 100-quart cooler field with ice that the antelope went into within an hour or so of the kill, and then it went directly to Mr. Ford. I had taken some of the neck meat home to make some fresh stew with that I ate the day after the kill. That meat was great, the **** I got back from Ford's was not my meat. When I contacted Ford's they told me that was 100% my meat when I addressed my concerns they told me they had some other antelope they were cutting up for clients jerky and burger and they could give me some of that. Which didn't make sense at all, but I can tell you for certain while I got a decent return on my antelope I did not get my meat back and it was not edible. I haven't gone back and ironically all of my meat has been great since that time except the one time I used the place in Draper off the freeway. That meat is the same not great quality on my deer and sadly if it wasn't for school neither animal would have been sent to a processor. I will say this much I at least owned that I should have made time to cut my own meat up, and chalked it up as a life lesson. One that won't happen again. Granted old Ron who passed years ago in Helper Utah used to do a great job for my uncle I would constantly trade with my relative's cuts of deer for elk sausage that Ron made.
That place in Draper is the worst I have ever used. Period the WORST

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom